• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Wow Key knows his Fate timeline and pointed out the significance of the relationships from F/Z to F/SN. Great review man, but I was surprise the constant waves of dialogue would lower the story grade to a B+.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
i will def buy fate/zero when it goes down in price, 350$ is a little much for a 24 episode series. I can wait, when the price is down, who ever releases the series with a common price like 60$ has my money(hopefully released on blu ray, and funimation is the most likely candidate to grab this great gem, aniplex usually goes to them for a release in the US, or a price drop from them would be nice too Smile

Actually a pretty good chunk of Aniplex shows also go to Sentai, who already has the Fate/Stay movie and is likely trying for the original series as well. I would sort of prefer them, as they'd be more likely to bring back the cast members that were available.

However, I've heard this is a really expensive license, so it's quite likely that we may not see an English language release for some time, and if we do, it could be Aniplex that does it themselves.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
"B+"?!

Oh, come on!

It deserve at least an A.

It's one of the best anime shows ever made.

I agree...

...But my opinion is only my opinion. =P
And really, my opinion of the anime adaption itself was lifted higher by my opinion of the novels and sound dramas (and "Heaven's Feel"), since I was reading/listening to them alongside the anime. Those made me forget every important element that the anime adaption was missing. It could've done a better job at explaining certain things, and it could've at least gave some more context for some of the things it showed in relation to Fate/Stay Night and Heaven's Feel as well, since Heaven's Feel is important in understanding this... and Heaven's Feel has no adaption outside the visual novel as of yet.
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I do make an effort to address points that are talked about extensively in the discussion threads.

I call shenanigans! If that were true, then there should be...like...at least two paragraphs about Kayneth El-Malloi! Laughing

That said, we seem to have come away from F/Z with incredibly similar feelings towards it. I'd fall slightly on the other side of the Is-this-an-A-or-a-B fence, though, giving it an A- instead of a B+. Then again, I was never bothered by the talky. I liked the talky.

And to everyone else about the Rin episode: I liked the Rin episode. It wasn't my favorite, but it was enjoyable. But more importantly (and especially when taken from the imaginary perspective of someone with no F/SN knowledge), it helped make her feel like an actual, organic character in the setting, rather than just a shout-out or incidental part of the background.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Key wrote:
I do make an effort to address points that are talked about extensively in the discussion threads.

I call shenanigans! If that were true, then there should be...like...at least two paragraphs about Kayneth El-Malloi! Laughing

That said, we seem to have come away from F/Z with incredibly similar feelings towards it. I'd fall slightly on the other side of the Is-this-an-A-or-a-B fence, though, giving it an A- instead of a B+. Then again, I was never bothered by the talky. I liked the talky.

And to everyone else about the Rin episode: I liked the Rin episode. It wasn't my favorite, but it was enjoyable. But more importantly (and especially when taken from the imaginary perspective of someone with no F/SN knowledge), it helped make her feel like an actual, organic character in the setting, rather than just a shout-out or incidental part of the background.

I think that the "talk" stuff is more about personal preference. Not only did the talk not bother me--I found it very intriguing and important in setting up the story. It didn't bore me at all... but I did see a lot of people who hated it and even gave up the series because of it. "Nothing is happening!" they say... "Just sit down and shut up!" I say... "But it's boring!" they say... "Then go watch a flashy Hollywood movie or grow some patience!" I say...
But to each his/her own.

But yeah. I agree on what you said about Rin's role. It fleshed her out, regardless of whether she was important to this portion of the series or not. It didn't FEEL pointless, and I certainly liked being able to see how she was as a kid and how it compared to her as a teenager... but I also feel like there were some more important things to put in the first season that just weren't addressed... or would only appear in the BD/DVD release...
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
I must say that I agree with the ratings, although possibly because of different reasons. For the general anime fan it's definitely a B+. But for Type Moon fans it's an A+. That's not saying this rule of thumb strictly applies to everybody.
Type Moon write for their fans, this is also why I really like them. Can't always please everybody, so why not focus on the ones you can?
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Key wrote:

I call shenanigans! If that were true, then there should be...like...at least two paragraphs about Kayneth El-Malloi! Laughing.

Yeah, what gives?? Laughing
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
mckg1 wrote:
i will def buy fate/zero when it goes down in price, 350$ is a little much for a 24 episode series. I can wait, when the price is down, who ever releases the series with a common price like 60$ has my money(hopefully released on blu ray, and funimation is the most likely candidate to grab this great gem, aniplex usually goes to them for a release in the US, or a price drop from them would be nice too Smile

Actually a pretty good chunk of Aniplex shows also go to Sentai, who already has the Fate/Stay movie and is likely trying for the original series as well. I would sort of prefer them, as they'd be more likely to bring back the cast members that were available.

However, I've heard this is a really expensive license, so it's quite likely that we may not see an English language release for some time, and if we do, it could be Aniplex that does it themselves.

Probably in a DVD like Kara no Kyoukai.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
Probably in a DVD like Kara no Kyoukai.

I find that unlikely. I think that Kara no Kyoukai was more of a treat for the fans than business. Or at the very least not done for business purposes only.

Not to mention that it's an abstract show, thus a smaller fanbase. Fate on the other hand, already has a more established fanbase (which I dare say, is numerous times bigger than KnK), besides qualifying as an action series.

