• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Road to Ninja Is Highest Grossing Naruto Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
naruto and sasuke and do some man on man action. that is it.

We get enough doujins about that.

Series movies are always just fun side adventures. Not sure what you're expecting. They're not going to develop the main story in a movie randomly.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'm still hoping they make a Naruto movie based on the whole Nine Tails attack with Kushina and Minato.

That remade with a movie budget, would be seriously awesome.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I doubt the studio and Shueisha are really satisfied with those results. Remember that they had a DVD bundled for the 'first 1.5 million moviegoers' and in the end not even 1.5 million people came to see the movie. They were probably expecting a much more significant increase with the author's involvement.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
naruto movies are so damn terrible they make me want to throw-up
I don't understand how people can waste their money on terrible anime movies that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the series other than re-using the main characters.

Sounds like any anime film based on a shonen manga. (although I heard very good comments about the movie Naruto: Blood Prison)
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I'm still hoping they make a Naruto movie based on the whole Nine Tails attack with Kushina and Minato.

That remade with a movie budget, would be seriously awesome.

Sunrise already did that with Gundam TV series and they aren't very popular. However, the Gundam SEED Destiny Final Plus OVA was really needed to close the TV series' ending.

Last edited by sainta on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this yet, but since Kishimoto is personally involved in this movie there's no doubt it's an awesome movie.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
After Strong World, and this film's success it pretty much cements the manga auothor involved with film production thing. Dragon Ball Z, and Gintama next year are also doing it too.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
I haven't seen this yet, but since Kishimoto is personally involved in this movie there's no doubt it's an awesome movie.

Unless you're in Japan, none of us have seen it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
They're not going to develop the main story in a movie randomly.

They could always do it with meaningful intent. Main problem would be this method doesn't work well with shows that never go off the air, thus giving the fanbase time to watch the movie and keep up.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Well if you're gonna take a premise from elsewhere, taking one from Alan Moore is a pretty good start.

I don't see what Alan Moore has to do with Naruto.

The plot line of the movie borrows VERY heavily from "For the man who has everything" a classic Superman story written by Moore and later turned into a Justice League episode.

Not surprisingly, when you consider that latest chapters have both a Star Wars and Matrix vibe. Cool

Like Oda totally doesn't do the same thing Cool

Not so much, I read somewhere that One Piece is more based one novels as Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and I could find some references to classics as Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, both from Mark Twain.
Unfortunately, even if I love reading, those are among the many novels I still have to read, so I can't be much more helpful. Sad

Anyway, while the Naruto plot, even with all its twists, is relatively simple, One Piece one is much more complex, so any references you could find in it is less prominent and better mixed in its own story and setting. Furthermore, lately Naruto had less heart, and external references stands out more than in normal cases, in my opinion. Originally, Naruto was a story mostly rooted into Japanese (but not only) mythology, so external, even sci-fi moves-derivative influences clash a bit with its original spirit, I think. They are great for fandom artworks, though! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Anyway, while the Naruto plot, even with all its twists, is relatively simple, One Piece one is much more complex, so any references you could find in it is less prominent and better mixed in its own story and setting. Furthermore, lately Naruto had less heart, and external references stands out more than in normal cases, in my opinion. Originally, Naruto was a story mostly rooted into Japanese (but not only) mythology, so external, even sci-fi moves-derivative influences clash a bit with its original spirit, I think. They are great for fandom artworks, though! Wink

Actually Naruto always showed references to Western culture making it a mix with Japanese culture. For example, the main character looked more like an American person than a Japanese person while several outfits were based on designs the author saw in movies such as The Matrix (a film famous for using clone fights by the way). Sasuke's quest for power reminds me to the Star Wars' Dark Side but in a more psychological way (the dark side refers to the emotions and not powers) and he had several arcs involving such themes (ever since the beginning).

I have never seen Naruto losing its "heart" as even after 10 years of serialization, Naruto has been growing into a more caring person and the villains have always been given their own backgrounds. Naruto and Pain go through a similar Star Wars based relationship regarding light and dark and their confrontation became one of the most popular parts from the series.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Anyway, while the Naruto plot, even with all its twists, is relatively simple, One Piece one is much more complex, so any references you could find in it is less prominent and better mixed in its own story and setting.

