• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Could Ban Foreign Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
So China is now restraining import and not export. Hence all the money can only enter China and never leave. And sicne China virtually have no copyright law, they can just take the latest anime ideas from Japan and make their "China Version" of the same anime, and sell it to other country.

I don't know if anybody recall iQue. China's idea of duplicate GameCube, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Advance SP, and Nintendo Dual Screen. They are capable of playing Nintendo's games, but the console has nothing to do with Nintendo. Since the Japanese copyright law doesn't effect China, iQue can be legally sell a clearly illegal product.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
If this happens, expect to see a ban or major cut down of foreign movies being shown in theatres, also.
That's been a concern of mine. Although they are just planning on banning foreign cartoons (Does Sesame Street count?) on TV, this could lead to restrictions in theaters, etc. Most of the foreign cartoons shown there are anime, although they have shown Looney Toons. They'd have some spots to fill in with Chinese animation, and it'll take some time to do that. Or maybe, they just won't ban at all...

EDIT: replaced they's with they'd Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by .Sy on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aoi_Sekai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
To Joe Mello: Thnks Anime smile wow this is the 56th time sme1 has complimented my avatar.

Back to topic here's a couple of reasons why the Chinese still have a grudge, well accordin to 1 of my cousins...

He mentioned that the Japanese has done human/biologoical experiments on the Chinese prisoners they captured in World War 2 or something like that. Of course by now they've stopped. The problem is that the surviving human test subjects are tryin to gain compensation by death of the Japanese who did it to them or some other thing that I can't remember, but so far it's on a halt.

Some of remaining test subjects are goin to die some time soon this year, or the next. Predicted by sciencetists and the Japanese are holdin out till they do. True that the Chinese also performed horrible things to the Japanese they've captured but nothing like using them as human test subjects.

Also another reason that the Chinese also have a grduge against the Japanese is that they caused them the lost of the only 'Missing Link' fossil or somthing of the kind. The fossil was suppose to be sent to America so that they could examine it to see if was the true missing link. But the Japanese came in Bombing the place, and so the fossil was lost. It never arrived in America, the Japanese didn't have it and neither did the Chinese. There was a documentary on TV quite a while ago about this subject.

So these reasons could also mount up the reason of grudges they hold against Japan, but I don't know about the other countries... As for the movies being banned aswell...somehow I don't think they'll escalate to that. In ratio of foriegn films as to anime and foreign cartoons is simply low. In regarding to the point of the younger generation becoming more violent due to influences of foriegn culture...HA! As if... Look at the UK there's barely anime or cartoons here that show violence, yet we've been given quite a bad rep. It's true though, we have become more violent and disrespectful.(definately direspectful, I've had some right abuse from kids who are 6!) So literally, it isn't whats on TV that can affect people. There is the enviroment/economy they live in and how they're brought up could be a reason. Another thing to note is that, some people in China teach their kids to hate the Japanese, so you know... teaching kids to hate something at a young age ain't gonna cause violent and aggressive behaviour is it now?

Banning foreign cartoons, or cultures for that matter are really gonna give them a bad rep. If they were actually doin this to just keep their orginal culture, then yeah, i wouldn't think that they're doin anything worng too much(but as an anime fan,boo...). With all the possible reasons why they don't like Japan...It's not for their culture is it really....

I say keep it as a open import, export trade. Not only will the business be better, they've got an open mind to other things aswell, and they could increase their relations alot more with other countries. And instead of completely blocking off foriegn imports, just limit how much land they can take and whether it will benefit them in the upmost. If I mentioned anything that is historically, politically or business wise wrong please be free to correct me.

For some1 like me,who's chinese and lives in the UK I wonder if I can really say ought about political problems not within the country I'm at.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
Aoi_Sekai wrote:
He mentioned that the Japanese has done human/biologoical experiments on the Chinese prisoners they captured in World War 2 or something like that...

Just Google "Unit 731." However, in order to prevent another flame war, please do not post more about historic feuds between those two nations.

Aoi_Sekai wrote:
Also another reason that the Chinese also have a grduge against the Japanese is that they caused them the lost of the only 'Missing Link' fossil or somthing of the kind.

