• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
tsuritama (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
With Tsuritama though, considering there is only going to be 11 episodes, I do wonder where this show will go. So far I am really finding the show hilarious and the main cast interesting as well.

Makes me wonder what will come next and that is what makes this series so fun to watch. I absolutely am really liking the art though, very colorful and very fitting as well.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So, spoiler[we have all four together by the end. Looks like the next episode should really get the ball rolling for the overall plot. Alien's sister has a pretty strange outfit.] What are the guesses we'll see cosplayers dressing as her next year?

I'm digging the intro too. That little alien dance...I think I might learn the moves. But I'd only ever do it when no ones around. Anyway, I keep meaning to say how much I'm enjoying the soundtrack. It fits the show well, with quirky instrumentals.

The characters are shaping up nicely. Looks like glasses has a lot going on in his home life. spoiler[I'm assuming his mother is dead, and his dad is "dating around".] Wonder if that will be developed any further?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I loved episode two, like, a whole ton. I think since the first episode did a good job of introducing the characters and establishing the premise, I was able to just go with the flow and get caught in the episode's pace. I hope the quality of the visuals and the funnies continues throughout the entire series, I love the fact both aspects are so unconventional (but in a good way). I had more than one belly laugh this time round, most notably both times Akira appeared... spoiler[Popping out of the sand and introducing himself to the class as 25 years old] Laughing Don't even get me started on the duck.

Haru's sister is pretty hot and totally appeals to my fetish for the less common Japanese dialects. There was also a decent helping of plot development, with spoiler[Yuki's grandma being more frail than she lets on and Natsuki's issues at home]. So yeah, a great episode for me.

Oh man, before I forget, a shout out to Kuricorder Quartet, who do a sterling job on the soundtrack. It fits the show perfectly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
This show is playing with my emotions, dang it! OTOH, Haru and his spoiler[weirder sister] are scary. Their water guns are the freakiest things on this show (and that's saying a lot). But Haru is so likable, and when I saw him cowering at the site of Akiraspoiler[ in the classrom], it made me upset at Akira! (Maybe he's a spy! Maybe he knows about the aliens and he wants to expose them and capture them to use in experiments! Crying or Very sad) In any case, Tapioca is an awesome character, and I hope we get a lot of duck-character-development in the story! Razz

Okay, when Natsuki's personality changed spoiler[at the sight of his sister,] I immediately assumed she had the nefarious Mysterious Anime Illness. (you know, the one in which a character gets very weak and starts coughing up blood for plot reasons, or to get the audiences sympathy, etc?) But it seems Natsuki has Problems at Home instead. I definitely agree with Botan24 on the details. What worries me now is that Haruspoiler['s grandmother may have Mysterious Anime Illness instead!]

I love the music for this show, it really fits the animation. Akira's theme threw me off a bit, though (Is it supposed to be Indian-influenced or something?) The opening dance is a bit hypnotic. I don't think this show will be popular enough for it to become the new "Hare Hare Yukai," but I'm both excited and terrified by the prospect that it will! Laughing
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ok...so after the second episode i'm suddenly not sure about this one anymore. granted, it's weeeiiiirrrd and it certainly makes sure to tell you that often enough. haru is becoming increasingly annoying whereas i could certainly like him after the first episode.
and haru's sister...jeesh, a lame gimmick that certainly is completely unnecessary to the episode.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
But Haru is so likable, and when I saw him cowering at the site of Akira

I thought his fear of the cat was even more interesting. Made me think he has something deeper in common with that fish in the bowl he carried around in episode one.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that fish from the bowl spoiler[actually his sister?]

That's the impression I got. And yeah, Haru's fear of cats and affinity with fish suggests he's aquatic himself, and that ties in with the story riiiight at the beginning.
missmollysmad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This episode was a little less engaging and I found myself getting bored with it by the end. Natsuki's attitude pisses me off and am hoping there is a reason for it. Looking forward to seeing how Akira will fit in to the group.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

That's the impression I got. And yeah, Haru's fear of cats and affinity with fish suggests he's aquatic himself, and that ties in with the story riiiight at the beginning.

I totally missed that and now I must rewatch both eps. That would be extremely interesting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

That's a brilliant idea, I love it!

I loved Haru's line: "That's right, humans can't swim." It certainly suggests that he's a fish being of some sort. Heck, maybe he wasn't afraid of Akira at all...maybe he was afraid of the duck! I want to see ep 1's intro again and see how it might tie in to Haru.

As for Natsuki, he raised sympathy points with me this ep. Lots of teens act angsty and antagonistic for no reason. spoiler[But having dad date much younger ladies only two years after mom died/left?] That would set the majority of teens off. And he really cares about his little sister (In the normal family, protective way, not the, uh, "Why is my sister so damned cute?" way). So he has a heart, he's just taking out his frustration with dad out on his new peers...not nice, but very common. I'm almost positive his new friends will help him work things out! Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 certainly tells me a great deal of observations, but mostly, this series is going to be similar to Arakawa Under The Bridge, in the sense this series is more deep than initially one would think. This isn't just going to be a another comedy, I can tell this series is going to become rather interesting very quickly.

