• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New DVD Format from Iomega

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
For entertainment purposes - no, it's not that practical; however, for archiving purposes I can see alot of companies seeing this as being extremely useful for backing up large database.

I'm only too happy to discuss the pros and cons of various backup techniques for terabyte databases, but in another thread in a different forum on a different website Confused

Biographical note - angel_lover is an honours computer science graduate who was designing and implementing database packages for use on distributed RAID arrays 25 years ago
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I'm only too happy to discuss the pros and cons of various backup techniques for terabyte databases, but in another thread in a different forum on a different website Confused
Yup, another time another place...

Biographical note - radicaledward is a USAF computer programmer with a primary responsibility for medical information database application development.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Nice to meet you then, radicaledward Smile
red stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Its Iomega I bet it flops.

almost every media format they have released has.

Zip,Jazz, that little mini circluar drive one, couple others I can't remember the names of.

While I agree that Iomega probably won't get far on their own with this new technology, I remember when ZIP 100's were pretty popular. This was when CD burners were still pricey, and 100MB was alot of space. But ultimatly CDs won, and now ZIP cartriges look positively huge next to tiny SD cards.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
Its Iomega I bet it flops.

almost every media format they have released has.

Zip,Jazz, that little mini circluar drive one, couple others I can't remember the names of.

While I agree that Iomega probably won't get far on their own with this new technology, I remember when ZIP 100's were pretty popular. This was when CD burners were still pricey, and 100MB was alot of space. But ultimatly CDs won, and now ZIP cartriges look positively huge next to tiny SD cards.

Click of Death.

Google it.
isaacada1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
HOLOGRAPHIC DISCS NEAR CONSUMER APPS
With handheld platforms targeted
http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=10694&catID=0
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
The last thing consumers need is yet another format. From a technical point of view, there isn't really a need for something bigger than DVD for entertainment purposes. The DVD format holds plenty enough data for hours of very high quality audio, and with MPEG 4 and its successors there's easily enough capacity for blockbuster-length HDTV quality movies.

Neutral Including: all the extras, anamorphic sizing, 5.1 surround sound, alternate langauge tracks, and in HD? That may even be pushing it with a double layer disc. The industry will upgrade to blu-ray, although your average consumer may never know the difference, if the transition is done right.

Last edited by ShellBullet on Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
The last thing consumers need is yet another format. From a technical point of view, there isn't really a need for something bigger than DVD for entertainment purposes. The DVD format holds plenty enough data for hours of very high quality audio, and with MPEG 4 and its successors there's easily enough capacity for blockbuster-length HDTV quality movies.

Neutral Including, all the extras, anamorphic sizing, 5.1 surround sound, alternate langauge tracks, and in HD? That may even be pushing it with a double layer disc. The industry will upgrade to blu-ray, although your average consumer may never know the difference, if the transition is done right.

yeah but does the average movie buyer really give a crap about all that. Hell they still make induvidal full screen and wide screen dvds. Most people just want cheap movies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2