• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah, k, that would make sense. I had thought it was an entire volume's worth previously, good to have that confirmed.

I definitely agree that it wouldn't make much sense not to bring that volume over, unless Bunny Drop's sales are really bad and they'd rather just finish the storyline and be done.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
It's more than 2 chapters; it's an actual volume with about 200 pages. North just meant (I assume) that he/she had read 2 chaps via scans.

You assumed right. I didn't say anything else because I didn't know how much more Bunny Drop was made past the ninth volume. (Nor did I really bother to check, since I plan on buying every single volume released in English anyway.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I'm not raising a daughter, I'm raising a wife.]Carry on.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
I have held my peace for a while now, i did not expect american readers to be so silly about this wonderful story. In Japan close relations are just that, relations between people that are close. I am not going to go into detail for anyone who knows this artist and author and the story, and the wonderful nature of it all, including the beautiful anime interpretation will either understand and love it or be fearful and raise objections. I have no answer for those who do not understand for they clearly do not accept Japanese culture and enjoyment of life in all of its shades, and events as openly as others do. It is the loss of those who do not understand. But please as others have said, let us continue to enjoy sharing about the series without making it unpleasant.

I encourage Rebecca our reviewer to be more open minded and not so fearful and to accept the story and its wonderful variations on what some may think of as "normal" for sincere story. It is the best role of a good reviewer to share the qualities of a work, not the fears of the reviewer....that is a personal choice of the reader and should be respected.

The ending will be as real and as wonderfully sincere as all of this series has been and I celebrate the beauty of manga, and Japanese creativity and love of life. Back to the story please and thank you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I have held my peace for a while now, i did not expect american readers to be so silly about this wonderful story. In Japan close relations are just that, relations between people that are close.

spoiler[Americans have close relationships too, and they can be close to their aunts and adopted daughters without marrying them. Bagging on Americans - or any civilised Westerners - for being unhappy with a relationship development better suited for the dark ages is close-minded at best and borders on trolling.]

And since I said I wouldn't talk about the ending, that's all I'm gonna say about that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
spoiler[I'm not raising a daughter, I'm raising a wife.]Carry on.

I thought that's your given? Wink

dtm42 wrote:
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I have held my peace for a while now, i did not expect american readers to be so silly about this wonderful story. In Japan close relations are just that, relations between people that are close.

spoiler[Americans have close relationships too, and they can be close to their aunts and adopted daughters without marrying them. Bagging on Americans - or any civilised Westerners - for being unhappy with a relationship development better suited for the dark ages is close-minded at best and borders on trolling.]

And since I said I wouldn't talk about the ending, that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Yeah, you bring up a point. Why is it OK for the Japanese but not OK for the rest of us to do it?! We want our own princess maker culture too, respected dammit! Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:

I encourage Rebecca our reviewer to be more open minded and not so fearful and to accept the story and its wonderful variations on what some may think of as "normal" for sincere story. It is the best role of a good reviewer to share the qualities of a work, not the fears of the reviewer....that is a personal choice of the reader and should be respected.

Thank you for your comments, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was afraid of the direction the story was headed. When I write my reviews, I also try to consider my audience - a basic tenet of writing - and judging by the reactions of ANN readers who have discussed this series in the past, I wanted to address their concerns. Since there seems to be a large body preoccupied with the ending, I seek to address it.

Personally, I am simply enjoying the story less because I found the first four volumes more compelling in their depiction of a man struggling to raise a child on his own. It was neither romanticized not cutesified, and I really appreciated it. The second half feels more familiar in terms of English-released manga, and as such is more hit or miss for me. Whether the ending is as some fear or not, that is hardly the deal breaker. Gratuitous character death is more of an issue for me than who ends up with whom and how, so I'm unlikely to be enraged by the ending, whatever it may be. (Unless it's gratuitous character death, of course.)

As you may have noted, I suggested in my review that Rin's insecurities form the base of her relationship with Daikichi at this stage, and that is something that I feel will drive the last two volumes. Of course I'm not certain - I try not to read scans per my own weird moral code - but spoiler[I really think that if Rin does announce her intention to stay with Daikichi forever, it will be because of their familial relationship, rather than a romantic one. I see them as being a close family unit, and if she says she wants to marry him, I think it's more likely to stem from a naivete about it being the only way she can hold on to him, since they aren't genetically father and daughter.]

I hope that I have at least partially addressed your concerns.
thcozard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
The ending was shunned in Japan and in the west, it had the same reaction in both countries.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Man, all this talk about this otherwise excellent manga's upsetting ending makes me feel like Grover in "There's a Monster at The End of this Book"---"Don't you dare turn the page! Don't you know that there's a monster at the end of this book!

I'm not sure why the manga-ka opted for the time skip in the first place, as the first four volumes tell such an engaging, realistic and heartwarming story about the difficulties of single parenting. Then she went and arbitrarily split apart the most promising romantic pairing in the series! That's not as gratuitous as a character death for the shock value of it, but it is the destruction of an idealized relationship.

So I finally went to a Wiki and just read some generalized chapter summaries:
spoiler[Rebecca is on the nose when she says that all "romantic" feelings stem from Rin and not Daikichi. That's a bit of a relief. Also, Daikichi's grandfather is not Rin's bio father, which I suspected from the anime. It's nice to get that confirmation.]

I will reserve judgment until all the volumes are out in English and we can get an "official" North American reaction of the ending, but in my mind, the story can end with the anime's last episode, and then in my fanfiction fantasy spoiler[Daikichi and Yukari Nitani marry, joining their two families into one and having children of their own. The "yucky" ending is Rin and Kouki getting together anyway, because step-sibling relationships aren't unheard of but still leave a bad taste in most people's mouths. Masako gets a chance at redemption and reconnecting with Rin and everyone lives happily ever.]

No monsters need appear at the end of this book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2