• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nisemonogatari Episodes 1-11 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Can someone explain how the reviewer gets the overall score? This is at least the 3 or 4th time I am left dumbfounded. Of the 4 parts rated separately it gets 2 A, and 2 B+ and the overall score is a B. Does not compute. That would average out to an A- , but excuse me this is not the single most overrated show of all time MMP, so of course it gets a B.
The overall score is whatever the reviewer feels the overall score should be; there is no computation, so it doesn't matter whether it computes. In this case, I suppose Carl thought that production values were high but the squicky parts dropped it a few notches.
Anthis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
Quality review Carl, you've got a new reader.

Nice to hear your thoughts on storytelling, style, design, artistic value and directing. I find these are often under-represented in reviews. Fair critique too, good read!

Looking forward to the next! (and to Kizumonogatari...)
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
Great review Carl! I hope that you will review Bakemonogatari when it is released on BD.As much as I liked Nisemonogatari I find Bake to be have the same amount of intelligence but it is much less frustrating to watch also we get to see more Senjougahara.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll doesn't have Bakemonogatari. Can I watch (and understand) Nisemonogatari without seeing it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Crunchyroll doesn't have Bakemonogatari. Can I watch (and understand) Nisemonogatari without seeing it?

You can try, but I doubt it would make much sense when you just stumble into a bunch of unknown characters blabbing on with each other about whether or not a girl can visit some other girl. It's a sequel series, regardless of how frivolous it gets, and the characters meet and solve big problems in the first series that lead directly into the second.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

No. Not even remotely.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Fan-service can skew in a lolicon direction; some borderline incestuous incidents;

Right up my alley Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
Those not finding substance should read Akira's take on it.

Akira wrote:

Nisemonogatari is quite the spectacular failure, in my book. It panders excessively to fans of its predecessor while maintaining little of its wit.

Thank you for that link. The above quote says, quite succinctly, what I think of Nisemonogatari.
soft-n-fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think it's wrong to fault a series on lolicon or incest. Just because the reviewer doesn't like those particular themes doesn't mean the series is to blame for them. While it is important to warn more sensitive viewers of that kind of controversial content, it shouldn't be a factor in whether the series is rated good or bad. It's different if those themes are handled poorly, but to downgrade Nisemonogatari just because those themes are in it? That's biased reviewing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
soft-n-fluffy wrote:
It's different if those themes are handled poorly, but to downgrade Nisemonogatari just because those themes are in it? That's biased reviewing.

I agree with this in the general sense, but I also think that those themes were handled a bit poorly in Nisemonogatari.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Can someone explain how the reviewer gets the overall score? This is at least the 3 or 4th time I am left dumbfounded. Of the 4 parts rated separately it gets 2 A, and 2 B+ and the overall score is a B. Does not compute. That would average out to an A- , but excuse me this is not the single most overrated show of all time MMP, so of course it gets a B.
The overall score is whatever the reviewer feels the overall score should be; there is no computation, so it doesn't matter whether it computes. In this case, I suppose Carl thought that production values were high but the squicky parts dropped it a few notches.

maybe they should just stated that overall score is not an average like most websites do.

I saw some video game website gives B, B, C,C. then overall C-.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I agree with this in the general sense, but I also think that those themes were handled a bit poorly in Nisemonogatari.

How exactly can you handle lolicon poorly?
Anthis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
DmonHiroro;
I don't agree with dtm42 but I'll try to answer that. I'd say you can treat the subject good or tasteless. For example, I liked the spoiler[toothbrush] scene a great deal. Fun execution, all suggestion. I'd consider contextless and blatant pantyshots poor handling. I should note that in this regard I consider Nisemonogatari good overall. Hope you get what I mean Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
青白

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
A friend of mine who was also watching Nisemonogatari around the same time as I did asked me whether or not he would let me brush his teeth randomly one day. I hadn't gotten to that point in the series yet. When I did, however, I punched him the next time we met.

Just out of curiosity is your friend's and your gender opposite?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3