• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Acquires Scan2Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Primus wrote:

Written by Japanese people. Animated (well, probably just key animated) by Japanese people. Directed by Japanese people. Funded in part by Japanese people. Not a Japanese show because it didn't air in Japan.

I don't see anything about the writing and direction being done by the Japanese. For all we know, it could simply be a case of animation outsourcing, like Madhouse episodes of The Boondocks.

It's totally Japanese. Most countries got the Japanese version, in which has a complete Japanese credit listing left in Japanese, including the names of the original voice actors. I'm importing the R3 Taiwan DVD, which also includes the Japanese audio track.

EDIT: Just for back up:

Took these from the Portugal airing, I believe. The first image shows the Direction, which is Japanese and Korean. The second one lists the Japanese voice actors. The third one lists the Script Writer, Storyboard Artists, and finally Episode Director. Notice the Script Writer, Storyboard artist and Episode Director have a Japanese person assigned, with two of those having a korean person in charge as well.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
It's totally Japanese.

It's an international co-production, but it has enough Japanese input to be considered anime. Mea culpa.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
It's totally Japanese.

It's an international co-production, but it has enough Japanese input to be considered anime. Mea culpa.

Whoops, I meant to word that differently. Didn't mean it's entirely Japanese, just that it IS Japanese, just not that it is completely 100% Japanese. Sorry for the confusion.

I really hate the English language, sometimes...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
A warning sign always goes up when you hear something never even aired in Japan. Maybe it's like Thundercats. Co-produced in Japan, but they don't want it so they never aired it. Japan will animated and help co-produce anything if you pay them.

Still, I'll check it out and scrounge around for the Japanese (or at least Korean) language track.

Ashes of Astroworld wrote:
Legend of Korra would like to have a word with you.

Despite what other people claim, the actual worst thing about Korra is all the people who are inevitably going to use it as an example for female lead shows, as shown here. Korra will not have a word with anyone, as it's an entry in an established franchise, and only one example out of the dozens of male-dominated shows on the air. It is an exception with many privileges and safety nets set up so it couldn't fail, not the rule. Pretty Cure would be a new IP for America, and a huge risk with no name-brand recognition to help it.

His statement still stands; Pretty Cure just won't work in America.

Phi Brain is just out of the question, if Yu-Gi-Oh's treatment in America is anything to go by. I don't think they'll be too happy with games of life or death.

Quote:
Cartoon Network's want of toyetic franchises makes me wonder why they didn't keep Sym-Bionic Titan going.

It got awful ratings for one, one of, if not the lowest rated show on their then-Friday block.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, another one of these shows. Yeah, a couple of years back, CN UK tried the same thing with some other sort of "This was clearly animated in North Korea and/or a chinese animation farm" Toy car deal with a similar name (Flash and Dash, I believe).
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll watch it, but I don't usually enjoy Japanese/Korean collabs. Oy, Tai Chi Chasers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'll dub it like Duel Masters, which nobody heard the series about till it actually aired locally. Laughing
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Primus wrote:

Written by Japanese people. Animated (well, probably just key animated) by Japanese people. Directed by Japanese people. Funded in part by Japanese people. Not a Japanese show because it didn't air in Japan.

I don't see anything about the writing and direction being done by the Japanese. For all we know, it could simply be a case of animation outsourcing, like Madhouse episodes of The Boondocks.

It's totally Japanese. Most countries got the Japanese version, in which has a complete Japanese credit listing left in Japanese, including the names of the original voice actors. I'm importing the R3 Taiwan DVD, which also includes the Japanese audio track.

EDIT: Just for back up:

Took these from the Portugal airing, I believe. The first image shows the Direction, which is Japanese and Korean. The second one lists the Japanese voice actors. The third one lists the Script Writer, Storyboard Artists, and finally Episode Director. Notice the Script Writer, Storyboard artist and Episode Director have a Japanese person assigned, with two of those having a korean person in charge as well.

Ironically, ANN doesn't have this show in their Encyclopedia Entry.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
This Korean anime was kinda decent..The English dub version was dubbed by Blue Water Studios which is good. Very Happy
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Despite what other people claim, the actual worst thing about Korra is all the people who are inevitably going to use it as an example for female lead shows, as shown here. Korra will not have a word with anyone, as it's an entry in an established franchise, and only one example out of the dozens of male-dominated shows on the air. It is an exception with many privileges and safety nets set up so it couldn't fail, not the rule. Pretty Cure would be a new IP for America, and a huge risk with no name-brand recognition to help it.

Korra is, of course, the exceptions which proves the rule.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
It's not even real anime, since it never aired in Japan. Why doesn't CN license some good kids' properties like Pretty Cure or Phi Brain?

Makes sense.

So many conditions for a show to be considered this one word.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Maybe they'll dub it like Duel Masters, which nobody heard the series about till it actually aired locally. Laughing

I had heard of both Scan2Go and Duel Masters prior to them being picked up in the US, but I suppose I am a no-one... Sad

Conan-san wrote:
Oh, another one of these shows. Yeah, a couple of years back, CN UK tried the same thing with some other sort of "This was clearly animated in North Korea and/or a chinese animation farm" Toy car deal with a similar name (Flash and Dash, I believe).

Flash and Dash has horrendous animation, but that opening song is pretty cool. The show's from China, and for some reason was dubbed into English by Ocean proper in Vancouver...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Ironically, ANN doesn't have this show in their Encyclopedia Entry.

Really sorry about that. Embarassed Due to no one has submitted this title, I was not aware of it until receiving a newsletter earlier today from the R3TW DVD licensee ChibiGoku mentioned. The ultra-heavy rainfall is also affecting my Internet connectivity. Anime dazed

I've added to the Encyclopedia. Arrrgh another case of the same company acronym.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2