• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prime Minister Asō: Anime, Manga Are Part of Japan's Recovery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Take it from Cali, Aso-san. Focusing only on entertainment jobs is a dead-end.
agr964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Oh yes, clearly that's only what California focuses on. That's why the entire entertainment and leisure industry had 182,000 jobs out of 32,100,000 people living in CA (~.6% of the population). Rolling Eyes

Never mind the fact that it produces almost 13.2% of the nation's agriculture value in dollars (About twice that of second place, Texas @ 6.8%). I work in the agriculture industry in California, and it gets very annoying when traveling to other states with people laughing and asking if there are really farms in California and if we see movie stars every day.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GQRTable?_bm=y&-ds_name=E9700A1&-searchtype=1&-geo_id=04000US06&-_lang=en
http://stuffaboutstates.com/agriculture/index.html
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If Aso plays his cards right, perhaps we can see near-instantaneous releases of Anime and Manga instead of waiting for months or YEARS for them to come out.
muppsatan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:
As he did when he was foreign minister, Asō has used anime as an example of cultural exchange in South Korea and Russia. However, Studio Ghibli co-founder and director Hayao Miyazaki has criticized Asō's public emphasis on his manga reading and downplayed the use of Japanese entertainment to promote the country and to raise its youth

That made me lol. Its like a misguided otaku has risen to power and started raving, "Hey its awsome we will use the power of love and anime and manga to SAVE OUR COUNTRY!", all shounen burning passion style.
And Miyazaki is all, "Woah, calm down there, fanboy"

Well i have no idea why anyone would listen to a weirdo like Miyazaki on Politics... the guy lives in a box in the 1940's
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
muppsatan wrote:
Well i have no idea why anyone would listen to a weirdo like Miyazaki on Politics... the guy lives in a box in the 1940's

To be honest, I do think he has a point on the use of entertainment and popular culture to promote a country. For argument's sake, if someone suggested using Neighbours to promote Australia internationally, I'd be protesting pretty strongly.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
I remember reading this off of my Life With Playstation via Playstation thanks to Google News. It's very nice of Aso to mention Manga can help Japan's economy. I hope he's right about that. I've been seeing more layoffs and people living in tent in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cpmoutwin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Arrow The arts in Japan have always inhabited a space far above mere entertainment. Anime, especially the best, is part of that phenomenon. Most Westerners would not understand that, because 1). art to them is a pass-time, and 2). entertainment is, especially in North America, a mere industry. For the Japanese, art is essential to both sense of self and of sociocultural context. For Westerns, art, today, however, is something that is produced, largely only for profit. This is not to say that the profit motive does not effect Japanese artists: much anime is produced merely to be tied to marketing... and it shows in the poor quality of the art work and the writing. However, unlike stuff produced by such studios as Disney, a great deal of animation in Japan is made because the artists feel it OUGHT to be made. Revolutionary stuff like Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei and Fooley Cooly has been made on a shoe string. So, of course studios are laying off personnel; they operate on a very narrow profit margin, never mind the competition between so many operations!
Likewise, it is not at all unreasonable that the PM should appeal to that socioeconomic segment of Japanese culture for an increase in activity, because not only does it mean prosperity due to the desirability of Japanese animation world-wide, but the sense of affirmation, both individually and corporately, that such success would mean for Japanese in general.

And, for that mechaheaded, big-eye ecchi-lovin', fantasy drugged-out baka out there who might want to flame me for pointing this out:

Go sit on a pointed 'droid, senpai.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If the PM is serious about expanding Japan's anime profits, he should make sure that creating new seasons of Full Metal Panic becomes a national priority.

Just not that one series only. It should be all series.Especially the ones that are popular there and in the US like naruto and bleach.

Also if he really was serious,then he could start taking fansubs and illegal streaming a lot more serious cause it's bleeding out money from the companies which could've been used for more projects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
muppsatan wrote:

To be honest, I do think he has a point on the use of entertainment and popular culture to promote a country. For argument's sake, if someone suggested using Neighbours to promote Australia internationally, I'd be protesting pretty strongly.

