• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - I Think We're Alone Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Now this is the kind of stuff I like to listen to: back stories!

I'm very impressed Zac and Justin described how difficult it is to "turn off" film appreciation on most anything they view. This should help put a different perspective on their opinions if people remember this. It always bugged me when people often summarize a review with "Welp, there goes Zac hating on moe again." while ignoring the reasons for the opinion.

Though, I certainly don't envy them in this situation. I'd go absolutely mad if I couldn't turn off my brain while watching Baka & Test. Oh, and I concur with Justin: I don't believe Zac will laugh watching this show. A chuckle, maybe, but that's about it.

One of these days, I may return to owning a device which communicates with the rest of the world, if only to add Twitter questions on the fly. Since I missed my opportunity, perhaps someone can ask for me, the next time: Is anime today what really sells in Japan or is this just simply the example of having no options?

I ask because I often spend time translating Japanese blogs on fc2.com, and there's quite a bit of criticism in Japan over the sheer number of these types of titles on the market.

It's been enlightening to read many fans are finding the over-saturation a problem and are also wishing the studios would mix it up a bit. I remember one comment which stated if the only way to change the industry was to vote with their wallet, then someone's rigging the votes.

I thought the comment was awesome. I'll be sure to use it when the need arises.

Still, I do have to say I notice some small changes hidden in the swarm of "cute girls doing cute things", but I can also see if these chances aren't well received, then fear sets in and the studios will flash some panties and hope for the best.

I've been watching anime for a long time, and even I have to admit this phase of "moe" is lasting much longer than I thought it would.

Though, for me, this isn't a complaint. I don't think I can ever get sick of it, but I do tire of the lazy "here's a bath and beach scene and zero story" titles. If I wanted cute only, I'd buy the figures.

Great podcast, guys. Have a great weekend.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, I'm dreading the 00's show. I expect a lot of Code Geass, Eden of the East, Eureka 7 and ugh Redlines on at least everyone's top ten as far as THIS user base is concerned Rolling Eyes at least the 90's show wasn't so bad with the lack of DBZ and Sailor Moons being a surprise.

If I recall Bleach got canned not so much for low ratings but they had ran out of material to animate and instead of doing yet another two seasons worth of fillers than just decided to end it, interestingly the ending of the anime coincided with the mangaka announcing that the original source was entering it's final arc so that might of been a decision to but the anime on hold so he could make more material same way with Gintama a through years back when it "ended". Beelzebub was most definitely cancelled due to low ratings and I don't recall being all that popular on Crunchyroll or at least not popular enough for it to have any effect on viewership of the website when it got pulled.
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Just heard Zac's rant about "letter grades" or ratings for reviews. Funny that his views parallels mine after someone complained about the letter grade So, I Can't Play H! episodes 1-6 got. Maybe my view on the usefulness of ratings have been influenced by building reception sections over at Wikipedia. (Example)
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Is anime today what really sells in Japan or is this just simply the example of having no options?

Mmh, what do you mean? Animes in general (there are notable exceptions like Ghibli or some mainstream series) are watched by and sold to a rather small audience in Japan. Bigger than in western countries, but still quite a niche market. Very few anime series are "really" selling / commercial hits.
Live action shows and movies (foreign and local ones) are much more popular. And you got a lot of options there. I'm always surprised how many live action series Japan is producing every year (many of them are bleh, but others are real gems) + those they import from the US (and Korea) mainly ...
But you're probably aware of that ... so, are you talking about how anime is selling among those who are already fans and how they feel about recent series / how sales have been among that particular audience?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of another tv show made in the past 3 or 4 years that I liked better then T&B. It's definitely not one of my favorites of all time but I thought it was damn good. It just had a fundamentally different feel to it then every thing else I've been watching.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
People have such short attention spans these days, at least when it comes to anime. As an older fan, 26 episodes feels pretty short to me. Most of my favorite anime longer than that.

You're a weirdo for not liking bacon, Zac. Razz
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
so, are you talking about how anime is selling among those who are already fans and how they feel about recent series / how sales have been among that particular audience?

The statement was made about anime in that it's what the market wants, but I'm reading comments by the Japanese to the contrary.

