• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Peepo Choo, Twin Spica, Needle, Chi's Sweet Home

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Vertical also confirmed that it has Kanata Konami's Chi's Sweet Home manga about a kitten's slice-of-life adventures.

Vertical, you just frickin' made my year. Anime hyper
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
I am very happy that Chi was licensed, but which version? All color or black in white? I've read the all color version and needless to say, its quite well drawn.

Have to admit, I never expected to see Chi licensed though. Maybe, just maybe the first season will be licensed with a english audio as well. But for now, its great that Chi is licensed.

But I'll probably pick this series up since I really enjoyed reading and watching the show.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
+1 on Twin Spica. I'm itching to get my hands on that last volume, but to get an english language version was more than I could have hoped for.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wait. The Vertical rep was telling me it was a challenge for anyone but Del Rey to currently license KC manga. If it's not, then I was hoping they'd be more bold.

It is, but since I used to work with Kodansha and I know Felipe and the editor for Chi, since I worked for Morning, that made things easier...slightly. The negotiation process for Chi took more than 4 months!!! While Twin spica took three weeks.

Quote:
Hell, they were telling me they were aiming for seinen titles last time. Guess that didn't work out?

actually it did...Peepo Choo isn't just seinen it is from a seinen alternative magazine Morning Two, Kodansha's version of IKKI. And Chi is also seinen as it ran in Morning along side Zipang, Vagabond and Hataraki-man. Comic Flapper is a seinen sci-fi fantasy magazine where we got the Guin Saga manga, so Spica and Needle are both also techincally seinen. Needle we will market older. Peepo Choo will be 18+. Chi and Spica though we will market younger.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="einhorn303"]
bigheart711 wrote:
You can IN AMERICA.

Great news. It would have been a real shame if it didn't get printed in it's original language.

Felipe will not allow us to use the original cover for volume one and has provided a new cover to us already.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am very happy that Chi was licensed, but which version? All color or black in white? I've read the all color version and needless to say, its quite well drawn.

it will be in full-color for $13.95.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Ed: I see. Sounded like teen-oriented stuff more than seinen to me, but I'll consider some of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ed: Since no one else appears to want it, and since you can work with KC, can you consider license-rescuing Cromartie, too, please? I'll pay for a Yen-style release where the new volumes come out first, and I'll even do a wideban thing like Del Rey's going for with Kyo, if that's the only way to finish it. Also, considering the success of the Boondocks and Afro Samurai, have you considered stealing Tokyo Tribes from TP?
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ed: Since no one else appears to want it, and since you can work with KC, can you consider license-rescuing Cromartie, too, please? I'll pay for a Yen-style release where the new volumes come out first, and I'll even do a wideban thing like Del Rey's going for with Kyo, if that's the only way to finish it.

Definitely something I have considered. But our only option would be an omnibus release to finish off the series.

Quote:
Also, considering the success of the Boondocks and Afro Samurai, have you considered stealing Tokyo Tribes from TP?

As company policy we don't steal here at Vertical. Either way, Tokyo Tribes is not really something I am interested in at this time; I'd rather focus my efforts on Peepo Choo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ed: I think the Cromartie fans would love to see it finished, even if only in omnibus form. Crying or Very sad Believe me, when they played the LA movie @ AX a while back, it was a packed house. And that didn't even happen with the LA Cutey Honey.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
As always Vertical's panels always has an impressive line up. I'm looking forward to seeing 'Peepo Choo'. Really interested in this title. So will be passing this along. I was also surprised to hear about 'Twin Spica' being picked up here. I hope that it finds an audience. I'm also curious about 'Chi's sweet home'.

Considering Vertical being such a small company I have to give them much credit for taking chances on the types of non-mainstream titles. I hope that they will continue to stick around and hopefully release more vintage titles. Since there was a possibility of them releasing older shoujo works, like the 'Fabulous 49'ers'. I also added 'Ribbon no Kishi'. Which is funny because I remember a magazine publication which ran images from the book translated. Yet there was no mention if it was being considered or not. But here's hoping to seeing more stuff like this. Sadly it's still a niche market where only hardcore fans and institutions would be interested.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Since there was a possibility of them releasing older shoujo works, like the 'Fabulous 49'ers'.

Yup! We should be adding titles from two or more 49ers in the next two years.

Quote:
I also added 'Ribbon no Kishi'. Yet there was no mention if it was being considered or not.

I thought someone asked about it...We have considered it but are not sure when to and how release it. Possibly once Black Jack is done in 2012. But we have two other Tezuka titles we have ahead of Ribbon right now.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Twin Spica's near-future coming-of-age story follows a girl named Asumi who is going to a space academy. With a little push from her rocket design engineer father, Asumi studies to be an astronaut. Asumi's choice is influenced by a family tragedy and a figure from the past.

GunBuster is indeed a classic within the genre of sci-fi anime. Long may it continue to be an influence!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Since there was a possibility of them releasing older shoujo works, like the 'Fabulous 49'ers'.

Yup! We should be adding titles from two or more 49ers in the next two years.

Quote:
I also added 'Ribbon no Kishi'. Yet there was no mention if it was being considered or not.

I thought someone asked about it...We have considered it but are not sure when to and how release it. Possibly once Black Jack is done in 2012. But we have two other Tezuka titles we have ahead of Ribbon right now.

That's excellent news. Yeah that was me there. But that would be great. Though I can't think of any other Tezuka material (and I'm sure there may be more hidden away), but if there isn't any more to consider then definitely getting 'Ribbon no Kishi' exposure down the line is something to look forward to.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ed: 2012? Does that mean the end of the bimonthly thing? 'Cus at the current release schedule, you should be done by 2011. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3