But ultimately, it probably comes down to whether or not a licensee will offer the amount they desire. Can't deny that at least to my poor eyes, the animation quality seemed pretty close to cinema.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I think that the "talk" stuff is more about personal preference. Not only did the talk not bother me--I found it very intriguing and important in setting up the story. It didn't bore me at all... but I did see a lot of people who hated it and even gave up the series because of it. "Nothing is happening!" they say... "Just sit down and shut up!" I say... "But it's boring!" they say... "Then go watch a flashy Hollywood movie or grow some patience!" I say...
But to each his/her own.

I thought about going with the A- instead, but the reasons I didn't are because the talky aspect did throw off the pacing some in places and there are a few too many occasions where certain details are either unclear or not sufficiently fleshed out if one hasn't also read the source material. (The businesses with Berserker and Kariya at the end were particular problem spots on this front, but not the only ones.) If expected enhancements are done for the Blu-Ray release then that version might more warrant the A-.

And for the record, I saw the Rin episode before I watched any of F/SN. Thus I was already conditioned to be a Rin fan by the time I started watching F/SN. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I thought about going with the A- instead, but the reasons I didn't are because the talky aspect did throw off the pacing some in places and there are a few too many occasions where certain details are either unclear or not sufficiently fleshed out if one hasn't also read the source material. (The businesses with Berserker and Kariya at the end were particular problem spots on this front, but not the only ones.) If expected enhancements are done for the Blu-Ray release then that version might more warrant the A-.

And for the record, I saw the Rin episode before I watched any of F/SN. Thus I was already conditioned to be a Rin fan by the time I started watching F/SN. Smile

This, I suppose I understand. I was reading the source material alongside it, sometimes getting further in the novel, further in the Sound Drama, or further in the anime... and I only finished "Heaven's Feel" from F/SN right before the second-to-last episode, so those events actually made sense to me... but even though it might've been brief, there were a few moments where I got confused in the anime. For instance:

1) spoiler[When Kiritsugu was younger and he shot his father, he was... kinda emotionless. I thought he cared about his father, but that scene seemed kinda... weird. Hard to justify. Where was his confusion? Where was his despair? Did he really have the casual conviction to kill his father on the spot for something like that?] The next episode DID somewhat give a small explanation in how spoiler[Kiritsugu WAS admitted to be a bit inhuman in how he killed from the very start], but I still felt it made little sense UNTIL I read the novel for that scene. Then it felt a little more natural and I understood it.

2) spoiler[Lancer's past. It was kinda fleshed out in the anime, but Kayneth's dream just seemed like... a scene. It was there to give us his past to show his character briefly, but nothing else. In the novel, though, it made sure to emphasize that his past was EVERYTHING to him.] So I have to admit that I would NOT have been as moved by his later key scene had I not read the novel and been educated and pointed in that direction by it. It really helped.

3) And, of course, the Berserker thing. No need to talk about that, since I think we all get what's missing from that scene. If you haven't read the novel, look forward to the additional scene in the anime release~ <3

And yeah. I'm just conflicted about the Rin scene. It didn't NEED to be there, but it might actually be one of those fillers you don't mind because it's actually... helpful. It sacrifices screen time, but still uses it effectively, even if it detracts a little from this particular story.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I must say that I agree with the ratings, although possibly because of different reasons. For the general anime fan it's definitely a B+. But for Type Moon fans it's an A+. That's not saying this rule of thumb strictly applies to everybody.
Type Moon write for their fans, this is also why I really like them. Can't always please everybody, so why not focus on the ones you can?

I'm NOT a Type Moon fan, and I still think this show is one of the best anime shows ever produced...

(Some of my favorite anime shows are: Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Berserk, Madoka Magica, Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura, RahXephon, Gurren Lagann, Vision of Escaflowne, Eden of the East, Now and Then, Here and There)
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
I'm NOT a Type Moon fan, and I still think this show is one of the best anime shows ever produced...

Like I said, it doesn't strictly apply to everybody.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I liked the "talky aspects", they really helped flesh out the characters and make the show intellectually appealing. The episode where the three kings sit down and chat over wine was probably the best in the entire series. It showed how the story could go beyond its Shounen-tournament roots and engage the brain, and I respect that.

egoist wrote:
Can't always please everybody, so why not focus on the ones you can?

Because that line of thinking is incestuous. It creates a closed loop where the same ideas are recycled over and over, and stops many new ideas (and new fans) from entering. There's nothing wrong with acceding to some of your audience's wishes. But you should never be so beholden to them that it hurts your own creativity.

It wasn't TYPE-MOON who wrote Fate/Zero, which may (in fact, almost certainly does) explain why despite the pacing issues it is a far better work than other TYPE-MOON adaptations. I mean, Garden of Sinners was so flawed that even the plot holes had plot holes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I liked the "talky aspects", they really helped flesh out the characters and make the show intellectually appealing. The episode where the three kings sit down and chat over wine was probably the best in the entire series. It showed how the story could go beyond its Shounen-tournament roots and engage the brain, and I respect that.

This scene seems to be pretty much universally loved. When people talk about the show being too talky, you can assume that scene isn't one they consider a problem. In fact, I'm pretty sure Theron specifically praised that scene in the review (or maybe it was here in the thread).

I think they're usually referring to ones like the circling scene with Kirei, Tokiomi and Kirei's father in the very first episode, or the lengthy Kirei/Gilgamesh discussions about Kirei's desires.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5