• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Fist of the North Star Side Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen Clannad seasons 1 or 2 but agree that ADV should try getting back into dubbing more often. Funny how we are in agreement that it would be nice to see them do dub/sub released DVDs.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious Clannad would have sold if it was released in dub. It would have made a wise investment. I know I would've bought it if it was dubbed.

On topic: I was not even aware this existed. I'm a big FotNS fan, and I never found fansubs so I never bought it. If this is sold in set, then I will buy it, but singles, hell no. I rather save up for the Captain Tylor OVAs.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am pissed off right now. I've been waiting patiently for someone to license this. And they did, but with no dub. I wanted Robert Kraft to reprise his role as Kenshiro from NFotNS. *Sigh*
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
It was obvious Clannad would have sold if it was released in dub. It would have made a wise investment. I know I would've bought it if it was dubbed.

On topic: I was not even aware this existed. I'm a big FotNS fan, and I never found fansubs so I never bought it. If this is sold in set, then I will buy it, but singles, hell no. I rather save up for the Captain Tylor OVAs.

Based on what retailers and what Matt Greenfield have said in public, Clannad sold well without a dub. I have seen no information to suggest that dubbing it would have sold a lot more, despite fellow dub fans constantly clamoring for one. So no, I don't think it's obvious. Wink It's wishful thinking in my opinion and reliance on information from the past where studios used to claim dubs help sell more. Surely they do, but how much is a debatable point and is specific and different from title to title. As a dub fan, sure I'd like to see a dub, but no I would not like to see one if it means spending too much on English production costs on a title that may be limited in scope of accessibility. Clannad is their biggest new title though so maybe Sentai Filmworks or ADV might take the risk and dub it. However, I think ADV knows better than you, me or anyone how well Clannad would have sold, and how viable the dub would be or not... given they have the sales numbers of Air, Kanon, other similar titles. Regardless, Anime News Network reported from ACen 09 convention coverage that ADV has not closed the book on dubbing it.

As far as Legends of the Dark Kings: A Fist of the North Star, per the story and RightStuf listing of the title... it is sold as a complete set.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm aware it sold, but to be fair, ADV isn't the best at knowing what sells. In example, Ushio and Tora. Great series, glad they licensed it. Was it a good decision over other series that would have made them money? I don't believe so. I just don't see people buying it.

I really thought ADV was going to take a mainstream route and licensed Soul Eater. I was wrong.

I'm just not the biggest fan of ADV is all. I believe that a dub would encourage more people to buy the DVD's.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I'm aware it sold, but to be fair, ADV isn't the best at knowing what sells. In example, Ushio and Tora. Great series, glad they licensed it. Was it a good decision over other series that would have made them money? I don't believe so. I just don't see people buying it.

I really thought ADV was going to take a mainstream route and licensed Soul Eater. I was wrong.

I'm just not the biggest fan of ADV is all. I believe that a dub would encourage more people to buy the DVD's.

I'm sure ADV would have loved to license Soul Eater. I'm also sure they would have loved to get the Eva movies. But given their state last year, it wouldn't have been feasible for them to grab those shows.

Would they have sold better than Clannad, probably. But it's not just a matter of sales, but overall profitability. And right now, ADV needs titles that are profitably, hence the lack of dubs. For some series, the added boost to sales just isn't enough to justify the added cost of a dub. I think if anyone knows this, it should be ADV. Several of those Sojitz titles sold okay, but didn't make a profit because of the production costs. Had some of those shows been sub only, the whole mess last year, may not have happened.

As for Ushio and Toro, I don't see what a title ADV licensed a decade ago has to do with the current situation.

And trust me, as someone who stocks, orders, and sells DVD's, a lower price tag will move more units, especially in a store, than a dub will. Remember the Best Buy 50% off sale?
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
In example, Ushio and Tora. Great series, glad they licensed it. Was it a good decision over other series that would have made them money?

That's a little different. You're talking about expectations pre-sales vs related titles that ADV has the numbers on (ie. Air, Kanon). Or are you talking about them re-releasing U & T?

If the former, well that was ages ago, completely different market back then and completely different strategies in place. Anime sales aren't an exact science though, there's no formula that says this and that title + this and that marketing strategy = instant profit and sales. There are a lot of factors at play, and even luck. There are very little, if any guarantees. Easier on huge big name titles, I'd imagine. Wink

In the past, ADV also licensed and took more chances back then on titles they personally enjoyed as well as a lot of titles to help build their catalog for cable distribution. John Ledford said last year they like to bring over shows that people don't necessarily know about but ones that the fans may hopefully enjoy. Some paid off, some didn't. But I for one appreciate that greatly, a lot of their titles that didn't do all that well are critically acclaimed and some of my favorites... like Princess Nine, Kaleido Star, and Princess Tutu.

