• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Have two more nominations to cough up!

Inuyasha, Inuyasha
Who He Is: Inuyasha was born in the union between a human mother and demon father, making him a half-demon. Being feared and shunned among both humans and demons, Inuyasha sought the Shikon Jewel so he could use its power to become a full demon, yet encounters and falls in love the jewel’s guardian, the priestess Kikyo. When events lead to Inuyasha’s sealing and Kikyo’s death, Inuyasha awakens 50 years later to encounter his former lover’s reincarnation, modern era schoolgirl Kagome Higurashi, who traveled back in time through the Bone Eater’s Well. The two find themselves forced into an uneasy alliance to gather fragments of the Shikon Jewel when an arrow shot from Kagome leads the jewel to shatter into many pieces and become scattered throughout Japan.
How He Improves: Because of being shunned by demon and human alike, Inuyasha was used to being alone since his mother’s death thus he strongly distrusted others, was highly arrogant and sought out the Shikon Jewel as a means of fitting in with demons. His interactions with Kagome and discovering that gaining the power of a demon could cost him his morality lead Inuyasha’s character to soften considerably throughout the series as he comes to trust in Kagome and the companions he gains in his journey and to cast aside his earlier desires of wanting to be a full demon. Throughout Inuyasha’s journey in finding Shikon Jewel fragments with his companions, the half-demon comes to learn of the joys and pains of being human, as well as finding himself gaining romantic feelings for Kagome.

Sesshomaru, Inuyasha
Who He Is: Sesshomaru is the full demon half-brother of Inuyasha who seeks out his half-brother for their father’s sword, Tetsusaiga. Believing that only he is worthy of ownership of the sword, Sesshomaru was a common enemy for Inuyasha in early episodes of the series as Sesshomaru was willing to kill anyone in the way of his desire to gain possession of his father’s sword. He also questioned why his father left him in possession of the rusted sword, Tensaiga, as Sesshomaru found the sword to be worthless for use in battle. However, Sesshomaru’s encounter with an orphaned girl named Rin leads him to shift his focus towards killing the evil half-demon, Naraku.
How He Improves: Sesshomaru starts off as an arrogant and merciless character who thought highly of his abilities as a powerful full-blooded demon and was willing to kill anyone who was in the way of his goals. He looked down upon Inuyasha for his half-human bloodline, questioned why his father had a relationship with a human woman and wondered why he was given Tensaiga. When he encounters Rin, Sesshomaru slowly learns to develop compassion for others throughout the series as he takes the young girl as a traveling companion and becomes fiercely protective of her for the rest of the series. His attachment to Rin leads Sesshomaru to give up on his pursuit of Tetsusaiga, show concern for Kohaku and Kagura from their forced servitude to Naraku and to often come to Inuyasha’s aid in heated battles against Naraku and his minions.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Voting for

Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Madoka was also on my to-nominate list, glad to see I'm not alone in thinking of her.

Nominating

Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic franchise

Who he is: A high school student who can not only see spirits but seems to attract them as well. One day, he arrives a store where wishes can be granted for a price. The price for his wish, as outlined by the store owner, Yuko, is to work in the store and do whatever errands that she demands of him, from fighting the supernatural to cooking and cleaning.

How he improves: Watanuki has one of the most extensive character arcs in anime. He goes from being a whiny, petulant child to being incredibly capable young man who cares deeply not only for those he knows but for the complete strangers who routinely walk into the shop. And thus he goes from being one of the series' biggest turnoffs to one of its greatest strengths.

Picture

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Sweet, and excuse for a nominee from this series!

Nominating:

Hikaru Shindo, Hikaru no Go
Who he is: Hikaru is just an average elementary school child. Until he one day touches a Go board found in his grandfather's attic with a cursed blood stain. From that moment on, he is possessed by the Go loving ghost Sai, who begins to teach him all of his knowledge to a kid who knows (and cares) as much about Go as the audience.
How he improves: this is a kid who basically touches and is then possessed by the world's biggest cheat code for Go. He could just listen to Sai and appease his appetite for Go and never lift a finger to play with his own mind. And yet, he starts to develop a genuine interest in Go after meeting his rival, Akira. So rather than use his infinite, never lose cheat code, he actually decides to actually learn the game for himself. He goes from average boy, to joining the Go club, the joining the insei (a training school for future pros), to becoming a pro, all while playing the games for himself and merely learning from his ghost rather than actually using him to play (as it is implied his last possessed person did).

