• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Jin and the Dragonauts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
for someone who considered Full Metal Panic and Spice & Wolf not good enough for Shelf Worthy, I am shocked to see Bamboo Blade up there. wow.

That's just...insane.
Shiro_Shishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
for someone who considered Full Metal Panic and Spice & Wolf not good enough for Shelf Worthy, I am shocked to see Bamboo Blade up there. wow.

Oh my lord! Someone has an opinion of their own! Erin must be crazy.

Or SHE considers it more Shelf Worthy than those. But that's just silly right?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
XChampion wrote:
I still can`t believe how gonzo can go from making great shows like Samurai 7 and Trinity Blood...

I'm going to have to stop you there. Trinity Blood was a great show? Really? That show was widely panned as having a pretty mediocre plot, not to mention all the ripoffs from other works (such as Last Exile, Hellsing, Trigun, Chrno Crusade; heck, even Equilibrium). It was just a pretty show with not a single original bone in it. And you call it great?

I don't think much of Samurai 7 either. They didn't bother thinking through what a science fiction shift would mean to the overall plot and premise, they just stuck in giant robots. But it was, at least, more interesting than Trinity Blood, which, while gorgeous, went absolutely nowhere, and not just because of Author Existence Failure.

Meanwhile, what's an ōendan?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite the series' very liberal take on inter-species love, the lesbian inter-species dragon-human couple suffers a terrible fate.

Boo. Sad

That's always so disappointing to me! Can't gay couples have their happy endings outside of yaoi and yuri? Honestly. It's hard to take a show seriously when it claims that "true love conquers all," but only exemplifies this in blatantly heteronormative situations. Boo, I say!
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
[quote="Teriyaki Terrier]

Would I personally say Bamboo Blade is shelf worthy? Maybe, I haven't seen all the episodes. But it sure is better than Dragonaut.[/quote]

Not me. It definately deserves shelf worthy.Also the manga is very much as fun as the anime,though it does have more fanservice which i approve.

However dragonaut on perrishable isn't. I watched it and it's very a decent series.

Could it have been better??? Sure. but it by no means bad. it's similar to Kaze no Stigma which also had the similar flaws but was still a solid series. It's a shelf worthy to me,however for others,unless you also like Kaze no Stigma,it's a rental at best.

If anything should be perishable,it's the cased closed movie cause though the dub is fine,the massive edits and mistreatment of the series in general earns it that rank.

My rank :

Shelf Worthy:

Bamboo Blade Part 2

Dragonaut Part 2

Rental Shelf:

none

Perishable:

Detective Conan: The Last Wizard of the Century
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Shiro_Shishi wrote:
loka wrote:

Oh my lord! Someone has an opinion of their own! Erin must be crazy.

Or SHE considers it more Shelf Worthy than those. But that's just silly right?

Oh look another helpful person rushing in with the thunderingly obvious statement that a reviewer is entitled to his/her opinion. Duh. I'm not questioning Erin's right to opinion, I'm merely giving my opinion of her opinion. What does the name of this forum "Talkback" mean to you? Never-ending burbles of support? Rolling Eyes

Full Metal Panic is a show that not infrequently appears on people's Top Ten List. I'm willing to bet that will still be the case years from now. Bamboo Blade is - at best - a mediocre, by the numbers offering. I watched the first six episodes, starting off kind of liking it and then just becoming bored. To rate it above FMP is absurd, in my opinion.

Last edited by Blood- on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I really struggled with making this Shelf Worthy. The MSRP is pretty high,

dtm42 wrote:

And yeah, I too was surprised to see Bamboo Blade being a Shelf Worthy title. It is rather expensive, something which Erin has highlighted in the past as being an important factor in deciding whether a title should be Shelf Worthy or merely Rental.

And yet... the MSRP is no higher than most other Funimation 13-ep sets?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Despite the series' very liberal take on inter-species love, the lesbian inter-species dragon-human couple suffers a terrible fate.