Considering what's being produced, the statement seems more of the market has no choice, not of what it wants. Despite my appreciation of the current styles, I can't believe this is what the entire market wants.

It's like being bombarded with nothing but apples because no one's making oranges, bananas, and pineapples.

I find it skeptical much of today's anime wouldn't sell if the character designs went from being cutesy to more realistic.

This is just my opinion, but today's designs are so cut/paste/change hair color, there's really no detail in them. With no detail, the animation's easier to make.

I can't recall the last time I saw an anime character with freckles, scars, or even intricate tattoos.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm very impressed Zac and Justin described how difficult it is to "turn off" film appreciation on most anything they view. This should help put a different perspective on their opinions if people remember this. It always bugged me when people often summarize a review with "Welp, there goes Zac hating on moe again." while ignoring the reasons for the opinion.

That was probably the most interesting part, to me, because I'm glad to hear about other people who do that too, who have the over-analytical sensibility that causes them to end up with a rather eclectic list of favorites because the things that really massage their narrative zones are often different than what the general populace seems to gravitate toward.

Another really interesting point is how Justin brought up that he'll sort of do an "emotional check" against his own experiences when a show features circumstances that are relatable. I do that too, and the end result is that it makes me cry "bullshit" when a show tries to pass off something as "this is how that emotion/circumstance really feels" when I've experienced it myself and it's totally not like that. The flip-side is that when an anime (or any story, really) portrays something in a way that totally jives with your own personal experience, it becomes so much more meaningful, because of how genuinely rare it is to find that level of empathetic resonance between your own personal life and a work of fiction.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Thing about the aughts versus the 80s or 90s is that there's just so much more anime in total volume, not even counting what's been officially licensed or legally streamed over the years. Add to that a dynamic decade of shifting foci and demographics and 2000 looks absolutely nothing like 2009. I'd even say 2000 to 2002 are mostly empty in terms of TV anime, with only a few films being of any particular note. I said in response to one of the other ANNcasts when the 00s show was brought up for the future that a retrospective on what's truly important and lasting is much harder when things are so fresh. Maybe that's because I feel like anything I'd include would be loaded on the second half of the decade instead of the first, where everything only seems like it was a few seasons ago instead of being 25 years old like most of my favorite anime tend to be.

On episode count, I've been saying for a while that there should be a happy medium between 13 and 26, as neither amount seems to work perfectly in giving a story except in a few cases. They're either too short and scrunched for time or they have to pad a show out unnaturally. Even when you have epilogue OVAs, they don't often flow with the main show well, like in the case of Baccano. The main story must finish for the TV run.

I've seen enough less-than-stellar old anime animation/art-wise like UY and KOR that have long stretches of nothing moving and bad art. Today, even your average school life harem has a chance to look fantastic. Mashiroiro Symphony, which was great but not fantastic, had some stellar set pieces. We Without Wings and the current KoiChoco are much the same. Digital animation means one dude can crank out great background art on less demanding series. And when you do have the cheap stuff like Kill Me Baby or Acchi Kocchi, there's nothing wrong in the style they choose, they absolutely don't demand high quality work. I love old characters designs and the general 80s aesthetic, but anime today is overall far higher in quality across the board, mostly thanks to advancements in high definition production. To be fair, this is a comparison of TV series on TV series, just like films have to be compared to films and OVAs with OVAs.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
BTW, does anyone actually HAVE the R1 release of Evangelion that had this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8pvC3mxGo

I heard it was the Platinum edition, and my cousin has that, but we could not find that particular audio track.

Apparently it's a hidden audio track that can only be selected by using the audio button on your DVD remote(meaning you can't select it on the main menu). There's a 4th audio track for the last episode that is nothing until near the credits and that's when the rant starts playing. Which kinda makes sense, because the Platinum edition did have a audio track where Spike Spencer did commentary for some of the episodes.

I don't know if that's true, because I have the original ADV release for those episodes. But that's what I was able to find out.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
With the oughts show in October you have run out of decades. In listening to the 90s show I noticed that some of the more interesting discussion was on what shows didn't make the cut or where the participants disagreed. So I have a modest proposal for future shows.