*edit forgot a pic or two

Yeah, that's all I can come up with for now that hasn't already been mentioned, I'll second things later.

Last edited by zawa113 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Taichi Mashima, Chihayafuru

Who is he: In the main character’s Chihaya’s flashback to elementary, Taichi is a smart sixth grade classmate who strives to be the best in everything that he does. He becomes jealous of fellow classmate Arata when he realizes the later has amazing skills in Karuta and has the strong potential to be better at in than Taichi is. During the series proper, Taichi is a freshman at Chihaya’s high school and helps her to start up a Karuta club and recruit new members. He ends up as the club’s president and works to become a Class A Karuta player and reach the same level as both Chihaya and Arata.

How he improves: Taichi improves via multiple levels throughout the series. In sixth grade, Taichi does a couple of underhanded techniques in order to increase his own chances in their Karuta match. However after Taichi is beaten when Chihaya steps in, he admits to his crime and feels genuinely sorry about his actions. The three of them form a friendship based around teamwork, which counters Taichi’s initial disposition of putting himself before all else and only working to push himself forward. Taichi’s continuance of Karuta throughout middle school and high school, despite his mother’s claims that it is a waste of time since he is not the best, shows how he can accept that it is not required for him to be perfect in all aspects of life, but at the same time he makes a conscious effort to improve his abilities where he can. He continues to show character improvement throughout his first year of high school through some of his smaller actions that show his increased dedication to Karuta and to his friends. For the longest time, Taichi would never practice his swings before a Karuta match believing it made him look silly and when he finally begins to do so, both his teammates and the audience become aware of his increased devotion and dedication to improving himself in the sport.

Picture

I apologize for my ramblings.

Supporting
Sesshomaru (Inuyasha)
Watanuki (xxxHolic)

Last edited by rosebrook11 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Rei Ayanami, Rebuild of Evangelion.

Who she is: The First Child and pilot of Evangelion Unit 00. A quiet girl who keeps to herself to the point of seeming emotionless, she claims to have nothing and that piloting the Eva is the only bond she has to the world. She places little value on herself and does not open up to anyone until she meets Shinji.

How she improves: I chose the Rebuild version of Rei because her character arc in the first two movies is more pronounced. After the battle with Ramiel and she spends more time with Shinji she begins to change. She says "thank you" for the first (but not last) time, she takes the initiative to learn to cook, puts together a dinner so Shinji and Gendo can become closer, and even begins greeting her classmates in the morning. After the incident with Bardiel and Unit 03, Rei heads into battle against Zeruel in her damaged Unit 00 not because she was told to, but because she wanted to make sure Shinji wouldn't have to pilot an Eva again.

Picture

Voting for:

Watanuki (xxxHolic).

I'd like to vote for Saber (Fate/Stay Night) and Hikaru (Hikaru no Go) too but since the format is wrong those nominations don't count..
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances

Who she is: Yukino is a first-year high school student who is the self-proclaimed 'queen of vanity'. She is obsessed with her image and will go to virtually any lengths to maintain her manufactured persona as the perfect student and perfect girl. However, she is aware of her character flaws, as she acknowledges that she is vain, jealous, and that in many respects she is a big fake.

How she improves: Yukino's transformation begins when her plan to become the incoming class rep (by finishing #1 on the entrance exam) is foiled by rival Soichiro Arima. One day, Arima drops by the Miyazawa household unannounced to return a CD he has borrowed from Yukino and sees her out of character with her guard down. Eventually, as a relationship develops between Yukino and Arima, she realizes that the life she has been living is shallow and empty. Although she sometimes has difficulty letting go certain aspects of her manufactured image, Yukino is gradually able to embrace her true self and form meaningful friendships with others.

Image: http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/13/79701.jpg

Voting for: Taiga Aisaka, Madoka Kaname

Edit: edited the show's name to English.