You mean...The Road Warrior isn't an accurate portrayal of Australia?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
muppsatan wrote:

Yeah it be like Hoosiers (link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091217/ ) promoting Indiana, sure I know where the high school is where they shot the basketball scenes but that doesn't show you Indiana life/culture. Or the Dresden Files for Chicago or Friends for New York.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
agr964 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Oh yes, clearly that's only what California focuses on. That's why the entire entertainment and leisure industry had 182,000 jobs out of 32,100,000 people living in CA (~.6% of the population). Rolling Eyes

Never mind the fact that it produces almost 13.2% of the nation's agriculture value in dollars (About twice that of second place, Texas @ 6.8%). I work in the agriculture industry in California, and it gets very annoying when traveling to other states with people laughing and asking if there are really farms in California and if we see movie stars every day.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GQRTable?_bm=y&-ds_name=E9700A1&-searchtype=1&-geo_id=04000US06&-_lang=en
But that's not the case for Japan. For you see according to BBC News, Japan suffers from food crisis due to high-population density in urban district, an ageing population with impending shortage on workforce in order to feed themselves, poor eating habits that place import food in high-demands while wasting away local food products, a ridiculously low economic development on agriculture sector due to over-development in urban industry during the last economic boom, and an unsustainable food choice on tuna which leads to illegal tuna catching. Japan can only produce 39% of the food it needs to feed its people, while the rest had to rely on import.

Now let's once again look at what Prime Minister Tarō Asō has in store:
Quote:
In a Thursday evening press conference, Japanese Prime Minister Tarō Asō promised to add 4 million jobs in his country by 2020, with 500,000 coming from the country's so-called "soft power" in anime, manga, and similar areas of culture.
None of them has any immediate effect on the current Japanese food crisis: the new jobs won't help the nation to generate more incomes in order to import more food, when the nation's real problem is an ageing population with impending shortage on workforce:
Quote:
in 1990 there were almost six people of working age for each retiree, but by 2025 that number will have fallen almost to two.
Entertainment industry based on urban culture won't help the Japanese to produce more food, when the nation's agriculture sector got pummeled due to over-development in urban industry during the last economic boom:
Quote:
In the years after World War II, about half of Japan's economic effort was agricultural. Today the sector has shrunk to just 1%.
Quote:
As Japan's economy grew in the second half of the last century, many farmers found they could make more by selling their land for use in industry or for housing.

Today, land is expensive everywhere.
None of his other stuffs makes much sense at this point either:
Quote:
He also vowed that the country's real gross domestic product will increase by 120 trillion yen (US$1.2 trillion) by 2020. According to Asō, the market for Japan's cultural exports could worth 20 to 30 trillion yen (US$200-300 billion) if business opportunities are exploited. Japan's cultural exports is one of the three pillars upon which Asō is relying for economic growth; the other two are a 'low-carbon revolution" and a "society of health and longevity."
An nationwide entertainment(low-carbon emitting industry) industrial revolution that exploits(exports) a 400 years old Japanese culture as a "society of health and longevity", but in reality Japanese society is suffering from an immediate food crisis due to its failed educational and social systems of elitism and group-mind mentality at the core of its culture? What Asō needs is a lesson in life, in business, and in entertainment industry. Before he single-handily responsible of starving his people as the Prime Minister of Japan.

People don't need entertainment in order to survive, they need food. In the life of business, advertising venues are disposable incomes. And today's entertainment industry is just one big advertising campaign that made itself into a business by promoting ideas. With that said, what the Japanese Prime Minister Tarō Asō really suggesting is to seriously investing the Japanese economic future on a nonessential entertainment industry, by wasting the nation's financial resources on an advertising campaign, that promotes the Japanese society that's starving, aging and weakening, due to failed Japanese educational and social systems of elitism and group-mind mentality at the core of the Japanese culture.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
agr:
Quote:
Oh yes, clearly that's only what California focuses on. That's why the entire entertainment and leisure industry had 182,000 jobs out of 32,100,000 people living in CA (~.6% of the population).

