• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon Fantasy Novels Get TV Anime By Satelight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
What does Nate's mom from Horizon the Middle of Nowhere have to do with this?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Tkags wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:
Also, minimal ecchi only if there's gonna be any.

Good luck with that...

Err...what does Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon have to do with this?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Well it almost certainly can't be worse than SAO. So sure. Whatever.

I dunno about that. An obvious copy like this could manage to be even worse by virtue of being even more hackneyed than SAO.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
People should just get over comparing one series with another even before they have seen it.

It is not a rip-off of SAO. As a few had mentioned, the setting is not something new. SAO is just the latest which has been fairly successful. There's going to be more and more series which employ the virtual/game world as we get more and more into this form of gaming.

If virtual world settings is not your thing, then go watch the countless school settings, mecha, magical girls, etc. Maybe those are unique....oh wait, none of them are Very Happy
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Right, SAO isn't shit because its not unique, its shit because its horribly written trash.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
What SAO does have to do with this is that its gonna make it financially viable to greenlight more and more of these stuck in video game types of manga/LN due to its success... so we'll see a lot more in anime. But they've always been around in the LN and manga formats.

eaglestorm wrote:
SAO is just the latest which has been fairly successful.

Being the top selling LN of the year and one of the top 3 selling shows of the year is a bit more than "Fairly successful"
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story begins when 30,000 Japanese gamers are trapped in the fantasy online game world Elder Tale. What was once a "sword-and-sorcery world" is now the "real world."

Sigh…this again…

Look, I get that the premise is cool and all, but it's too distinctive to hold up through continued rehashes. Even if it turns out to be good, I hope producers back away from this before it gets sucked it totally dry (yes, I know, wishful thinking…).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Sigh, looks like a SAO knock-off.

Heinzendegger wrote:
I hate when this happens, something gets popular and cheap knockoffs follow, without any value.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think SAO was good, but I'm sure this particular title worth nothing, and only gets animated because of the latter's success.

Thespacemaster wrote:
Oh cmon you can tell just by reading the plotline that this is a copy of SAO sorry man SAO is the Only true Story if they had a different plotline than yeah mayby but this sounds to much like a copy

Spotlesseden wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
This "gamers trapped in virtual world" crap is new genre by now.So I wouldn't really say that it is SAO knock-off.

It's not new, SAO just make it more marketable. Like how sci-fi exploded after Star Wars, but 2001, Planet of the Apes, Solaris, and Forbidden Planet all came way before. Hell, I'm sure we can think of examples prior to Tron (1982) that are about people trapped in video game worlds.

pretty sure this is SAO knock-off.

So, right now every anime with mmorpg setting become SAO knock-off, Can you guys tell me about certain anime franchise called .hack// ??? Rolling Eyes
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
thieftheodore wrote:

So, right now every anime with mmorpg setting become SAO knock-off, Can you guys tell me about certain anime franchise called .hack// ??? Rolling Eyes

Doubt any one of those who compared it to SAO would know Very Happy

I wouldn't be surprised if these people are kinda new to the anime world (a fan for just a few years) and the only virtual/gaming world settings series they know or can think of are Accel World and SAO Razz
StormSky92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
"Trapped in a Game" has been a genre way before the SAO anime ever happened. It's just a thing now. Being a gamer, i'm all for it as long as it's done right.
Bruce91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
thieftheodore wrote:
vinamara wrote:
Sigh, looks like a SAO knock-off.

Heinzendegger wrote:
I hate when this happens, something gets popular and cheap knockoffs follow, without any value.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think SAO was good, but I'm sure this particular title worth nothing, and only gets animated because of the latter's success.

Thespacemaster wrote:
Oh cmon you can tell just by reading the plotline that this is a copy of SAO sorry man SAO is the Only true Story if they had a different plotline than yeah mayby but this sounds to much like a copy

Spotlesseden wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
This "gamers trapped in virtual world" crap is new genre by now.So I wouldn't really say that it is SAO knock-off.

It's not new, SAO just make it more marketable. Like how sci-fi exploded after Star Wars, but 2001, Planet of the Apes, Solaris, and Forbidden Planet all came way before. Hell, I'm sure we can think of examples prior to Tron (1982) that are about people trapped in video game worlds.

pretty sure this is SAO knock-off.

Will give you a better example.

The movie TRON.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Dot Hack isn't the first anime to have characters stuck in video game worlds, or have their realities warped because of video games. A little known short movie from 1991 called Exper Zenon was about a nerd getting video game characters and fighting in an competition to win. A kid show from 1988 named Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru was about a boy in a magical land reminiscent of RPGs having to fight through levels one on top of the other. Or if we're going to talk about video games becoming reality, we can discuss The Last Starfighter (1984). Point is, video games are old and fictional media about being stuck in them is nothing new.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
so his first very work was very similar to spice and wolf, while his second work is like SAO/.hack//

To be fair for as much as mayou is compared to spice and wolf they are actually very different and even function differently it seems and is paced differently with a different focus for the series overall.

Also lets face it he would write something better SAO anyway and I would enjoy seeing a better written SAO.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tkags wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:
Also, minimal ecchi only if there's gonna be any.

Good luck with that...

Err...what does Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon have to do with this?

Rolling Eyes ...The actual cover

CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
SAO is basically .hack, so no one can really be bothered by something copying SAO when it basically copies from something else.

But my issue is there are a dozen or so better light novel concepts so why is this coming out (Mahou Rettousei, Vanadalis Ou are two that come to mind) . And can we please start making anime of web comics like Girls of the Wild, Noblesse, Tower of God, and others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3