• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Neighbor Yamada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
watch the show with Walter Amos so he can pause it and lecture me every few minutes on Austrian (and/or Prussian) history

Seconded. He should make a downloadable commentary a la Rifftrax. I'd pay good money for that.

With all the positive reviews it's been getting, I'll definitely be checking out Yamada. I dig the character designs and dub cast already.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
"Richard" has good taste. His selection of manga shows this, as well as the Haibane Renmei wall scroll.

Perks, sir.

(Also perks for full set of Empowered books, Glad someone else enjoys this)

Good reviews this week, and a cool take on B gata H kei. I may have to check this series out after all.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, Hotori isn't even cute.

proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, lol. I thought she was cute, including her quirky, cracking voice
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yay, another person who realizes the charm and truth of BGHK.

Anyways, is it just me or does And Yet The Town Moves look a lot like Amelia Bedelia? I wonder if there's an influence from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Bedelia
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Chiaki Omigawa has also become a favorite VA, she has a distinctive voice that fits the role perfectly.

Her voice has a hint of a faint squeek/screech that I found endearing in Seitokai Yakuindomo; In Yet the Town Moves, it's appropriately annoying. It's the performance that made the difference.

I haven't fully warmed up to the show yet as I've only seen two episodes On Demand; I'm still waiting for the fourth character from the ending to join the cast before I can accurately judge a four girl ensemble series. If it is one; Is there any reason this hasn't become a genre description in the encyclopedia?

What really cemented her as a favorite is her job as Minko in Hanasaku Iroha, showing she's not just a one-note comedic character. She plays the role mostly quiet and straight and her signature "squeek" doesn't even show up unless Minko is really upset.

The show does defy categorization slightly. It's slice of life but not in the way that it completely focuses on a quartet of girls doing things together, the characters come and go, some are in some sections and some aren't. It's a bit of a situational comedy but not in the way Wagnaria centers on the restaurant, eventually you realize it really does have a focus on the title's namesake, the town, and its townspeople. It's weird (one story features a time-traveler searching for a novelty snack), but not in the way My Ordinary Life is. It doesn't excel at any of these features but it does a very good job of integrating them all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
And Yet the Town Moves is shelf worthy (but I grabbed it as Soredemo by dling so yay)
Yamada is dump in the shredder worthy, just another romance series with a bs summary to convince people to buy it.
Hetalia is add more girls+ecchi and less yaoi then it's shelf worthy.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
So, is Sentai's release of Soredemo the broadcast version or the Japanese DVD version?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tonkatruck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi Everyone. This is "Richard." Thank you everyone very much for liking the manga collection. It made my day to see that so many people have the same tastes that I do. Surprised

(Long time site reader but first time poster)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
And Yet the Town Moves is shelf worthy (but I grabbed it as Soredemo by dling so yay)
Yamada is dump in the shredder worthy, just another romance series with a bs summary to convince people to buy it.

Goid lord we have a triple whammy here. Pirate elitism, response-baiting inflammatory statements, AND "Any show that doesn't pander to me sucks".

It's like everything wrong about anime fandom in one post.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
So, is Sentai's release of Soredemo the broadcast version or the Japanese DVD version?

20/1 it is going to be the dvd version.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
And Yet the Town Moves sounds interesting. I hadn't even heard of it before this, except maybe in passing. I tend to overlook things with maids for much the same reason I tend to overlook things with panty shots. I like the sound of the title, but the same was true of Heaven's Lost Property.

I like things that are actively unromantic or unsentimental, hence my love of Louie, so a show with a beach episode that at least partly subverts beach episodes is appealing. (I hate beach episodes) With a tearjerker finale on top, provided that it isn't too discordant or unearned, I might have to see it. I prefer that comedies be dubbed, but that seems unlikely to ever happen, so I won't hold my breath.