In terms of a mainstream title, sure a dub would help and I too would like to see ADV be able to get back into those types of licenses or distributions, but with the market in flux and what happened last year... it's not easy, and it's certainly a lot more costly for very high profile titles or to get into bidding wars over sought after titles.

Couldn't agree more with a lot of the stuff cody said above as well though.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

They know what sells because they have sales numbers. Clannad would have been just like the other shows. Those who would have bought would have said "I will wait on the complete collection" causing sales to tank for the singles. ADV would have lost cash to please the otaku fans. I rather ADV to make the smart decision in not wasting time in dubbing a title that wouldn't sell that high or isn't cable bound.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
ADVNation:
Quote:
Based on what retailers and what Matt Greenfield have said in public, Clannad sold well without a dub.

I've been saying sub-only stuff sells fine on its own for years, if it were reasonably priced against a dub-only title. Hell, you have to have the wrong Japanese cast for the show to get me to switch to a dub. [*cough* Kinnikuman II *cough*] Plus, most fans just want to see a particular anime without any hassles. The problem with the old way of selling the product was that, many times, the companies did a horrible job of making their titles stand out from one another. So I don't think its just the price that makes those boxsets sell, but their larger sizes, as well, since you can tell 'em apart better now.

cody: I doubt Soul Eater would have sold better than Clannad, since its still "new" here. And Eva 1.0's probably going to cost FUNi more than it gets back on its profit margins. Clannad's closer to what's popular with American fandom than anything else going right now, which is why it "saved" ADV.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Well, this is certainly not my cup of tea, but perhaps it will help ADV financially, which, in turn, may help in the hopes of a Clannad dub. So I welcome this news.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Also, FotNS is one of those titles that there is sales data more recently on. That title is sold online in loads of places. So ADV would know how well a dub would perform.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Well, I am pissed off right now. I've been waiting patiently for someone to license this. And they did, but with no dub. I wanted Robert Kraft to reprise his role as Kenshiro from NFotNS. *Sigh*

Kenshiro isn't in this series anyways.
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Eh, I would love to have seen a dub of it but I am guessing in the immediate future this is all I will get.

Given the fansubs left me in a lurch (can't stand to watch RAWs) I can't see any choice.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ADVNation:
Quote:
Based on what retailers and what Matt Greenfield have said in public, Clannad sold well without a dub.

I've been saying sub-only stuff sells fine on its own for years, if it were reasonably priced against a dub-only title. Hell, you have to have the wrong Japanese cast for the show to get me to switch to a dub. [*cough* Kinnikuman II *cough*] Plus, most fans just want to see a particular anime without any hassles. The problem with the old way of selling the product was that, many times, the companies did a horrible job of making their titles stand out from one another. So I don't think its just the price that makes those boxsets sell, but their larger sizes, as well, since you can tell 'em apart better now.

cody: I doubt Soul Eater would have sold better than Clannad, since its still "new" here. And Eva 1.0's probably going to cost FUNi more than it gets back on its profit margins. Clannad's closer to what's popular with American fandom than anything else going right now, which is why it "saved" ADV.

I was simply referring to the fact that Soul Eater is considered more "mainstream" that Clannad. In the more "hardcore" community, Clannad may be more popular, but that doesn't always translate into sales.

Like Dragoon has said, it can be very hard to predict what will sell, and what won't. Funimation was surprised when Shuffle turned into one of their top selling series last year, and ADV said that Kanon did much better than they expected. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Clannad would do as well. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have Red Garden, a Gonzo show, that had everything you really need to make a hit, yet it did pretty poorly. In fact, in the UK it only sold a few dozen copies of it's first volume.

As for the Eva movie, I may agree with you there. No doubt it was an expensive acquisition, as were the older movies. Those never did terribly well for Manga, and are out of print right now, so it's hard to say how well the new movies will do. I'm sure they will sell, but only Funimation will know how they do profit wise. I think that's why they have only licensed one of the movies so far. They may be taking a wait and see approach. Or perhaps the Japanese rights holders are hoping for even more money for the second movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2