• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hunter × Hunter Episodes 27-52 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I've developed a bit of a love-hate relationship with this show. It's definitely a good show, not even close to being bad--but it seems as though it could be much better.

I didn't much care for the Heaven's Arena arc (though Gon and Kllua humiliating those bullies was awesome, and the animators definitely gave it their all in Gon's fight with Hisoka). It took me a bit to warm up to this new arc too, but I really liked the episode at the Phantom Troupe's hideout.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to say Carl I respect alot of the reviews here but this is the one time where your disdain for tournaments has annoyed me.

Yes they're in a giant tournament tower but it was hardly about beating up "super powerful dangerous foe" of the week as it was about nen and Gon finally getting a chance to gain some sort of strength for himself.

As far as those complaining about nen are concerned... I honestly don't get it. They acctually had a pre opening during that arc going over the basic nen ablilities, and besides isn't detailed stuff like this the FUN of these shows to begin with? digging into all the little details to create a much more beautiful big picture,I thought that was the point of...oh I dunno....EVERY SHOW THAT HAS A PLOT?!
Granted its not like I think HxH is perfect with this G.I. spoiler[had those goddamn cards so I basicly cared little for the 'we're in a game' feeling and more about Gon and Killua's training.] but I hardly find heavens arena's nen details hard to swallow nor do I think its a arc anyone needs to 'tread'.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
rheiders wrote:
I appreciate the Nen system precisely because it's needlessly complex. There are reasons behind everyone's specific abilities, the reasons they choose them, what conditions they place upon themselves, the training they have to endure to achieve it, and when they level up DBZ-style, there's a rhyme and reason to it. I enjoy learning about the system because it's well-thought-out and I find it interesting. I also like how Togashi is able to make abilities that seem lame at first (like Hisoka's Bungee Gum thing or Gon's rock-paper-scissors attack) completely awesome.

I will agree with Wyvern that the card game explanations in the Greed Island arc were a bit indulgent at times, but I enjoyed that arc as well^^ (That dodgeball game is one of my favorite things in the entire series! xD)

Here's the secret to HxH:

It's basically an R.P.G

If there's anyone who actually keeps track
of "power levels" it would be Togashi.

I'm sure he does, but then, I wouldn't have noticed (outside of Greed Island, anyway), since I'm not a gamer at all. Razz
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I'm sorry his abilities are not as simple as saying gomu gomu
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Viz or someone else will release the DVDs in the west? Living in Japan is awesome, but it also vetoes me out of all legal streaming sites that I'm aware of. *sniff* Crying or Very sad

sainta wrote:

Also Kurapica's character spoiler[is never developed in this arc. By the end, Kurapica keeps thinking on how many Troupe member are alive and does not think how dangerous were the previous fights for him and his friends.]

I'd have to disagree. spoiler[Kurapica refuses to sacrifice Gon and Killua for his revenge. They have, in essence, become his new tribe, bound stronger than mere relatives would be by default.]
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
mrsticky005 wrote:
rheiders wrote:
I appreciate the Nen system precisely because it's needlessly complex. There are reasons behind everyone's specific abilities, the reasons they choose them, what conditions they place upon themselves, the training they have to endure to achieve it, and when they level up DBZ-style, there's a rhyme and reason to it. I enjoy learning about the system because it's well-thought-out and I find it interesting. I also like how Togashi is able to make abilities that seem lame at first (like Hisoka's Bungee Gum thing or Gon's rock-paper-scissors attack) completely awesome.

I will agree with Wyvern that the card game explanations in the Greed Island arc were a bit indulgent at times, but I enjoyed that arc as well^^ (That dodgeball game is one of my favorite things in the entire series! xD)

Here's the secret to HxH:

It's basically an R.P.G

If there's anyone who actually keeps track
of "power levels" it would be Togashi.

I'm sure he does, but then, I wouldn't have noticed (outside of Greed Island, anyway), since I'm not a gamer at all. Razz

There was one volume of HxH I think
with the bonus pages being some
kind of table top RPG game that
Togashi and I guess some Japanese readers did
and he was printing the results.

Togashi basically treats everything like a puzzle
and hell he even had a point system for nen.

These are concepts you would find in an RPG game or an Adventure game.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Erm I think you will find the tournament arc is fantastic and is almost as good as the Hunter Exam arc and Phantom Troupe arc.

Christ if you can criticise one of the best Shonen battle Animes of all time for having a tournament fighting arc, why on earth are you bothering to watch(and review) Shonen battle?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I would not lump Togahi's notion of Nen and the rest as typical shonen powers. His system has by far the most depth, and can get really in depth and intricate.

I also like the Heaven's Arc because you get some screen time with Hisoka, who is probably one of the better grey villain/anti villain characters.

For now, only Togashi and Kishimoto can compete with the level of thought they have put in their pseudoscientific system of superpowers.

Also, both authors are very smart, comparing to most of others, and this is shows with the way how they scheme and calculate both tactical and strategic events in their projects.

sainta wrote:
redranger wrote:
You're all bitching because the nen system isn'y typical shonen. And if it was typical you'd all still be bitching. Pathetic.

It's actually like typical shonen, RPGs or even Avatar where people actually have different attributes to perform different abilities. The problem is that the concept of Nen is full of explanations and it gets tiring trying to remember each of them

It is not like typical shonen, RPG or Avatar, since this magical system Togashi came up with is so much more nuanced than that, and it makes sense, if you care to hear or read. Nothing like usual skills in typical media or games.

HyugaHinata wrote:
sainta wrote:

Also Kurapica's character spoiler[is never developed in this arc. By the end, Kurapica keeps thinking on how many Troupe member are alive and does not think how dangerous were the previous fights for him and his friends.]

I'd have to disagree. spoiler[Kurapica refuses to sacrifice Gon and Killua for his revenge. They have, in essence, become his new tribe, bound stronger than mere relatives would be by default.]

spoiler[Kurapica is made to be softer character than Sasuke, from Naruto, which was totally consumed by darkness or revenge and hate and willing to sacrifice absolutely everyone. However, was there even intention or hint that Kurapica is person who would allow his friends die for revenge? ]
So I am not sure, if there was much of character development in case of Kurapica.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
The problem with the Nen system, particularly in Heaven's Arena, is that it isn't as interwoven with the plot as it should be. Instead of naturally weaving it alongside the plot, there are long stretches of talking and explanation about a person's powers. That might work okay in a comic book, but in a TV show, it's quite annoying.

Case in point: Hisoka's first fight in the arc. We get an awesome fight where Hisoka crushes his opponent by doing something seemingly impossible--and then the rest of the episode is the show explaining how he did it (instead of, oh I don't know, keeping the audience in suspense for a bit?). So you have an awesome first half, and a really boring second half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2