Yuki's is still my favorite character, but just from this episode alone, it's easy to tell that he is type that doesn't give up. Especially spoiler[ when he continued to try to perfect that fishing line and even asked Natsuki properly how to teach him how to fish.]

But the one character that stood out most to me was Yuki's Grandmother (Keito) in this episode. spoiler[ In episode two, she began to cough, but told Haru not to do this front of Yuki, nor tell him about this either, which leads to figure out what the promise was that he made with Yuki's Grandmother.

I am going to guess the promise at first "Be Yuki's friend." But I think there is much, much more to that. Now I think it's "Quite frankly, my health is not exactly that great, so I want to be not only be Yuki's friend, but help him make other friends as well. Also, please take care of him and keep this between us exclusively."

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the Grandmother knows that Yuki doesn't have any friends and more or less can gauge that he becomes stressed, so that that likely the promise. I am thinking at this point, the Grandmother is the only living relative for Yuki and probably realizes that she isn't getting any younger, so that is why she choose Haru. For a Grandmother character in this type of show, that level of depth is quite unheard of, at least I haven't seen this in years.]

Haru's though spoiler[ I think may actually be a alien, or rather a fish. His aversion to cats and childlike attitude only further prove this point. This actually may not be true, but I just have this feeling that is case. I had a feeling his squirt gun wasn't just filled with plain water though.]

Natsuki though has shown me he isn't just the typical straight laced calm guy in the bunch. spoiler[ I don't blame him for being angry given that your Dad is dating that are young enough to be your older sister right after your Mom left/passed away. I also like the fact he is protective of his sister and cares about her, but thank god not in the creepy way that is shown often in modern anime shows. I can't tell you how much that creeps me out.

I also think being friends with Yuki and Haru will make him feel better, as that was pretty visible when Yuki asked him to teach him how to properly fish. If he was truly a typical calm straight laced guy, he probably wouldn't have shown that much emotion or even cared.

I am glad there is more to him than the show let on though.]

I am thinking spoiler[ that fish in the tank Haru was carrying is his sister and that makes sense that he could talk to the fish, given that he himself is likely also a fish. I do wonder how old she is though, she seems as if she could be in her early 20's, which would make sense.]

The guy with the duck for what ever reason gives me the impression spoiler[ that he is a spy of some sort. Although this is a anime series, I did find this rather kind of odd that he joined the same class as Haru and Yuki. I mean given he is 25 and a full decade older than the rest of the cast, you'd think that wouldn't happen.

If it weren't for the duck (Tapioca) though, this guy might actually look really creepy to others. Not that I can blame them though. He might be a demon or some sort for all we know though.]

Overall this is a great series and hope that Sentai does dub this series when said series is released in DVD format. Probably won't happen, but with Sentai, this might happen.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 had convinced me to stay, but the beginning of the second made me realize that I missed a key factor: the blond boy.

I don't like him. His attitude and voice are both very annoying. And right now it seems he'll be on-screen the entire time.

The series looked pretty good overall, but in a balance it comes off as negative. It's probably all about my intolerance, though.

And this is where I'm abandoning the boat.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Yes, I thought so, too. I just was a little more cagey or less certain than you.

At first I thought Haru was somehow related to the princess in the opening fantasy saga of episode one. Now I'm more convinced that Oba-san Keito is tied to the princess. (I don't know why she's ill though; tuberculosis, maybe?) Yuki, I think, is connected to the dragon, especially given his red hair and how he imagines being submerged when anxious.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
All together now! Enoshima! BOWLLLLL

So if Kids on the Slope is the straight-A, triple-threat valedictorian of this season's Noitamina, Tsuritama is the mad-cap artist on anti-depressants who probably failed his science course but literally bowled over his English teacher one day in class. Not always consistent, and maybe annoying or even unlikable depending on your perspective, but never dull, frequently hilarious and occasionally even transcendent.

So far it's striking an excellent balance between the human and the bizarre, as well. You have a secret organization who inhabit a duck curry trolley, who take orders from an Ikuhara-esque council of wierdos. You have a family of aliens who can hypnotize (and possibly communicate) with water. But then you have a wonderfully warm and detailed setting, Nakamura's signature aesthetics used to calm instead of to unsettle, and a protagonist who is pathologically nervous and reserved while at the same time coming off as sympathetic and likable.

The other characters (except for the grandmother, who's pretty amazing) had yet to endear themselves before this, but all of them did an admirable job this episode. Akira stole every scene he was in, Natsuki cracked a grin for the first time and even Haru showed some spine. Couple that with what is essentially a highly entertaining how-to guide on fishing and you have an easy contender for one of the season's best. And considering this season, that is saying a lot.

There remains an unsettling tinge lurking in the background, though. Considering the show's mythic underpinnings, and the constant threat of death, apocalypse and conspiracy, could this show be about to pull a Penguindrum on us? Maybe Tsuritama is a fellow in the "aquatic magical realism" genre in more than just name only.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
great third episode that finally lived up to its promise. almost every character showed some depth.
the secret organization meeting was hilarious as were plenty of other scenes where I had to laugh out loud.
keiko keeps being one hell of an awesome character and spoiler[i sincerely hope that she gets out of this series alive.]

well played tsuritama, well played.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5