Boo. Sad

That's always so disappointing to me! Can't gay couples have their happy endings outside of yaoi and yuri? Honestly. It's hard to take a show seriously when it claims that "true love conquers all," but only exemplifies this in blatantly heteronormative situations. Boo, I say!

I quite agree. And truthfully, as well animated as it is, I might have watched Dragnauts if it were a Yuri title. As is? Nope.

And they spent so much money on it, when others are using the same tired formulas/cliche with much cheaper animation and striking gold. Go figure.

Re: Shelf Worthy

I liked Bamboo Blade. I thought it was enjoyable and fun to watch. Enough to own it? Well, there are others ahead of it in the "to be purchased" line, so we'll see (like Spice & Wolf).

Speaking of which, I'm surprised neither FMP or S & W got the nod. I'll admit I'm truly besotted with Spice and Wolf and Full Metal Panic is a classic, in my opinion (which I already own, including Fumoffu and The Second Raid) -one's on the shelf, they other is coming home to roost very soon.

But, to each there own.

I find Erin brings up an interesting point about Shelves: The A+ Masterpieces, who's vaunted place is unquestioned vs. The Shelf of Guilty Pleasures, whom we privately adore like a manly-man biker owning/riding a Vespa Scooter.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Erin, thanks for putting Bamboo Blade in the Shelf Worthy category. It's far from perfect, but I think it stood out among the shows that aired that year.

I'm hoping this means you're relaxing your standards a bit when it comes to resale price. For the average collector who probably shelled out the extra quatloos for singles a couple of years ago, I just don't see cost being that great a factor outside of something like a Bandai Visual release.

As far as extras are concerned, I can understand why a buyer would favor a set that includes them, but when there's only a single local version of a series available, is their presence or absence really a factor when determining whether a show is worth buying (I mean, isn't that why we call them, "extras")?
LambdaDriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
You need to watch the Conan movie again if you don't understand the significance of the title. They explain it all at the end during the "lets explain the mystery phase". That fact would probably have not affected the movies rating, but the way you describe it in the review makes it seem that you just skimmed over the movie, not the standard I'd expect from ANN. I mean its not Evangelion, if you watched the movie they explain the title pretty clearly.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Bamboo Blade is probably my favorite series, but I always felt like I was the only person that liked it. I just feel like it has everything. Maybe a little too much drama in eps 20-24. That would be its only fault.

Dragonauts I feel is worth renting, but to each their own. I was a little interested in the plot (it was as intriguing as say, Jyu-Oh-Sei or Heroic Age), but felt the female character design detracted largely from the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Having recently started collecting cels myself, i've not yet been brave enough to frame any of mine due to the risk of warping of the cel or fading of the image.

You just need to find a good custom framer- any worth their salt these days will offer acid free backings/mats and UV protective glass to prevent fade and discoloration. A museum/preservation mount will secure the cel without attaching anything to it- and warping shouldn't be an issue as long as you get it matted.

Most craft stores offer custom framing options, and honestly take a great deal of care with your materials... if anything, just try watching/talking to the framers ahead of time to make sure you're happy with them.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh look another helpful person rushing in with the thunderingly obvious statement that a reviewer is entitled to his/her opinion. Duh. I'm not questioning Erin's right to opinion, I'm merely giving my opinion of her opinion. What does the name of this forum "Talkback" mean to you? Never-ending burbles of support? Rolling Eyes

Exactly. People are going to have their reactions. These reactions were not even that negative or mean at all. Shiro-Shishi is just grand-standing.

I too am perplexed that Bamboo Blade got shelf-worthy. I mean, I liked the show, but I have seen both FMP: TSR and Spice & Wolf. The latter two, from every point of view on all technical aspects, are leagues better than BB, there can be no argument there. Honestly, I got pretty bored in the last episodes of BB; most of those 'character-scenes' were so predictable that they felt obligatory. Its what convinced me to not purchase BB.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!

Bamboo Blade is SHELFWORTHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

*SPUTTER SPIT SPUTTER TRIPLE TAKE SPUTTER*
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of the shows featured this week and I don't plan to. I don't like conan period (While I normally like mysteries) and the other two sounded boring and not to my tastes :]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4