Last edited by victor viper on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Vote For

Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms
Simon, Gurren Lagann (I think he still needs a picture though)
Yukino Miyazawa, Kareshi Kanojo no Jijo

Youko seems like the obvious character that comes to mind for this game. While it would be kind of disappointing for the favorite to win, she's a great character, so it wouldn't be that disappointing.

I'm going to nominate a character that will probably not get many votes, due to not many people having seen his show . . . but here goes anyway. I would consider why this character improves a spoiler. It kind of seems inherent to the topic of this game that there will be spoilers, but I figured I would warn people anyway.

Nominating

Dewey, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS

Who he is: One of the two main minions of Buros, the leader of Dark Joker (which is basically the embodiment of all evil in the universe). Dewey's role is initially to summon the "monster of the day", in the same way as similar characters from Sailor Moon. In addition to summoning monsters, he can fight with an energy sword and shoot blasts of energy.

How he improves: Dewey's first improvement comes when he stops summoning generic monsters and starts fighting the heroes himself. He is simply a much more interesting and threatening villain than any of the one-episode monsters. However, his real improvement comes after Buros starts to power him up, leading to his body breaking down completely. When Buros immediately abandons him and Ririka proceeds to use some of the last of her power to heal him, he realized that he was wrong to follow Buros. He then switches sides, becoming one of the primary heroes. He takes over for Kanou/Kanon in that role, and is a much more compelling character (Kanou/Kanon was such a straightforward, purely good character that he tended to be rather boring). Dewey's progression from generic villain, to more interesting villain, to cool hero, is one of the ways the series transforms from a generic Sailor Moon ripoff to something actually pretty awesome (along with the changes to two other characters, but they aren't the ones I'm nominating here).

WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Wow the only animes I have watched are Toradora and PMMM, the one I nominated....
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Da Games Elite, I see that you have voted for two nominations, but you forgot to put a bolded title saying "supporting" or "voting for" above them. Also, some people forgot to add a bolded title for nominations, just FYI.

NOMINATING:

Mima Kirigoe, Perfect Blue
Who She Is: Mima is the lead singer of a semi-popular pop idol group (CHAM!), but she decides to quit to become an actress. The road to being an actress is difficult though as fans and her manager alike don't support her decision, and she starts off with a very small role in a TV crime drama. As CHAM!'s popularity soars Mima second-guesses her decision to leave the group, and when people around her start dying she begins second-guessing her very sanity.

How She Improves: The combination of feeling guilty for leaving her friends in the lurch and her insecurities over her acting ability shape Mima into a quiet and unsure girl. When she is cast as a rape victim and experiences the full horror of the scene it pushes her to mental instability. When she is at her limit, a close friend betrays her trust but instead of letting it break her, she fights for herself and through that experience gains confidence in herself.
Picture

Seta Sōjirō, Rurouni Kenshin
Who He Is: Sojiro's parents died when he was young, leaving him in the care of abusive relatives. Their constant physical and emotional assaults cause Sojiro to withdraw into himself and stunt his emotions so that he is always smiling, in particular when in danger or pain. When he finds and helps an injured fugitive (Shishio), he is given a sword and commits the mass murder of all his relatives. He then joins Shishio's rebels against the new Meiji era government.

How He Improves: 10 years later Sojiro meets Kenshin in battle, a wandering swordsman who refuses to kill and helped establish the Meiji government. Kenshin's spirit makes Sojiro question the mantra of kill or be killed Shishio has taught him. As they battle, Sojiro regains some of the emotions he sealed away, and when the fight is over he has been influenced by Kenshin's ideals, and decides to travel as a wandering swordsman like Kenshin to see the world and become his own person.
Picture

VOTING FOR:
Youko (Twelve Kingdoms)
Satou (Welcome to the NHK)
Tsume (Wolf's Rain)
Simon (Gurren Lagann)
Taiga (Toradora)
Madoka (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Hikaru (Hikaru no Go)
Yukino (His and Her Circumstances)

Last edited by Tris8 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Simon, Gurren Lagann (I think he still needs a picture though)

Got that covered. Key, feel free to use this pic for Simon's entry if the person who nominated him doesn't add it.

