• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Skip Beat! GN 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Ug, sorry about the double post; was having trouble getting through.

Pinkwings wrote:
I'm just waiting for it to finish before I bother reading it. One thing will make or break this for me. Sho/Shou/shit/w/e. Yes yes yes. He isnt so bad anymore. Whatever. If she ends up with him then I'm not gonna bother no matter how good. The ultimate revenge would be her ending up with Ren and turning Sho down. For once please pick the nicer guy and turn down the arrogant, concieted, and selfish brat please. Is that so hard to ask?

You know...I honestly think she'll either end up with Ren, or with no one at all. It may end relatively unresolved, with the impression that she'll eventually choose one over the other (Ren), after she grows up and matures more.

Last edited by KrisEllieOphi on Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
Seriously- wow. An actual strong female heroine- one who actually cares when she's been stabbed in the back and actually has pride. She's got the right balance of enthusiasm, determination, will power, and humanity so that she doesn't come off as annoying even at her most hyper, and she's got a level of darkness that makes her both incredibly intriguing and multifaceted.

Amen to that.

manafairy nicely pointed out what distinguish Skip Beat from most of shoujo manga. The main heroine is not a doormat that allows a brat like Shou to humiliate her and is too smart not to realise that her prince is an asshole that is not worth of her love.
Moreover, Kyoko is sweet but NOT insipid. She makes friends from her enemies but not because she preaches sermons on how beautiful world, friendship etc is.

The main heroine which is often the weakest point of shoujo manga is the strongest point of Skip Beat. I don't know how anyone may not root for Kyoko and her demons Twisted Evil

manafairy wrote:
I've only read the first three volumes so far, so it'll be a while before I catch up with the domestic release, but I'm surprisingly excited to get there.

You should be Smile Skip Beat becomes really good around the Dark Moon arc and continues to improve from that point.

Pinkwings wrote:
I'm just waiting for it to finish before I bother reading it. One thing will make or break this for me. Sho/Shou/shit/w/e. Yes yes yes. He isnt so bad anymore. Whatever. If she ends up with him then I'm not gonna bother no matter how good. The ultimate revenge would be her ending up with Ren and turning Sho down. For once please pick the nicer guy and turn down the arrogant, concieted, and selfish brat please. Is that so hard to ask?

I have read all of the chapters (139) and I'm 99,9% sure that Kyoko is going to end up with Ren.
Truered

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm a guy and I'd never really read/watched any shoujo stuff before. One day I decided to watch the first episode of the anime and got hooked. Then I wanted more and currently have the first eight volumes of the manga. Despite possessing a y chromosome I like seeing a female lead that doesn't take any crap Laughing

And I like that it has a mixture of humour and drama...as well as demons Very Happy
musouka

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
You know, I don't like shoujo. Like at all. Japan makes some of the most irritating female leads I've ever encountered in an entertainment medium, and their romances so very, very rarely have any sort of chemistry or believability.

I really don't know what to say to this except that perhaps maybe one day you'll grow out of this ridiculous tunnel vision and realize that shoujo is just a demographic. It doesn't mean there is always a female lead. It doesn't mean the focus is always romance. It just means the series is aimed at women, and it has just as many hits and misses as any other demographic.
manafairy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
manafairy wrote:
You know, I don't like shoujo. Like at all. Japan makes some of the most irritating female leads I've ever encountered in an entertainment medium, and their romances so very, very rarely have any sort of chemistry or believability.

I really don't know what to say to this except that perhaps maybe one day you'll grow out of this ridiculous tunnel vision and realize that shoujo is just a demographic. It doesn't mean there is always a female lead. It doesn't mean the focus is always romance. It just means the series is aimed at women, and it has just as many hits and misses as any other demographic.

While I know full well that there are many genres within shoujo, just as there are many different genres within shounen or yaoi, the fact of the matter is, when they decide on a target audience for a story, it's generally because of the themes and styles. And those general themes and styles that tend to be more prevalent in a majority of shoujo titles, I personally really don't like. There are far more misses than hits within the titles targeted at this demographic for me. so I'm far less likely to give a shoujo title a chance. Just like if there was a certain actor who seems to only pick terrible roles in movies you hate, or a director or writer who you have seen too much garbage from prior, you may be slightly less inclined to watch a movie that they're headlining. It's not saying that everything is necessarily the same, but the general feel or style really doesn't suit your taste, so you don't often want to waste your time hoping this one will be different.

I'm well aware of the fact that not all shoujo stories are tales of a whiney chick's tumultuous love life, but all too often, when there is a female lead, that is the kind of story they get stuck in. Kyoko is a refreshing exception in what would otherwise be a typical and uninteresting story, and I like Skip Beat because of that. The reason I was specifically referring to irritating women's love stories, was because Skip Beat could have very easily been just that given the premise, but it actually managed to take a tired and annoying cliche and, through great characterization, turn it into something I find worthwhile.

So to rephrase my originally statement: Generally speaking, stories decidedly aimed at a female audience do not appeal to me at all. The general style of shoujo stories tends to focus too much on romance- a genre that I don't often enjoy in any manifestation- and the lead characters are all too often whiney and annoying even when they aren't living for the opposite sex. Typically, stories that are classified as shoujo don't do anything for me regardless of their focus, and unbelievable romances and weak female leads happen to be a common staple and my biggest grievance in these kinds of stories, which Skip Beat, if written by anyone else, could have very easily been.

Feel better?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2