• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yaoi Press Founder Arrested for Alleged Drug Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Moron: It's a story. If you don't want to read opinions then you probably should get out of the forums. If it is true that in fact what she was selling was DXM, then all she would have to do was take two tablets of her own supplement to realize that it's not a stimulant (lower dosages produce a drunk-like effect). Why would you sell tens of thousands of pills on a shady website and not realize what they are. Unless there is some crazy and elaborate explanation then I would say there is a 99% chance she knew exactly what they were. And if she knew what they were, then she's a drug peddler. Simple as that. If there is some evidence that you know that proves the stuff in the report wrong, or it comes out in court she was selling drugs online for fear of her life, then I will apologize.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Baltimoron wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
Not really feeling sorry for someone who sells pseudoscience and was very rude to me and other people I knew when I met her at a con.

Dargonxtx wrote:
She's a drug peddler, plain and simple.

DoktorZetsobou wrote:
...revealed as even more of a scumbag than she seems...

The court of public opinion sucks pretty hard.

As it oftentimes does. That said, I too was at first worried that this was going to be another obscenity case. This, on the other hand, probably won't have much affect on anything for those not directly involved. Like she said, the company will go on, so those that purchased their products will still be able to get them.

How so? She's the owner of Yaoi Press, right? That business could be considered an asset. Seizure of assets is what the government also does. (In this article, it mentioned that her home could be seized.)

She also has a public defender for an attorney. Bad, bad news...

That was funny, accelagirl. Laughing

Could be and will be are too very different things. She could face fines, but maybe not, she could lose her house, but maybe not. Not to mention, as this article points out, the potential forfeiture is tied to properties from the proceeds of the alleged crime. Unless YP is proven to have come from that money, it can't be taken (or shouldn't be, at least). As I said, unlike an obscenity case, this probably won't matter to most of us here. And my main point still stands, we don't know all the facts so there is no reason for us to judge this already. Until this actually goes through a trial, or plea deal most likely, we can't say that she did or did not do it.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Cait wrote:
I don't know what this says about me as a person, but when I read this news my first reaction (after, "WTF?!") was, "Thank God it isn't obscenity..." I guess we'll find out more when this thing goes to trial.

Me too. I was thinking "uh oh this is it people"

But no, she was just selling mislabeled drugs.

Sad that we have to worry about that.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Baltimoron wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
Not really feeling sorry for someone who sells pseudoscience and was very rude to me and other people I knew when I met her at a con.

Dargonxtx wrote:
She's a drug peddler, plain and simple.

DoktorZetsobou wrote:
...revealed as even more of a scumbag than she seems...

The court of public opinion sucks pretty hard.

As it oftentimes does. That said, I too was at first worried that this was going to be another obscenity case. This, on the other hand, probably won't have much affect on anything for those not directly involved. Like she said, the company will go on, so those that purchased their products will still be able to get them.

How so? She's the owner of Yaoi Press, right? That business could be considered an asset. Seizure of assets is what the government also does. (In this article, it mentioned that her home could be seized.)

She also has a public defender for an attorney. Bad, bad news...

That was funny, accelagirl. Laughing

Could be and will be are too very different things. She could face fines, but maybe not, she could lose her house, but maybe not. Not to mention, as this article points out, the potential forfeiture is tied to properties from the proceeds of the alleged crime. Unless YP is proven to have come from that money, it can't be taken (or shouldn't be, at least). As I said, unlike an obscenity case, this probably won't matter to most of us here. And my main point still stands, we don't know all the facts so there is no reason for us to judge this already. Until this actually goes through a trial, or plea deal most likely, we can't say that she did or did not do it.

But if she didn't keep her accounts separate and can't prove that money from the webite did not go to Yaoi Press, then it's fair game for the government to seize. She has to pay fines too if found guilty. The money has to come from somewhere.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Cait wrote:
I don't know what this says about me as a person, but when I read this news my first reaction (after, "WTF?!") was, "Thank God it isn't obscenity..." I guess we'll find out more when this thing goes to trial.

Me too. I was thinking "uh oh this is it people"

But no, she was just selling mislabeled drugs.
Oh what a relief aye? Rolling Eyes
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Well the manga probably isn't selling, so you gotta make it up somewhere else.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

But if she didn't keep her accounts separate and can't prove that money from the webite did not go to Yaoi Press, then it's fair game for the government to seize. She has to pay fines too if found guilty. The money has to come from somewhere.