Quote:
I'd like to vote for Saber (Fate/Stay Night) and Hikaru (Hikaru no Go) too but since the format is wrong those nominations don't count..

How so? Me and classiczawa listed all the criteria for the particular character, linked an image (or two) and clearly stated we were nominating a character in the particular posts we made for them.

In any event:

Supporting:
Hikaru Shindo (Hikaru no Go)
Yukino Miyazawa (Kare Kano/ His and Her Circumstances)

I plan to do write ups for a couple more nominees before I call it a night. Unless anyone posts after this message, I'll be editing this post to add on my nominees.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
How so? Me and classiczawa listed all the criteria for the particular character, linked an image (or two) and clearly stated we were nominating a character in the particular posts we made for them.

You didn't bold them, but I see you've gone back and done so. Normally I wouldn't be so picky about it but the rules clearly state it'll be strictly enforced. Just wanted to point it out so you could make the necessary changes.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
All right, here are the last two I plan to nominate before I go off to snooze:

Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Who He Is: Kenshin is a highly skilled swordsman whom, in the final years of the era of the Tokugawa shogunate, fought on behalf of Katsura Koguro, an influential figure for the Ishin Shishi, as an assassin who would slay influential members of the shogunate and earning the name of “Hitokiri Battousai”. An encounter with a young woman named Tomoe Yukishiro during one of his assassinations would lead Kenshin through a series of events that would significantly change his outlook on life and what lead him to become the loveable wandering swordsman of the TV anime who swore never to take a life.
How He Improves: While his views on helping the Ishin Shishi were idealistic at first, the months of taking lives as an assassin led Kenshin to become cold and emotionally distant as his mind was focused primarily on the mission at hand. Kenshin’s encounter with Tomoe leads his personality to soften greatly as he falls in love with the woman and regains his love for life that he lost while working as an assassin. The shocking events that unfold with Tomoe in the final episode of Trust and Betrayal serve as the major motivation for Kenshin’s vow to never take a life when the new Meiji era comes to Japan.

Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Who He Is: Scar is an Ishvalan, a race of indigenous people whose strong religious beliefs led them to be discriminated against and targeted for extermination by the Amestris military in the infamous Ishval Civil War. Scar was heavily injured during the war by an Amestris alchemist named Solf Kimblee, which resulted in the cross-shaped scar across his face and the loss of one of his arms. Scar’s brother, an alchemist, used his abilities in a hasty first aid attempt to transfer his arm to his brother at the cost of his life. Gaining a strong hatred for the Amestris military as a result of the war, Scar took personal vengeance on the military as he killed soldiers using power of the alchemic arrays tattooed on what was the arm of his dead brother. His vengeance includes the Elric brothers for their affiliation with the military as they try uncovering the whereabouts of the Philosopher’s Stone.
How He Improves: Scar’s tragic past from the Ishval Civil War made him into a brooding, angry man willing to mercilessly kill anyone with the Amestris military, regardless of whether or not they had any past involvement with the war. However as events progressed in Brotherhood, Scar came to learn that his hatred and bloody rampage had its moral downfalls when he encountered Winry Rockbell, the orphaned daughter of two doctors that saved his life in the war and he killed in a blind rage, during a later confrontation with the Elrics. He also learned of the true culprits behind the setup of events that led to the Ishval Civil War in the form of Father and his Homunculus. With these events, Scar gave up on his blind plans of vengeance and allied with the Elrics and others in helping to not only thwart Father’s plans, but to also put an end to the corruption within Amestris.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Voting for

Hikaru (Hikaru no Go)
Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha)
Taichi (Chihayafuru)
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Voting for
Watanuki (xxxHolic)
Simon (Gurren Lagann)
Taichi (Chihayafuru)
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Nishi, Mind Game
Who He Is: A young boy whose lack of self-confidence prevents him from achieving his dream of being a mangaka and getting closer to his childhood sweet-heart, Myon.
How He Improves: During the series Nishi dies, meets God, and gets a second chance of living his life. As he is swallowed by a whale and gets through a Pinocchio-like experience. He finds self-confidence in himself and wins Myon's heart.

Picture

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28