Pick a year, not in any order. Get a regular participant and together pick a half a dozen shows. Not on the basis of best, but rather on the basis of interesting to talk about. Avoid shows already talked to death. Then discuss just as you did with the decade shows. You might even let the twitter types nominate one show for discussion.

Something like this would not be as hard to set up and would be just as interesting. Sometimes a show that tried and failed or succeded in spite of its self gives more to talk about than one everyone agrees is best.
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
BTW, does anyone actually HAVE the R1 release of Evangelion that had this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8pvC3mxGo

I heard it was the Platinum edition, and my cousin has that, but we could not find that particular audio track.

Apparently it's a hidden audio track that can only be selected by using the audio button on your DVD remote(meaning you can't select it on the main menu). There's a 4th audio track for the last episode that is nothing until near the credits and that's when the rant starts playing. Which kinda makes sense, because the Platinum edition did have a audio track where Spike Spencer did commentary for some of the episodes.

I don't know if that's true, because I have the original ADV release for those episodes. But that's what I was able to find out.

Ok, I did check it out since I have the Platinum edition and it's there.

And now for something completely different, Tiffany. Ah yes, Zac remembers the mall rat culture. Very Happy
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
Oh boy, I'm dreading the 00's show. I expect a lot of Code Geass, Eden of the East, Eureka 7 and ugh Redlines on at least everyone's top ten as far as THIS user base is concerned Rolling Eyes at least the 90's show wasn't so bad with the lack of DBZ and Sailor Moons being a surprise.

If I recall Bleach got canned not so much for low ratings but they had ran out of material to animate and instead of doing yet another two seasons worth of fillers than just decided to end it, interestingly the ending of the anime coincided with the mangaka announcing that the original source was entering it's final arc so that might of been a decision to but the anime on hold so he could make more material same way with Gintama a through years back when it "ended". Beelzebub was most definitely cancelled due to low ratings and I don't recall being all that popular on Crunchyroll or at least not popular enough for it to have any effect on viewership of the website when it got pulled.

hmm maybe, maybe not but some of my favorite shows from last decade are rozen maiden, familiar of zero 1-2, shana, hayate the combat butler, higurashi/kai/rei, azumanga daioh, ichigo marhsimo, pani poni dash, hare and guu, toradora, ralidex, gad guard, last-exile, clannad/as, kanon 2006, 2x2=shinbouden and shi* load of movies/ovas... but this just me lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering about a change in programming. I figured that you might be running short of interview subjects. Perhaps Zac will broaden the 'panel' beyond he, Justin and the Supernerds (Daryl and Mike are great, but if this becomes regular, more diversity would be beneficial) More guest-hosts than guests.

Zac hasn't seen Kino's Journey? I'm glad that he will. It's such a great show. (I frickin' loved it)

I hate letter grades. I hate them so badly, but I guess people want them, so I guess that I hate people.

Hurray! Self discovery!

classicalzawa wrote:
How can we submit top 3 for 00s if we don't use Twitter?

You could try sending it to Zac by e-mail ([email protected]). He did make a thread in the community forum for top three lists for the 80s show, but didn't for the 90s show.

BarCho66 wrote:

Well, I don't think that either Zac or Justin are particularly fond of Code Geass and I wouldn't expect any of their likely guests to be either.

You seem to have an inordinate problem dealing with people publicly proclaiming preferences that don't agree with yours, such that you can't accept them, but obsessively try to diminish or delegitimize them. Perhaps you shouldn't even listen to it.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
People have such short attention spans these days, at least when it comes to anime. As an older fan, 26 episodes feels pretty short to me. Most of my favorite anime longer than that.

I was out of anime fandom and watched only what was on television from 2005 to 2011, so I'm a relic who still thinks of twenty six episodes as normal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize my question was rude, it took me a good half hour of editing to make it seem polite.

I understand Zac's issue with Tiger and Bunny because the show is interesting, but is lacking a strong antagonist or arc to make the viewer interested in seeing what happens next. It isn't until near the end of the first half and the 3/4 of the show where things get really interesting with the introduction of strong continuous arcs that are a bit unpredictable.

Baka And Test Dubbed in english might be amusing for Zac because they did make edits to the Japanese script and if Justin only saw the Japanese version their is a chance the english version is more enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6