• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kenshi Hirokane

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Glad to see you guys find this series interesting; I was afraid that no one would be interested in a series with serious business themes.

Follow-up: Hirokane-sensei added a story (chapter 69) with Shima having a business trip to Taipei, with Taipei 101 in the background.

© Kenshi Hirokane "President Shima Kosaku" / Kodansha / Sharp Point Press

vashfanatic wrote:
Please keep up these kinds of articles! I like being educated. Very Happy

There will be an interview with Tadashi Agi, author of Kami no Shizuku and many other series (using half a dozen different pen names), on June 25. While I like reading stories behind vineyards and wineries / Château, I'm allergic to alcohol (a sip below 10 ml is okay) and basically a teetotaler, so I'm requesting wine lovers to provide interesting questions (Bordeaux wine in particular). There will be a charity auction of a bottle of 1999 Château Palmer to be signed by the author; the money received will be donated to World Vision Taiwan.

RestlessOne wrote:
Whenever I hear anything about salary man or businessman manga, your user name/user image is the first thing in my head Very Happy This time was no different.

Well, this genre is not popular enough in North America, and I wouldn't expect many titles to be licensed, let alone inviting authors. On the other hand, this genre has a strong yuppie feeling, which is very popular here, so it's natural to remind you of me. Wink

RestlessOne wrote:
President Kosaku series

Some nitpicking: his family name is Shima (島), which literally means "island;" His given name Kōsaku (耕作) means "cultivation." Together, his name means "cultivating the island [of Japan] (with diligence)," reflecting the workplace ethics of Japanese baby boomers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
That was most interesting, especially the comments about women in the workplace. I enjoy these articles about facets of East Asian culture that do not make it into translation in North America. I feel that having a broader context makes for more enjoyable reading and watching of what is available here, and especially helps me appreciate and understand the subtitled movies I buy from Hong Kong. Thank you!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Silly me! I'd forgotten that there actually is an English version of Kosaku Shima. Kodansha Bilingual Comics has several volumes out. These are in English, but have the original Japanese dialog written in a tiny font in the white space outside of the panels. These are marketed more at language learners than comic fans, which may be why they're off the radar of many folks.

Be aware that this is a seinen manga, and as is often the case with those, nudity/sexual situations appear from time to time. If it were a movie, it would be rated R. If you don't want that, you have been warned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2