• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn to Be 6 50-Minute OVAs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Not a huge Universal Century fan, I prefer 00 and Seed Stargazer but I'll give it a shot. The Destroy mode looks awesome.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:

Yeah, 0083 was what I was thinking of... Definitely some of the most well animated mecha and characters in the franchise. The best part about it is the amount of details they put into the animation. Burnmarks and damage actually showing up on the mobile suits, characters' faces contorting and wrinkling with rage, light from beam sabers reflecting on metallic surfaces, and so on.

Of course, the other OVAs aren't much worse either... 0080, 08th MS team and Endless Waltz all match up pretty well.Though they did drop the ball badly with Stargazer (especialy the third
episode)

I agree. I'm one of the few fans of both UC and CE Gundam so I was pretty excited when I found out there was going to be a CE side story.But man, Stargazer was disappointing. The animation was good at best and the story felt more like a blue print then a full fledged work.

I always loved how heavy they portrayed the mecha in 08th MS team. It was like you could feel there weight when they moved. It really gave a sense of how massive the mechs really were.

I hope Unicorn fallows suit with the other UC OVAs and turns out well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Simultaneous worldwide release? Awesome. Er, for those people deemed to be living in the "world" by Sunrise.

Looking forward to this more and more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
DrWii said:
Quote:
I'm not much of a "Gundam" fan, but 6 50-minute OVAs? That sounds awesome!

The same goes for me because I have seen only the following (other than clips or watching briefly Gundam Wing episode 36): F91, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Seed Special, and all of the aired dubbed Gundam 00 episodes so far. However, when and if this is released on DVD, I will buy it.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The equivalent of 13 episodes, all done in the OVA quality that we've come to expect? I need to change my pants.

Anyone want to wager a guess at whether or not the novels will get translated? Even if it were a small run, I'd still be thrilled. I've given up hope of ever getting to read Beltorchika's Children or Zeta, but I'd gladly shell out the money necessary to make a translation worth it to Bandai.

Even if 0081 turns out to be awful, and the game version turns out to be just another junky in-house Gundam game, it is nice to know that there is an awesome Gundam Unicorn OVA right around the corner.

(I'm now starting my Blu-Ray rain dance in hopes of making Bandai put Unicorn out on Blu-Ray in the US.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
If they do put the BluRay out here, I can't imagine it will be at the same time as the Japanese release. If it was, you can expect Japanese prices. And then they'll wonder why it didn't sell.
Wellness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'll be fine if they can at least get 4-5 of the OVAs out before 2011 roles around. Its bad enough I have to wait until 2010, the series should not pull a lame move like only 2 releases a year or leave me wanting past the summer of 2011.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If they do put the BluRay out here, I can't imagine it will be at the same time as the Japanese release. If it was, you can expect Japanese prices. And then they'll wonder why it didn't sell.

Come to think of it, will the same apply to DVD releases as well? I understand the components of Namco Bandai Group allegedly coordinate their operations with each other, but quite a lot of cooperation would be needed in order to release paid-for content globally, without disrespecting the standard prices associated to each region.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
DrWii said:
Quote:
I'm not much of a "Gundam" fan, but 6 50-minute OVAs? That sounds awesome!

The same goes for me because I have seen only the following (other than clips or watching briefly Gundam Wing episode 36): F91, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Seed Special, and all of the aired dubbed Gundam 00 episodes so far. However, when and if this is released on DVD, I will buy it.

that's going to be quite a long while cause i'm preety sure after it's japan run,it'll definately be shown in the US due to the success of 00 which is showing on Sci-fi's Ani-Monday block.

The question is will Ani-Monday or AS show this OVA??? since AS did show 8th MS Team,0080:War in the Pocket, 0083:Stardust Memory & it;s Movie Char's Counterattack, it might be possible they'll get this OAV as well.

However the one thing that I am certain of and wont susprise anyone here is that Bandai Ent will eventually license it and The Ocean Group will produce the dub since that co and it's Voice actors has done every single gundam series (TV & OAV that have been brought to the US) since Gundam Wing and the original mobile suit gundam series when it showed on CN in the late 90's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2