• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 50 Top-Selling Animation Blu-ray Discs in Japan: 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:29 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Why is that God awful Cars 2 movie so popular in Japan? Same with Madagascar. The Toy Story trilogy are excellent movies are deserve all their sales, but Cars 2 isn't even close to Toy Story or anything listed on that list.

If you've seen Cars 2, there's much "Japanese participation" in it, so of course they'd like that. And not everything on the list deserve all their sales neither, so why expect anything different. But expect more and more of those are gonna appear on the blu-ray charts as the Hollywood studios wind down DVD-only releases in Japan.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
...why are you laughing at Strike Witches and K-On? Do you really think those aren't the types of titles that would sell?

RyanSaotome, ....sigh.... sometimes the impressions and reactions people have behind certain media titles are not limited to sales numbers. Sometimes, they're just not.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I notice the Macross DYRL uberset didn't quite make it onto this list (wonder how well it did?), while the Gunbuster Blu-Ray makes it in there near the bottom of the top 50. That's some real impressive staying power after all these years.

Gundam UC's massive success continues to astonish me. Nothing is all that close to volume 5, which sold nearly *5 times* the number of a given Yamato 2199 disc.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I don't really get why ANN adds Western cartoons to these lists (no other anime site that posts these lists does that), why are you laughing at Strike Witches and K-On? Do you really think those aren't the types of titles that would sell?

The fact that all animation in Japan is referred as アニメ helps. Even though ANN refers to anime as Japanese animation, it is taking the list from Oricon, which lists anything that's animation as アニメ.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Why is that God awful Cars 2 movie so popular in Japan? Same with Madagascar. The Toy Story trilogy are excellent movies are deserve all their sales, but Cars 2 isn't even close to Toy Story or anything listed on that list.

Because cars are popular in Japan. So a movie about cars being popular would fit in with that line of thought, especially among children.

Though its sales are inflated by being a DVD combo. The mainstream movies tend to do a lot better on DVD than Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray is more otaku territory. See: Totoro and Poppy Hill DVD sales in the othe list.

I know about Cars being popular in Japan. Well, cars are popular in all Alpha and Alpha+/Alpha++ cities, but still. It BEAT other Japanese and American films/animated series and ALL of them, even One Piece are way better.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:

If you've seen Cars 2, there's much "Japanese participation" in it, so of course they'd like that. And not everything on the list deserve all their sales neither, so why expect anything different. But expect more and more of those are gonna appear on the blu-ray charts as the Hollywood studios wind down DVD-only releases in Japan.

The Japanese as a whole aren't that full of themselves to like(especially like) things that have ethnic Japanese in them. Beauty and the Beast made the DVD list, but is not Japanese in any way. It's French in terms of setting. Same with Aladdin, which is set in an Arabian setting. If that was the case, I would love Inception and I hate Inception.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
...why are you laughing at Strike Witches and K-On? Do you really think those aren't the types of titles that would sell?

RyanSaotome, ....sigh.... sometimes the impressions and reactions people have behind certain media titles are not limited to sales numbers. Sometimes, they're just not.

Oh, so basically its just a "Why do people like something I don't like" thing?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh, so basically its just a "Why do people like something I don't like" thing?

Sometimes it's that, and other times it's not. Like with sales numbers, not every response, good or bad automatically boils down to that other way of thinking either.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I notice the Macross DYRL uberset didn't quite make it onto this list (wonder how well it did?)

DYRL BDs are sold as PS3 discs so will be on game rankings instead of video rankings.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
I notice the Macross DYRL uberset didn't quite make it onto this list (wonder how well it did?)

DYRL BDs are sold as PS3 discs so will be on game rankings instead of video rankings.

Which is the same reason the Macross F films were never ranked along with everything else either, though they would have dominated the lists easily.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:

The Japanese as a whole aren't that full of themselves to like(especially like) things that have ethnic Japanese in them. Beauty and the Beast made the DVD list, but is not Japanese in any way. It's French in terms of setting. Same with Aladdin, which is set in an Arabian setting.

The Japanese liking something that has "Japan-ness" in it does not preclude them from liking something else that does not have it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2