I'm actually talking about how our entire "industry" revolves around selling the state to the rest of the world. All it's led to are a bunch of freeloading losers who can't produce shit for the local economy, but who can pile up a ton of debts the ones who can produce anything have to pay for in their place. And if we cared that much about agriculture, we'd put up a fight against cloned food and salmonella-tainted spinach and pistachios. But as it is, all we're doing is dumping most of it on Third World countries, so they aren't allowed to "compete" the way China did with our garment industries.

Dom: Though at least Japan hasn't out-sourced its manufacturing like us yet.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dom: Though at least Japan hasn't out-sourced its manufacturing like us yet.
But the Japanese anime industry, the one that Prime Minister Tarō Asō had so much faith in, had been forced to accept low tenders while the outsourcing of animation had been around for so long, that Japanese animators are forced to form their own labor group in order for them to just survive.

And as for Japanese manufacturing exports, well with a gross national product(GNP) of 9.3 in 1994 it looks like Japan was less dependent on foreign trade than many other industrialized countries of the world since the 90's. Yet in certain industries like automobiles and anime, however, export dependence was high. Also, Japan seems to be outsourcing manufacturing jobs since 2005. And it was the Japanese manufacturers who worked out the outsourcing theory.
babbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
agr964 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

But that's not the case for Japan. For you see according to BBC News, Japan suffers from food crisis due to high-population density in urban district, an ageing population with impending shortage on workforce in order to feed themselves, poor eating habits that place import food in high-demands while wasting away local food products, a ridiculously low economic development on agriculture sector due to over-development in urban industry during the last economic boom, and an unsustainable food choice on tuna which leads to illegal tuna catching. Japan can only produce 39% of the food it needs to feed its people, while the rest had to rely on import.

Now let's once again look at what Prime Minister Tarō Asō has in store:
Quote:
In a Thursday evening press conference, Japanese Prime Minister Tarō Asō promised to add 4 million jobs in his country by 2020, with 500,000 coming from the country's so-called "soft power" in anime, manga, and similar areas of culture.
None of them has any immediate effect on the current Japanese food crisis: the new jobs won't help the nation to generate more incomes in order to import more food, when the nation's real problem is an ageing population with impending shortage on workforce:
Quote:
in 1990 there were almost six people of working age for each retiree, but by 2025 that number will have fallen almost to two.
Entertainment industry based on urban culture won't help the Japanese to produce more food, when the nation's agriculture sector got pummeled due to over-development in urban industry during the last economic boom:
Quote:
In the years after World War II, about half of Japan's economic effort was agricultural. Today the sector has shrunk to just 1%.
Quote:
As Japan's economy grew in the second half of the last century, many farmers found they could make more by selling their land for use in industry or for housing.

Today, land is expensive everywhere.
None of his other stuffs makes much sense at this point either:
Quote:
He also vowed that the country's real gross domestic product will increase by 120 trillion yen (US$1.2 trillion) by 2020. According to Asō, the market for Japan's cultural exports could worth 20 to 30 trillion yen (US$200-300 billion) if business opportunities are exploited. Japan's cultural exports is one of the three pillars upon which Asō is relying for economic growth; the other two are a 'low-carbon revolution" and a "society of health and longevity."
An nationwide entertainment(low-carbon emitting industry) industrial revolution that exploits(exports) a 400 years old Japanese culture as a "society of health and longevity", but in reality Japanese society is suffering from an immediate food crisis due to its failed educational and social systems of elitism and group-mind mentality at the core of its culture? What Asō needs is a lesson in life, in business, and in entertainment industry. Before he single-handily responsible of starving his people as the Prime Minister of Japan.