Fossil of Homo erectus pekinensis, aka "Peking Man," discovered in Zhoukoudian (周口店), not far from Beijing.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do have some knowledge on both issues. PM me if you want to know more (you can use Chinese if you prefer).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aoi_Sekai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
sorry about that =-_-=;

Didn't know anything about that... didn't mean anything by it.
O and another thing thnx for the info... but another thingI can't read a single character in Chinese.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Although they are just planning on banning foreign cartoons (Does Sesame Street count?) on TV,

Is Sesame Street a cartoon? As far as I remember, it is a puppet show with some cartoon segments, but most people know it as a puppet show.
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Actually, China government is just simply and plainly don't like other country. Be friend with other nations in the world and learn their technology and ideas. By the time they have successfully mimicing other nation's ideas and technology, they put a ban on other nation's supply of those products and selling their own version of the exact same product all over the world.

It has been documented in history for many years, that's what Chinese government has been doing ever since Nixon established a connection between U.S. and China.

Now they are stealing ideas from Japanese anime and make it into their own, then put a ban on other nations' stuffs. It is a normal behavior of Chinese government.

P.S. And as a respond .Sy, China is now going through all computer networks in China, and making only the ones that like to be legal. All other web sites and servers that they didn't approve will be considered as illegal, so in that way, they can "restrict" information on-line. Banning TV shows from foreign countries is just the first step.

P.S. Again. Chinese "anime" sucks, even Korean anime is better then theirs.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
In some respects, the Chinese sound like the Borg. Resistance is Futile. They assimilate others technology and make it their own.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Strangley enough, Japan has been doing almost the exact same thing for almost 150 years.

Except for maybe the "Resistance is futile" part. Definitely at least lately, it hasn't.
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
In some respects, the Chinese sound like the Borg. Resistance is Futile. They assimilate others technology and make it their own.

Ha ha ha ha..... Great analogy.

Joe Mello wrote:

Strangley enough, Japan has been doing almost the exact same thing for almost 150 years.

Except for maybe the "Resistance is futile" part. Definitely at least lately, it hasn't.

Japan would at least buy out the companies and technologies, China just simply "steal" them legally, because U.S. and Japan copyright law doesn't effect China at all.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
Nowadays they would. Back in the Meiji era, Higher-ups went all over the world and basically took the best of what they saw and applied it to Japan, and they haven't stopped doing so since. Very Happy
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Um, this may be my bias talking (as my fiance is Chinese, born in Nan Chang), but could we please stop using "the Chinese" as a blanket statement? I mean, why not just stick to "government," which is what the article was originally about in the first place? (My thanks to those who already are.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hate to say it, but countries are viewed as a by-product of what the government does. After all, a government is supposed to represent what the people want (in theory)
pt6mfi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, this just show how bias, childlish, narrow mind and dare I say it, racist the majority of the poster here are. Twisted Evil

Please read the article again: It said one government agency want to ban foreign-made cartoons from prime time television once Chinese animation reaches a certain level to help the studio. 'Prime time', get it? Chinese anime fan will still get their anime fixture even 'if' that happen. This also imply that there are many anime/cartoon fan and big market in China.

What has that got to do with WW2, relation between citizen of China and Japan, economic policies and possibly rocket science?

It seem to me that you just take whatever crap the mass media reported and twisted it in your own narrow mind and blurt it out as your interlect opinion. GET YOUR FACT STRAIGHT!
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
pt6mfi wrote:
Frankly, this just show how bias, childlish, narrow mind and dare I say it, racist the majority of the poster here are. Twisted Evil

Please read the article again: It said one government agency want to ban foreign-made cartoons from prime time television once Chinese animation reaches a certain level to help the studio. 'Prime time', get it? Chinese anime fan will still get their anime fixture even 'if' that happen. This also imply that there are many anime/cartoon fan and big market in China.

What has that got to do with WW2, relation between citizen of China and Japan, economic policies and possibly rocket science?

It seem to me that you just take whatever crap the mass media reported and twisted it in your own narrow mind and blurt it out as your interlect opinion. GET YOUR FACT STRAIGHT!

If this were going to be happening in the USA, which has a very "mature animation industry", we'd be all going nuts. WE wouldn't have posters excusing it as "protectionist" or "limiting cultural influences" We'd all be justifibly be furious. All aside, the Chinese government is one of the great strongholds of despotism and repression.

Like Rich Lowery wrote: "How do you make the government of the world's most important rising power quake in fear? You hold a few signs, pass out brochures and engage in peaceful street theater half a world away." Take the example of the Falun Gong movement, which has been brutally repressed in the past 5 years with it's members sent to prison camps or simply executed.

Tyranny lies heavily on the masses, this probably being the softes, but the roots lie much deeper. This "ban" is merely a symptom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3