Between this and Rebecca Silverman's review, B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time is two for two in published reviews. When I noticed that it would be reviewed in Shelf Life, I expected it to make the rental shelf, so seeing it be made shelf worthy is a surprise. (Well, it was mostly savaged in the preview guide)

I haven't watched my copy yet, but I'm feeling ever more sanguine about having bought it.

I think that it would be interesting to compile a collection of comparative male and female reactions to the series, to contrast both opinions and the dominant themes of their reactions. I honestly thought that it would be just a crass, exploitative ecchi series, but although crass probably still applies, perhaps appropriately, I have seen some very approving reactions from women. I hate to overplay that, but the contradiction between my expectations and what the reactions have been was a big part of why I decided to buy it.

kanechin wrote:

Do you see a curious hypocrisy in what you've written here? It's a bit laconic, so I could be misreading you, but you you pretty much assert that something is bad because it appeals to female sexuality, but would be good if it appealed to male sexuality. If there's naught else, there's no need to be greedy.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Toaru Majutsu no Index represent. Nice collection there.

I have to second that. It's cool seeing the calendar being re-used as posters. Interesting pix of wall hangings too. Is that second one from Read or Die? Nice shelves!!

Aye aye. Liking those posters. I actually have those same two Kotobukiya figuers as well.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Between this and Rebecca Silverman's review, B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time is two for two in published reviews. When I noticed that it would be reviewed in Shelf Life, I expected it to make the rental shelf, so seeing it be made shelf worthy is a surprise. (Well, it was mostly savaged in the preview guide)

I haven't watched my copy yet, but I'm feeling ever more sanguine about having bought it.

I think that it would be interesting to compile a collection of comparative male and female reactions to the series, to contrast both opinions and the dominant themes of their reactions. I honestly thought that it would be just a crass, exploitative ecchi series, but although crass probably still applies, perhaps appropriately, I seen a few very openly approving reactions from women. I hate to overplay that, but the contradiction between my expectations and what the reactions have been was a big part of why I decided to buy it.

Actually I think women have been more openly positive about it from what I've seen. The male reaction has been more split down the middle. In a very subtle way, this show actually does feel like a female friendly sex comedy. But you'd have to watch it all the way to the end to get that feeling.

Funny thing is, I think I've read more male critics being bothered by the "100 sex partners" initial concept than female critics, who seem to not really care all that much about it other than it being a quirky premise. This reaction of course is what has produced some of the more fascinating discussions online.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Actually I think women have been more openly positive about it from what I've seen.

I meant to say something like that, but I garbled up the wording. I wanted to guard against overstating an relationships between gender and opinion on it since I couldn't really back a strong claim up. Hence my rhetorical curiosity in a comparison of parallel male and female opinions on the series. It seems like a ridiculous choice of show to try to treat so seriously, but what's interesting doesn't really discriminate on dourness or complexity.

bravetailor wrote:
Funny thing is, I think I've read more male critics being bothered by the "100 sex partners" initial concept than female critics, who seem to not really care all that much about it other than it being a quirky premise. This reaction of course is what has produced some of the more fascinating discussions online.

I've seen a little of that. An obvious angle is that it's lingering discomfort with female sexuality, something that almost any investigation into the past reminds us has a long history (such as this history of the vibrator! ), but I'll admit on the other hand I was made apprehensive because I thought that it would be an contrivance for pandering to a male audience, which I really don't like, especially at more than maybe an hours length.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Yeah, that whole "100 sex friends" bit I didn't bat an eyelash at really. Mostly because I figured that a virgin who has no clue what she's doing, wouldn't be doing it with 100 guys...anytime soon that is. Besides, if she wants to get it on with one hundred dudes, who am I to judge? I just liked that a girl was shown with an actual sex drive and it wasn't fetish based or anything.

Can't state how stoked I am to see B Gata H Kei as shelf worthy. And I'm glad another respected female anime columnist/reviewer is touting its comedic goodness. I must agree with others that the dub is hysterical. I'd rate it up there with Desert Punk's (another one of my favorite comedy dubs) use of crude terminology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4