The trick is that the burden of proof is on the state, not her. That's the way criminal trials work. Sure, if she didn't keep it separate it'd hurt, but it's up to the prosecutor to show that it was the case. Shadow of a doubt and all that, you know. In fact, a defendant is allowed to just sit there and do nothing if they want, sure that's a terrible strategy, but they aren't required to prove anything.
If she ends up paying fines, and typically they aren't set at the maximum, and she gets to keep her business, then they'd likely set up a payment plan with her. When large fines are levied the government typically doesn't expect to get everything all at once and leave the person with no means to support themselves.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
Thanks for the bad yaoi pr, like we need any more of that.
If it's any consolation, ayashe, this case probably isn't that big of a deal to the general public. Probably the only people even slightly interested in this case are people who already knows what "yaoi" is, and they probably already have an opinion about it unrelated to this event.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
ayashe wrote:
Thanks for the bad yaoi pr, like we need any more of that.
If it's any consolation, ayashe, this case probably isn't that big of a deal to the general public. Probably the only people even slightly interested in this case are people who already knows what "yaoi" is, and they probably already have an opinion about it unrelated to this event.

True. The news articles I've read don't really mention Yaoi Press. I did see some comments at the news sites about it, but it wasn't in the actual article.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Truth fully this doesn't surprise me. I've met her once, she didn't really impress me that well. The one good thing coming out of this publicity is otaku mex gets mentioned on this site. Not sure if its the right type of publicity were looking for haha. Though those charges are very serious. I believe its up to a 20 year prison sentence and with the war on drugs odds are somewhat against her esp if she's already hired a public defender. She should know better. I mean your selling that many bottles you sure are up to something. I have no sympathy for her case.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting (quite possible, as I know next to nothing about legal stuff), but...
Quote:
She was charged with seven counts of mail fraud, one count of misbranding a drug, one count of introducing goods into U.S. commerce by means of false statements, and criminal forfeiture.
This isn't quite the same as being charged with "drug dealing," right? (seriously, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Either way, it honestly kinda rubs me the wrong way when I see people coming on here saying things along the lines of, "Well I met her once and didn't like her, so I have no pity"; calling her a "drug peddler," "scumbag," etc. Really, one can find these sketchy "herbal supplement" ads in the backs of a number of magazines (Rolling Stone comes to mind). I'm sorry, in my mind this is not that serious* (for the record, I also think marijuana is not that serious, though "the Law" may beg to differ). I seriously don't mean to start a "drug use/abuse" debate (as I sip on my 3rd drink of the evening Rolling Eyes ), but people seem sooo quick to judge.

*Edit: Although not knowing what's in the stuff you're selling is being negligent-- though I'm sure she wouldn't be the first "supplement" dealer to have no clue what they're actually re-selling to the public, assuming she didn't know.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Winner don't use drugs (and yaoi too).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting (quite possible, as I know next to nothing about legal stuff), but...
Quote:
She was charged with seven counts of mail fraud, one count of misbranding a drug, one count of introducing goods into U.S. commerce by means of false statements, and criminal forfeiture.
This isn't quite the same as being charged with "drug dealing," right? (seriously, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Either way, it honestly kinda rubs me the wrong way when I see people coming on here saying things along the lines of, "Well I met her once and didn't like her, so I have no pity"; calling her a "drug peddler," "scumbag," etc. Really, one can find these sketchy "herbal supplement" ads in the backs of a number of magazines (Rolling Stone comes to mind). I'm sorry, in my mind this is not that serious* (for the record, I also think marijuana is not that serious, though "the Law" may beg to differ). I seriously don't mean to start a "drug use/abuse" debate (as I sip on my 3rd drink of the evening Rolling Eyes ), but people seem sooo quick to judge.

*Edit: Although not knowing what's in the stuff you're selling is being negligent-- though I'm sure she wouldn't be the first "supplement" dealer to have no clue what they're actually re-selling to the public, assuming she didn't know.

Like a lot of law, there is some room for interpretation. As you've pointed out, she isn't being charged with selling a controlled substance, which is the more common terminology used when someone is a accused of being a drug dealer. That said, there is a push to have selling medicines and supplements (primarily selling prescription meds so kids can get high) counted along the same lines. So don't feel bad about the confusion because it's somewhat ambiguous.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
Winner don't use drugs (and yaoi too).

but it depends on what she was selling it as. If the ads were pitching it as an herbal version of a street drug, then the buyer knew what they were trying to get. If she said it provided these non-proven health benefits as so many herbal suppliments do(like those endless "male enhancement" ads one sees on the various cable channels), then the buyers shouldn't have been looking to "use drugs" & were duped.
This sounds more snake oil salesmanship selling a magic liver pill or elixar where the major ingredient is sugar &/or water, only using something with a bite to it to make purchasers come back for more.
More likely, unless she has a criminal history, as a first-timer she'll get some sort of probation unless she's deemed to be a major seller & the amounts didn't sound extraordinary. Not like she had a truckload of marijuana, a meth lab, or a few pounds of cocaine in her possession.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3