• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: anohana Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I gave up on this one after three or four episodes. I thought Menma was annoying and didn't really care about anyone else. After an episode blown watching people play Pokemon and the silliness of that one guy spoiler[disguising himself as Menma] I'd had enough.

Pretty much same story with me. I'll add that Jinta was an intensely boring character and the rest of the cast (besides chubby) were balls of passive-aggressive moping and no amount of promised character development could make me care about anyone in the show.

That said, the review does point out what the show does well.

Edit:
I think my distaste for the show mostly stems from the fact that I couldn't identify with anyone or the situation, so it was very tiresome to watch. Objectively, I can't really fault the show for doing well what it's trying to do; it's just not something I could get into, and even with constantly hearing how cathartic the ending is, that only works if you can connect with the cast and/or appreciate the story.

Last edited by Veers on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The third, and most egregious, is that the ending theme is so catchy I can't stop listening to it.

You should listen to the original by Zone, if you haven't already, as it is a absolutely beautiful song.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I have three big problems with this show.

The first is that Menma could have just picked up a pen at any point and proven to the other kids that she was a ghost.

The second is that the ending tried too hard to be emotionally moving. At best it came off as unintentional comedy. And at worst it was downright incompetent and slightly ruined what was a hitherto great show.

The third, and most egregious, is that the ending theme is so catchy I can't stop listening to it.

it wouldn't have worked that way, menma could only write on something that belonged to her while she was alive like that journal.

I agree with the rest, the ending was just Anime cry although at least it ended biter sweetly instead of not ending at all. I will also agree with the ed being very catch so much so that I'm willing to share this music sheet I got from another fan~

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?g62i1ronc1fbvmb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Heart of Diamonds, reporting for duty, sir!!

These kids take their games seriously.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The second is that the ending tried too hard to be emotionally moving. At best it came off as unintentional comedy. And at worst it was downright incompetent and slightly ruined what was a hitherto great show.

My thoughts exactly. That spoiler[massive cry-fest] in the last episode got me chuckling. It was more overdone than burnt chicken. And this coming from someone who cries rivers over Clannad After Story.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite series from last year. While I can't say it's one of the best, it was tragic and emotional. The ending was pushed a bit..but I still enjoyed this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Why am I not surprised that even though Anohana in general is one of the most well received anime of the last 18 months, 80% of the posts in this thread are people bitching about it?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Why am I not surprised that even though Anohana in general is one of the most well received anime of the last 18 months, 80% of the posts in this thread are people bitching about it?

What, I'm not allowed to point out the flaws in a show that I loved? We're not allowed to express regret about how the ending was a black mark on an otherwise fantastic show?

What you're after is for people to love shows so blindly that they cannot see the flaws. Well here's a newsflash for you; 99.99% of Anime have at least one flaw in them. Trying to stop fans of the show from pointing out those flaws is silly. What, you think only 'haters' are allowed to have a problem with a show?

We aren't "bitching", we're focusing on what the show did wrong in a calm, analytical and rational manner. Deal with it.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

Because it has legitimate problems and is far from flawless? So it's well-received, that doesn't mean everyone has to love it or even enjoy it fully. "Aye crai erry thyme" doesn't automatically give it a pass with full marks, and I don't buy it.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

The response so far has been a little surprising. As far as I recall, most anohana-related threads leading up to this review have trended more towards praise rather than criticism.

Carl wrote:
When the friends finally face their grief head on, without the interference of guilt or resentment or displacement, they aren't crushed; they're cleansed, freed to move on with their lives. At the very end grief for them is a heart-busting mixture of joy and sadness, liberation and letting go.

This was the problem for me, I think. The show that I wanted to watch started as the ending credits on the last episode were rolling.

But that's okay. The ghost of anohana doesn't haunt me like it used to; I've accepted my grief, let it flow through me like a river, and moved on.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, I wanna watch at least ONE of these "crying anime" to see if they're really they're cracked up to be. I'm either gonna pick anohana or Angel Beats (maybe Little Busters if that comes out by the time I make my decision).

...Actually, I just want to watch anohana to see if the ending is as ridiculous as DTM and Red Fox say it is.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
In all honesty, I wanna watch at least ONE of these "crying anime" to see if they're really they're cracked up to be. I'm either gonna pick anohana or Angel Beats (maybe Little Busters if that comes out by the time I make my decision).

I recommend Ano Hana, because frankly, Angel Beats! has some big plot issues. Also, and this is probably more relevant to you, but Angel Beats! doesn't have anywhere near the spoiler[cry-fest] ending that Ano Hana has.

Chagen46 wrote:
...Actually, I just want to watch anohana to see if the ending is as ridiculous as DTM and Red Fox say it is.

I didn't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes at the ending, so I did both simultaneously. Although it is a fascinating sensation, I don't recommend it.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
It's too bad this show won't be broadcasted in the US unlike Italy.
worth watching on the internet then *facepalm

How popular is anime ins Italy? Also how well did the show do?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
It's too bad this show won't be broadcasted in the US unlike Italy.
worth watching on the internet then *facepalm

Unless I misunderstood your post, the show is actually streaming in the U.S. and Canada on Crunchyroll. You can view it here.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:

The response so far has been a little surprising. As far as I recall, most anohana-related threads leading up to this review have trended more towards praise rather than criticism.

That was pretty much my point. I do agree with some of the criticisms though, the spoiler[crying scene] reminded my of a similar scene in Stellvia... And I laughed my ass at that one.
dtm42 wrote:
Deal with it.

You're the one that actually seems to be getting worked up over it, so take your own advice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6