• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Kids on the Slippery Slope

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
And even if they have to spend a little extra money to license the show's many, many different jazz songs, it's *probably* worth it in the long run - this is a show that can legitimately state "FROM THE CREATORS OF COWBOY BEBOP."

Tying yourself to one of anime's few mainstream hits has to be worth a few song licensing fees, don't you think?

No, not really. When people think of Cowboy Bebop, they're thinking of the characters, setting and atmosphere, and even the music isn't just old jazz played by duo of teenagers. They thick action, explosions, cool guys smoking. Works for Samurai Champloo, but just carrying the music label over won't be enough.

Exactly. I didn't watch Cowboy Bebop just for the action. I watched it for those reasons. And a show about Jazz players in school can have just as good characters, setting, and atmosphere, even if it isn't the same genre.
I would never have checked out Sakamichi from the first episode's broadcasting without the Cowboy Bebop label. But that might just be me.

But yes, I have to agree with both Brian AND bj_waters here. I personally feel closer to Brian's take on "hype," but I also know that trying to combat humanity's "natural" instincts with reason is usually impossible. Still, explaining that kind of stance to someone doesn't really hurt. I mean, the more people who are aware of how "hype" works, the more people are likely going to avoid being caught by it, for better or for worse.

Really, it's kinda sad when something I like gets so hyped up that peoples' expectations overshoot the gun and are nowhere close to the series itself--not to say the expectations aren't within reason or that the show itself is bad, but sometimes they're so far off the mark, the people who have them just can't understand or care about the true intent of the series like those who go into it without many expectations at all.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
E3 was disappointing overall. Mainly Sony ignoring the Vita and barely anything new or a new IP. Fire Emblem, Tokyo Jungle, Paper Mario, and some other games saved it from being very bad for me.
mirajane_fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
alright so atleast we understand that hype can ultimately lead people to go against the hype current and ignore it overall, just because they dont want to be followers, or they can be overstimulated by the hype and expect diamonds, and when they get gold...its just not good enough. i think that examples like these show just how much luck a show needs to really live up to whatever amount of hype the viewers give it.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
Thank you!

See also: overrated, which has become an internet way of saying, "I didn't like that as much as anyone else did & my opinion is to be viewed as a Universal Truth." without actually providing a valid set of reasons other than, "I didn't like it."

I'm glad someone else mentioned this. Saying something is 'overrated' is so narcissistic, because as you mentioned it inherently implies that everyone who disagrees is wrong.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
mike.motaku wrote:
Thank you!

See also: overrated, which has become an internet way of saying, "I didn't like that as much as anyone else did & my opinion is to be viewed as a Universal Truth." without actually providing a valid set of reasons other than, "I didn't like it."

I'm glad someone else mentioned this. Saying something is 'overrated' is so narcissistic, because as you mentioned it inherently implies that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Not really. You're making a baseless assumption that the individual is suggesting that their opinion is inherently valid, as opposed to simply saying that their own personal experience of it did not warrant the effect/pleasure that was expected, based on prior descriptions. The expectations were not met, and it falls into a matter of opinion and preference.

Brian, himself, has admitted that one's opinion or preference isn't necessarily right or wrong.

Anyway, I hope Kids on the Slope gets released, in tact, and does well. I think it's one of those cross over shows, that could appeal to a much wider audience, beyond otakudom. Thought-provoking, socially relevant, and well-written series like KOTS, Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (just as Cowboy Bebop and Trigun did) could lead to a new anime explosion stateside, if given proper exposure.

It happened once, who's to say it can't again?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Not really. You're making a baseless assumption that the individual is suggesting that their opinion is inherently valid, as opposed to simply saying that their own personal experience of it did not warrant the effect/pleasure that was expected, based on prior descriptions. The expectations were not met, and it falls into a matter of opinion and preference.

Except most of the time people ARE implying those things.

"overrated" generally means "WAAAHHH PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T"
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Despite how people use it, overrated shouldn't even imply that something is bad. It just means it gets more high praise than it should (in one's opinion). For example, I love Final Fantasy VII, but even I will admit its overrated. And those insane FFVII fanboys can be pretty damn annoying.

Of course, people tend to use it to complain about something with a fan-following. That poor word has been twisted beyond recognition.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

You can't assume that is the case, and again that is a baseless assumption.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
It's winter con time here in Aus! (and my plans are Makise Kurisu and Nyarko :3) Interesting on the glomping, if you read the rules for Aussie conventions (at least in my state), it's not allowed. Thank goodness!

Wow is Haruhi up to the eight book already? Yay! Almost caught up to the Japanese release! And I'd argue that it must sell pretty well, since they have both the hardcover and softcover editions.

I hear a lot of people in Perth complaining about the massive amounts of Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, FF7 and Vocaloid cosplays Anime hyper Vampire Knight was pretty popular for a while too I think...I hadn't watched the show though so I annoyed my friend to no end by pointing at Vampire Knight cosplays and asking (over and over again because either my memory is poor or Vampire Knight isn't memorable enough) "which anime is that school uniform from?" XP

Oh...and I kinda stopped watching Kids on the Slope because it seemed less about the jazz and more about the love 'polygon' -_-
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You could say "overrated" is such an overrated word. Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Overated and overhyped anime ever?

Easy. Cowboy Bebop. It doesn't help [adult swim] has aired it constantly for over a decade and pretty much has made spoiler tags moot.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
One of the many things that annoyed me about Viz's release of the Honey and Clover anime (besides the crap subtitling job where they couldn't even keep characters names straight) was the fact they totally excised "Moon River".
Now, they didn't use any existing recordings of "Moon River", especially not the recording from "Breakfast at Tiffany's". They didn't use the lyrics, only Sayaka Ohara humming the song quietly, and Mayama's ringtone.

But presumably it cost too much for just the few bars here and there.

But it's a plot point! It's part of the storyline!!

So I'll be keeping an eye open for reviews of the Kids on the Slope DVD release, and if any music has been excised, then I ain't buying.

My fingers are very much crossed, because I want to buy this show, and i want it to be successful for Sentai.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You seem to have a real issue with people not liking that other people like stuff they may dislike.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

You seem to have a real issue with people not liking that other people like stuff they may dislike.

No shit I do.

I don't give a damn what you like or don't like, but I most certainly give a damn when you come in and start bitching at me for liking something.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

No shit I do.

I don't give a damn what you like or don't like, but I most certainly give a damn when you come in and start bitching at me for liking something.

While I do think that sometimes people can be unfairly bitched at in certain corners of anime fandom for liking certain kinds of shows (bishoujo, moe, harem, fanservice etc.), I'm not sure if it justifies going on a 'personal crusade' on all situations when people have issues with other people liking certain things.

For example, I can't see anything objectionable -- morally, aesthetically, even on 'just plain entertainment' basis -- if someone has issues that a racist, sexist, homophobic and OOC film like Transformers 3 is a big hit because people are willing to overlook these problems in favour of massive special effects, it's a perfectly valid objection. And I don't think it shows that they love the medium less; if anything, they probably care for it more. It's not harmless consumption after all: it sends the message to Hollywood execs that audiences don't really care for the finer details of the morals of the stories they watch. There's a strong reason why something like Red Tails had genuine difficulty of being produced in Hollywood even when the person behind it was George Lucas.

On the subject of being over-rated in anime, I tend to use 'under-rated' more often though. This is because I already have the slightly (annoying and fairly useless) tendency to avoid things that are too popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4