• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haiyoru! Nyaruani / Nyaruko-san: Another Crawling Chaos (ONA/TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
For those who missed my post in the preview guide thread, Jason Thompson (who writes House of a 1000 manga for ANN) has started a series of articles on crunchyroll where he talks about the various cthulhu mythos references in the show.

Before you follow these links, please note that they contain references and screenshots from the ONA, which reveal things that you won't yet know if you've only seen the first episode of the latest tv series. They all relate to the fire-themed girl, and I don't think knowing them would really lesson your enjoyment of the new series, but if you absolutely want to avoid all spoilers, avoid clicking these links until after the nature of the relationship between Nyarko and fire-girl are revealed.

First article.

Second one.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I was quite pleased with the first episode. Looking forward to future episodes.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ah so the portraits on the wall behind them is H.P. Lovecraft on the left and August Derleth on the right. Yeah I never even heard of August before reading Jason's articles.

I was hoping he'd mention more backstory about H.P. Lovecraft influences in anime. I think one of the biggest to note would be back in the 90's with series directed by Toshihiro Hirano (Iczer-One, Vampire Princess Miyu). He never really prominently adopted H.P. Lovecraft characters into his series, he was just a fan of the horror elements and mythos and sprinkled them into his shows for a unique Western horror feel. But they were obvious enough to know that they were Lovecraft-based inspiration.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Ok so we found out why the monsters were after Mahiro, turns out spoiler[they wanted to use him on some sort of tv drama based on a BL manga,] surely a fate worse than death. Funny with the old guy saying that spoiler[a lot of good stuff going to hapen like putting a collar on him and draging him naked through a park], surely Nyaruko antics are better.

I like Nyaruko's habit of adding kun to the end of things that should be scary; like Dagon and Insmouth. It seems that there is not a lot of limits on space CQC, spoiler[their textbook said something along the lines that all that matters is that they think it is close quarters.] Oh, and delicious yuri, they do put some decent fanservice in, I did not really see much in terms of fourth wall breaking.

By the way I just look at the wiki page of Shantakspoiler[, Nyaruko was definetly trolling as it specificly states being afraid of Nightgaunts.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
There are so many references in this show.

Ideon, Big O, Kamen Rider, Scryed, Macross, One Piece, and Gundam were just the ones I caught from the second episode. I bet there are more that I just didn't catch.

Episode 2 wasn't quite as 'clocked up' as the first episode (needs a lot more gratuitous Kana Asumi Engrish) it was still quite enjoyable. This is one of my favorites of the spring season.

Interesting to see this on top of the spring pre-order charts (though Fate/Zero isn't solicited yet) as well. Xebec hasn't had a hit like this in a long time.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
So it seems all 3 installments of Haiyoru! Nyaruani are currently up on Crunchyroll for N.A. viewers. I imagine it doesn't matter which one you start with, but logically one would go with the first which is: The ONA.

I happened to catch it when only the ONA was simulcast. So that's the one I started with and that's the one I'll finish first since the episodes are so short.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
Whoa, this anime delivers by the bucketload. I quite honestly thing it could become one of my favourites. I hope our male tsundere warms up towards her. Damn, this show is just so good!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I hope our male tsundere warms up towards her.

Sadly, I doubt he ever will. He seems to belong to that long line of Japanese male teenagers who, when confronted with a cute girl with tons of personality who can brighten up his otherwise drab and pointless existence, becomes irritated instead of pleased. At least Fire Girl has taste, though.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sadly, I doubt he ever will. He seems to belong to that long line of Japanese male teenagers who, when confronted with a cute girl with tons of personality who can brighten up his otherwise drab and pointless existence, becomes irritated instead of pleased. At least Fire Girl has taste, though.

I assume that knowing that the girl he sees is actually a Cthulhu god (and he does seem to be well-versed in Cthulhu lore) is messing with his sense of appreciating her as a cute, sexy girl. (Although admittedly that didn't stop the one character in Galaxy Quest. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
I know it's a bland protagonist characteristic, but maybe this girl really is that annoying. Stopped clocks, etc.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
Caught the first episode last night. I was amused. The quick pace, general absurdity, and tongue-in-cheek and referential humor made for an episode with hardly a dull moment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It is is like he does not like the idea of making out with a creature of untold horor that may appear as a mass of tentacles, or a foul fog. Perhaps he wants to actially get to know her before giving into a demands of a creature that is all too excited about putting his winky in her nameless city. I would like to be carefull before doing something that could destroy my mind.

On another note, I decided to start reading some H.P. Lovecraft to get a little more involved, so far read: Nightgaunts, Dagon, The Statement of Randolph Carter, The Doom That Came to Sarnath, The Cats of Ulthar, The Nameless City, Herbert West - Reanimator, The Music of Erich Zann, The Lurking Fear, and The Hound. They can be hard to read, but not as hard as I expected.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I enjoyed episode 2, and am liking the show overall. It's not something I'm going to be anxiously awaiting each week, dying to see what happens, but it's definitely a pleasant diversion.

So, episode 2. I already knew that Kuko spoiler[was madly in love/lust with Nyarko] because of what I had seen from the ONA, but it was still amusing to see it revealed in the anime.

There seem to be a ton of references to Japanese "hero" shows like Super Sentai, which is kind of unfortunate from my perspective. Pretty much all of what I know of such shows comes from anime, in the form of parodies/tributes/references, and so I know enough so that I'm not completely lost with Nyarko-san, I still feel as if there are a lot of nuances and specific references that I'm not getting fully.

That I guess is my biggest issue with the show. Not those references specifically, just that the show in general makes a ton of references to other things, and there are a fair amount of them that go right over my head. Fortunately I understand enough to still find the show funny.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I have to say about Episode 2 is... Kuko shooting her hot flames into Nyaruko. Wink

For those of you unfamiliar with Kamen Rider; here's CR's guide on some of Nyaruko's poses.

There was a Kamen Rider Den-O reference too. Nyaruko says "Ore sanjou (I've arrived)" which is a catchphrase of Momotaros, a red Imagin from Den-O.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
That I guess is my biggest issue with the show. Not those references specifically, just that the show in general makes a ton of references to other things, and there are a fair amount of them that go right over my head. Fortunately I understand enough to still find the show funny.

Excel Saga was like that too, though: always throwing out more parodies and references than even well-schooled fans were likely to catch. That's why the ADVNotes extra was so valuable for that series.

I have little doubt that this one will eventually get a DVD release, so hopefully such a feature will be re-introduced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14