Not sure that this is correct. One Piece is very straightforward adventure of an adolescent boy pursuing his dream to become Pirate King, to get "One Piece", and making up friendships along the way.

And while on the surface Naruto aims to the similar thing, trying to become "Hokage", a ninja village leader, the actual story revolves more about his own evolution and about paths he takes while dealing with incredibly multi-layered, double, triple-decked story that unfolds around him.

I sometimes compare Naruto to "War and Piece" because of its complexity. And this is not necessary complementary comparison, because this complexity makes the storytelling heavier. It is stuffed with various conflicting philosophies from both "heroes" and "antiheroes" which manifest from tactical to strategical levels. Most of those philosophies and developments actually make quite dark picture. And while shonen genre tells that, of course, the "goodness" will prevail, your faith is thin: Kishimoto's portrayal of humanity's lows was too convincing, and you almost doubt that you really want Naruto to succeed -- not the "evil" counter-part.

Naruto as manga thus becomes totally different beast that is harder grasp, harder to follow -- comparing to ever entertaining, classical adventure that One Piece is.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
evamestric

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Road to ninja is gonna to be the best ever, i've seen the trailer twice
and read the plot three times. I WANNA SEE IT SO BADLY.
It definitly deserved it. Very Happy
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Actually Naruto always showed references to Western culture making it a mix with Japanese culture. For example, the main character looked more like an American person than a Japanese person while several outfits were based on designs the author saw in movies such as The Matrix (a film famous for using clone fights by the way). Sasuke's quest for power reminds me to the Star Wars' Dark Side but in a more psychological way (the dark side refers to the emotions and not powers) and he had several arcs involving such themes (ever since the beginning).

I have never seen Naruto losing its "heart" as even after 10 years of serialization, Naruto has been growing into a more caring person and the villains have always been given their own backgrounds. Naruto and Pain go through a similar Star Wars based relationship regarding light and dark and their confrontation became one of the most popular parts from the series.

Actually, Naruto's jumpsuit is based on the ones Kishimoto himself used to wear as a kid (he explained it somewhere, probably an interview). Anyway, there are some western influences in Naruto, too; it's normal, but they are less than the eastern ones, taken from Japanese and other mythologies, mostly.
About my "loosing its heart" comment, I was talking more about a changing in the author's approach than the main character's personality, sorry if it wasn't clear.

MaxSouth wrote:
Not sure that this is correct. One Piece is very straightforward adventure of a adolescent boy pursuing his dream to become Pirate King, to get "One Piece", and making up friendships along the way.

And while on the surface Naruto aims to the similar thing, trying to become "Hokage", a ninja village leader, the actual story revolves more about his own evolution and about paths he takes while dealing with incredibly multi-layered, double, triple-decked story that unfolds around him.

I sometimes compare Naruto to "War and Piece" because of its complexity. And this is not necessary complementary comparison, because this complexity makes the storytelling heavier. It is stuffed with various conflicting philosophies from both "heroes" and "antiheroes" which manifest from tactical to strategical levels. Most of those philosophies and developments actually make quite dark picture. And while shonen genre tells that, of course, the "goodness" will prevail, your faith is thin: Kishimoto's portrayal of humanity's lows was too convincing, and you almost doubt that you really want Naruto to succeed -- not the "evil" counter-part.

Naruto as manga thus becomes totally different beast that is harder grasp, harder to follow -- comparing to ever entertaining, classical adventure that One Piece is.

Did you read the whole One Piece (up to USA published volumes; I read up to the 64th one)?
To call it just a straightforward adventure is really reductive for a manga like it: a manga that never forgets about its secondary characters; that has so many sub-plots going on that its author even uses the chapters' covers to narrate them; a manga that, under its main plot (which isn't so simple as you make it sound anyway) has an extremely rich substrate of many things going on, more than Naruto for sure (you can say from the simple fact that One Piece has richer panels, with more dialogues and action happening on the foreground and, often, in the background too).
Finally, even if at the beginning it could seem the other way around, themes are usually dealt in a more mature way in One Piece than in Naruto. I'm not happy writing this since, before becoming an OP fan, I was a huge Naruto fan... I still like it, but in my opinion it isn't the manga it used to be anymore. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2