• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Parent Navarre Reports 3Q Sales Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm just baffled that FUNimation had announced the acquisition of Kai this early while they're still in the middle of releasing the Dragon Boxes.

Navarre made the announcement, not Funimation. I believe they did this to help boost their stocks and it appears to be working.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
we all know that shows like Toradora would sell like crazy, but instead they get shows like the big windup and they crap out.

And here's the proof. There's no way in knowing Toradora will sell like crazy despite fan appreciation for the series. After all, FUNimation tried to quell the "It's the same shit!" crowd with the release of Big Windup and it still failed despite appreciation from those who did take a chance with it.

While I agree it's true that there's rarely a way to know with any certainty that a show will be successful, you generally increase your chances by getting more popular shows. This doesn't seem like rocket science to me. And in fact your use of The Big Windup just pretty much proves that.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
So, it looks to me as though FUNimation simply can't win regardless what they license and bank on trying to find unexpected successes, like the series Spice & Wolf.

The problem with this method is that it's subject to the vagaries of an increasingly unpredictable market. And the only way to combat this would be to license an ungodly amount of shows, most of which are, let's be honest, going to fail. So it's either that or bank on shows that show some promise of popularity (something like Toradora! seems to be a no-brainer based on the critical and fan appreciation,) which will of course mean that less popular but still excellent shows will not be picked up. Luckily, we have other companies like Nozomi who are willing to take a chance on these kinds of shows.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

we all know that shows like Toradora would sell like crazy, but

but they wont sell well with me :/

------------
anyway. I think i understand what they're saying here.

its like..

if I buy 100 apples for 50cents each. then resell them for 1$ each. and only sell 50 apples (50$ profit). i still made the money back so.

next time I'll only buy 50 apples (for the same price). then sell them for 75cents and sell 40 of them (30$ profit) . I'll still have made back the money i spent. but I have less profit this time than the previous time.

right?
lol. did that make it any easier to understand? Anime hyper
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm just baffled that FUNimation had announced the acquisition of Kai this early while they're still in the middle of releasing the Dragon Boxes.

Navarre made the announcement, not Funimation. I believe they did this to help boost their stocks and it appears to be working.
Seems to be more of an appeasement* since it is already listed at Walmart with a May release so it would have been found out soon enough regardless. FUNi was probably going to announce it sometime this month.

*"What's a new guaranteed strong title to tell our investors about?"
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I would of got some of there DVDs but I cant even find anime in any of the stores where I live
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well I would of got some of there DVDs but I can't even find anime in any of the stores where I live
Well, go to bestbuy.com find a title you want to buy(search) then click on find stores, then put in your address and it will list all the bestbuy's that are kinda close to where you live. Best Buy always has anime in stock, its just the matter of finding the store that has what you want.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well I would of got some of there DVDs but I can't even find anime in any of the stores where I live
Best Buy always has anime in stock, its just the matter of finding the store that has what you want.

This is increasingly less true... I have 5 stores near me and several have stopped carrying more than their top 100, and the others aren't replacing as often as they used to. THAT seems to no be helping with sales bottom line from funi or Sec23 perspective, even though it's smart from BestBuy's side.

Go online if you can... it's not as much fun to browse, but at least you'll find it. And? Even if you don't have credit cards? IFF you can find something at Target.com it is usually fulfilled by Amazon, but they take Target gift cards, that you can pay cash for in your local store... works great if you are a cash person...
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
mckg1 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Best Buy always has anime in stock, its just the matter of finding the store that has what you want.

This is increasingly less true... I have 5 stores near me and several have stopped carrying more than their top 100, and the others aren't replacing as often as they used to. THAT seems to no be helping with sales bottom line from funi or Sec23 perspective, even though it's smart from BestBuy's side.

Go online if you can... it's not as much fun to browse, but at least you'll find it. And? Even if you don't have credit cards? IFF you can find something at Target.com it is usually fulfilled by Amazon, but they take Target gift cards, that you can pay cash for in your local store... works great if you are a cash person...
Best Buy has gift cards available & they can be used to buy stuff from their website.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Are you aware of something called the internet? You must be, else you couldn't have told us the above....
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Reading between the lines, it looks like Navarre is in pretty good shape actually. Most of their loses seem to stem from restructuring issues (ex: BCI not generating any revenue) and not having enough product to sell do to fewer releases. Basically it looks like Funimation is going to go on a Licensing spree to met demand and increase sales through releases. At least is how I'm reading their current state.
myc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Perhaps if someone was funding some of the better shows so there would be more than 12 episodes and gone, maybe then we would be more inclined to purchase more DVDs. It is frustrating to get hooked and then realize there is nothing more...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2