• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale Production Committee Halts N. American Simulcast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
They are new to concept of digital piracy aren't they. That or it's a clever way to get someone else to do all the work on enforcing their copyright for them
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
So are they they trying to push the blame of anime piracy onto american company's shoulders? By saying they can't stream until it's taken care of? It seems a little out there to say that somewhere in the WORLD there's illegal copies, so FUNimation has to suffer... I'm pretty disappointed. There's only so much that can be done, and it doesn't help when you're limited to the u.s.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Oh good I'm not the only confused person here. I can understand the Japanese being unhappy at the legal streams, buy why are they making Funimation take them all down/halt the simulcasts in the meantime? RAWs will still go up and, especially if the simulcast doesn't return, fans will still sub the series and fans outside of the US don't have a legal mean to watch this show in the first place. I like noitaminA shows and want to support them but if my only options are to wait for an unlikely DVD license or to watch fansubs, well, is that even really a choice?

xBTAx wrote:
So, basically... because people ripped the broadcast in Japan (assuming I have any idea how fansubbing works) and then subbed it... Funi has to take down their stream? I mean, I could understand it if the video leaked from them, but it didn't. As is, I'm wondering why Funi's been tasked with the impossible over something they had nothing to do with.

Some people just rip from CR and Funi instead of fansubbing and that seems to be why the blame is falling on them.

I know that happens for CR, but last I heard Funi's video quality wasn't always that good (though this is just what I've heard, so...). Even for CR, they usually take the subs and put them on a better quality video, which, while bad, doesn't really seem like something worth canceling the simulcast over.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Gentry wrote:
I think they might be on about the illegal copies of the "funmation stream" (so their subs etc) online but I'm not sure. I don't think they were talking about any old fansub of the show as that doesn't make sense. The RAW would have come from japan in the first place in that case.

Boy, you'd think that, wouldn't you?

But nope. We clarified with Funimation on this. They mean everything.

I can't even begin to fathom the absolute retardation of this.
labantnet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the source for the "illegal" streams and downloads, they won't stop. So why not get some revenue from the Legal sources? Sometimes Japan is extremely retarded. Oh wait, they are always retarded.
Cosplaybunny

Gotta love these companies, they really know how to shoot themselves in the foot. I can understand wanting to get rid of illegal streams/torrents of the show, but why get rid of the legal alternative?
sonickid101

well japan never "gets it" they don't understand how things work in America, that people have been ripping their shows off TV and uploading them for years, Id assume they think people are taking it off Funimations player, because apparently no one ever torrents anything until now. If Funimation explains the huge piracy problem to them, and japan suddenly gets a come to Jesus moment and realized " oh, sh*t this has been happening!?! lets stop it" but Id assume they think its all Funi's fault, which its not, and its not fair. Things are just going to be harder to stop piracy. Untill then, admittidly I like to wait when a season is over before I get into anything, so Im fine waiting for the dvds and reviews
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Gentry wrote:
I think they might be on about the illegal copies of the "funmation stream" (so their subs etc) online but I'm not sure. I don't think they were talking about any old fansub of the show as that doesn't make sense. The RAW would have come from japan in the first place in that case.

But... WHY?

How could they POSSIBLY think that would accomplish anything positive?
DerekTheRed

This is the most hilarious misunderstanding of how things work on the Internet ever. I suppose this means that since Funimation will never clean the Internet of ripped copies of Fractale, I now have to download fansubs instead.
Daemonblue

It's almost as if they were trying to find a reason to put a stop to Funi simulcasting the show. Assuming Funi had to pay for streaming rights, would they still be forced to pay even though they arent allowed to stream the shows?

And I agree with everyone else, in that this is just like Sony trying to put the genie back in the bottle after the PS3 got hacked, it isn't gonna happen.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait, wait. Uh, what?

Funimation isn't being allowed to stream Fractale because Fractale can be illegally downloaded? First, why is it Funimation's responsibility to deal with the piracy of Fractale? Shouldn't that responsibility lie with the content creators? I hardly see how it's Funimation's problem when they did nothing wrong — although, I could understand how it would be Funimation's problem if this only dealt with the piracy of Funimation's stream, but that's not the case here. Second, how does removing the only legal avenue for watching Fractale going to help with this situation? Fractale can be illegally download regardless of Funimation's stream; how does stopping the simulcast rectify anything at all!?

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Gentry wrote:

Just to make sure I understood this correctly, Japan wants Funimation to take down every illegal stream of Fractale on the internet, not just the ones that were ripped from Funimation's website?
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
We understand your frustration, but it should be directed towards the speedsub groups that created this problem.

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Gentry wrote:

Simply hitting my face with my hand cannot express how much I want to facepalm right now.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I can only scratch my head like everybody else. Trying to read between the lines, the only thing I can come up with is that the FPC isn't particularly worried about amateur fansubs, they just want Funi to be more proactive about shutting down rips of the Funi simulcast?

It really does seem like passive/aggressive BS designed to blackmail Funi into being more aggressive, not that it will actually have any effect. They just don't get it. It's like trying to strain a can of soup spilled into an ocean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 26