People don't need entertainment in order to survive, they need food. In the life of business, advertising venues are disposable incomes. And today's entertainment industry is just one big advertising campaign that made itself into a business by promoting ideas. With that said, what the Japanese Prime Minister Tarō Asō really suggesting is to seriously investing the Japanese economic future on a nonessential entertainment industry, by wasting the nation's financial resources on an advertising campaign, that promotes the Japanese society that's starving, aging and weakening, due to failed Japanese educational and social systems of elitism and group-mind mentality at the core of the Japanese culture.

Even if they did focus more on agriculture they still have a tiny amount of arable land ( 11.64% of their land or appx 43,000 sq km ,appx 1/3 of a square meter per person; compare this to the US having appx 5 sq meters per person) that is increasingly being sold off to developers. Gotta wonder if they really could support their own food supply. I'd guess they'd still be importing a significant amount of food >.>
agr964

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Even if they did focus more on agriculture they still have a tiny amount of arable land ( 11.64% of their land or appx 43,000 sq km ,appx 1/3 of a square meter per person; compare this to the US having appx 5 sq meters per person) that is increasingly being sold off to developers. Gotta wonder if they really could support their own food supply. I'd guess they'd still be importing a significant amount of food >.>

There are about 3 million rural farmers (mostly rice) in Japan. The government pays them to NOT farm significant parts of their land to keep commodity prices artificially high. The problem with this model is you have land available to produce food not being used for several years at a time. Also, the agriculture model in Japan of a farmer with a small plot of land is woefully inefficient for food production.

A good rice crop yield is about 8,000 lbs (4 US tons) of rice per US Acre (43,560 sq ft). So, if Japan has 43,000 sq km of arable land, that is 10,625,489 acres. So...theoretically, they could produce about 42.5 million tons of rice a year, IF they devoted all of their arable land to rice production. With a population of around 128 million, this gives 664 lbs of rice per person per year, or 1.82 lbs of rice (dry) per person per day. Uncooked medium grain Japonica rice has about 1500 Calories per pound. So, eating 1.82 pounds of rice a day would be 2730 Calories, more than enough for almost anyone.

So, theoretically, Japan *could* feed their entire population if everyone switched to a diet of only rice...but I don't think people would be very happy (or healthy) with that situation ><

GATSU wrote:
agr:
I'm actually talking about how our entire "industry" revolves around selling the state to the rest of the world. All it's led to are a bunch of freeloading losers who can't produce shit for the local economy, but who can pile up a ton of debts the ones who can produce anything have to pay for in their place. And if we cared that much about agriculture, we'd put up a fight against cloned food and salmonella-tainted spinach and pistachios. But as it is, all we're doing is dumping most of it on Third World countries, so they aren't allowed to "compete" the way China did with our garment industries.

Most if not all agriculture industries are putting up a fight against Salmonella. A major problem with pistachios and spinach is they are commonly sold as raw food products. Raw foods have the potential for microbial growth. Canned spinach (yuck) would be safe from this, since it is cooked prior to canning. And as long as roasted pistachios do not come into contact with raw pistachios, they are safe as well. The problem is, depending on the processor's internal practices, sometimes they can come into contact with one another, allowing for cross-contamination. That is the root of this problem, there are many small and/or poorly staffed processing plants that end up causing these issues for an entire industry.

Personally, I think of eating raw foods (uncooked vegetables, fruits, and nuts) as like eating raw meat. Sure, it's most likely fine, but your margin for error is much lower. If people would wash produce with a mild concentration of antibacterial soap and water prior to eating, they could be 100% sure they would not get sick.

Do you have any idea what California produces? More dairy products than any other state (Sorry Wisconsin) Almost 80% of the world's Almonds (1 billion pounds) and 95% the US's canned tomato products (24 billion pounds) This is all that Pizza sauce, salsa and ketchup you enjoy eating. We are not "Dumping most of it on Third World countries". This is for consumption here, or for export to other countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3