• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Politically-charged Manga Suspended in Japan

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKosygin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
CNN Version of this article: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/10/14/japan.china.comic.reut/index.html

Credit as appropriate.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What's really suprising is that this was in Young Jump. I don't think I've read any YJ manga, but considering it's considered the "kid's versian" of Shonen Jump, you'd think something like that wouldn't make the cut in the first place.
mizushimo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
What's really suprising is that this was in Young Jump. I don't think I've read any YJ manga, but considering it's considered the "kid's versian" of Shonen Jump, you'd think something like that wouldn't make the cut in the first place.

"Young Jump" is the adult version of Shounen Jump, not the other way around. In Japan, they seem to use the word Young to mean people in their early twenties rather then children.

It seems strange to me that Japan is STILL denying what they did in World War II, it's not good to pretend that stuff like that never happened.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
There's another thread talking about this news here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It seems strange to me that Japan is STILL denying what they did in World War II, it's not good to pretend that stuff like that never happened.

In the same way that why Hirohito was not judged (and rather executed) unlike Hitler and Mussolini....
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

In the same way that why Hirohito was not judged (and rather executed) unlike Hitler and Mussolini....

Twaddle. Neither Hitler nor Mussolini were formally executed. Hitler took his own life, and Mussolini was hanged without a trial. No-one ever passed judgement on them - in fact, it is historically fairly rare for fallen leaders to receive a trial, fair or not. One of the few recent exceptions, Ceausescu, was tried, however haphazardly, before being shot - but that was a rarity.

As for executing the emperor, that's about the most unrealistic idea I've ever heard of. No matter what blame you might lay at the door of the late Showa emperor (and ample excuses could be given to transfer such blame to the cabinet), there is no way the Japanese people would countenance such a thing. Apart from the fact that the capitulation articles implicitly protected the emperor, the American occupation would have been severely compromised by any attempt to violate the emperor's person. The U.S. leadership weren't that foolish. Not back then, anyway.

- abunai

Last edited by abunai on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, Japan doesn't have all the free speech rights that we have. Also, mangas are something that younger children are likely to pick up, so that's probably where the anger is coming from.

Then again, I didn't read the article, so I could be wrong.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
To me, this demonstrates a disturbing lack of free speech in a theoretically "democratic" country.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, the government has a bigger involvement in their lives.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
This is all a bit ominous in light of a revisionist wave that's been building for the past few years: bringing back the Kimigayo, the revisionist history book a few years back denying Japanese WWII atrocities, and the new PM who seems to be endorsing the old imperialist agenda. However, I think the saving grace here would be the current emperor and empress, who are a very modern, intellectual couple.

Whatever the larger picture, I hope Motomiya-sensei does not end up victimized.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:45 pm Reply with quote
tropical_kit wrote:
This is all a bit ominous in light of a revisionist wave that's been building for the past few years: bringing back the Kimigayo, the revisionist history book a few years back denying Japanese WWII atrocities, and the new PM who seems to be endorsing the old imperialist agenda. However, I think the saving grace here would be the current emperor and empress, who are a very modern, intellectual couple.

An interesting parallel could be drawn with Spain, which some years ago experienced a would-be coup by reactionary militarist forces. Their balloon, however, was well and truly punctured when King Juan Carlos refused to lend his countenance to any such activities, albeit nominally carried out in his name.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
my research has shown me that the army had more to do with wwii then the government did in Japan

so this whole thing is kinda silly, guess we need a bit of rebellion here and there no exceptions. Hiding from the facts only makes for dumb people i say, inside or outside of the situation.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, I'm glad I live in America. I mean, here we even have Captain F***ing America dealing with the firebombing of Dresden and the Tuskegee Syphillus Experiment, but in Japan you can't even mention the Rape of Nanking or the oppression of the Ainu without being branded as a dangerous revisionist.

I really have no clue as to how otaku are able to picture Japan as some sort of paradise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I'd like to apologize for this overly long and political article, but there's something I want to clarify.

thecactusman17 wrote:
To me, this demonstrates a disturbing lack of free speech in a theoretically "democratic" country.

IMHO this has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Rather, it is due to U.S. intervention during the first few years after WW2.

Similar to many war-torn nations, Japan was at the edge of bankrupcy after WW2. There was no job for battered veterans, and young girls trade their body with American G.I. Communists and other left-wing movement activists didn't want to lose this precious chance, and many worker movements were held, escalading the social unrest. Realizing that Japanese need a figurehead to maintain the social stability and to prevent a possible communist revolution like Russia in 1917, General Douglas MacArthur decided to keep the Emperor in his throne while neglecting the roles of his and many other important political/military leader's in WW2. The Liberal Democratic Party (although the name sounds left-winged, it's actually more towards to the right) dominated Japanese political arena for decades thanks to U.S. backings since then. It was U.S. who kept one eye closed for LDP to teach their next generation in such way; U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) obtained priceless live human test results from Japanese Unit 731 have done on captured Chinese civilians in exchange of excluding key Unit 731 figures from Tokyo Trials as war criminals. On the contrary, German never dares to ignore or deny their responsibility during WW2, partially due to strong influence of Jewish community in U.S. politics.

To give an example for comparison, I'd like to quote (and translate) one of my favorite writer,

Quote:
There's novels in Japan today written like, '...soldiers like Tsuyoshi Noda, showed their manliness by raping Chinese girls, who began developing fondness to strong Japanese soldiers....' Let's imagine a German writer replace the name with a German one, say "Hans Schmidt," and writes ''...soldiers like Hans Schmidt, showed their manliness by raping Jewish girls, who began developing fondness to strong German soldiers....'

CAN YOU PICTURE WHAT THE CONSEQUENCE WILL BE?!?!
I can't remember the Japanese "John Doe" she used, so I replaced with the name of a war criminal.

I'd say Mossad would kill him before German police make any arrest attempt. Twisted Evil

jfrog wrote:
I really have no clue as to how otaku are able to picture Japan as some sort of paradise.

I love anime, manga, and some part of Japanese culture, just as much I love Beethoven's and even Wagner's music, but this does NOT mean I'll swallow and be assimilated by whatever they are or they have. May everyone (newbies who proclaimed "I love everything from Japan!!" in particular) take heed and bear that in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
yes yes, thank you ^^

to clairify my existence for one reason or no reason, I've always loved bits of japanese culture and I find more and more reasons to enjoy it, but I'm one to pay attention to world history in class. History is one of my best subjects.

Despite what one semi-moron spoke of 'Why do you want to learn the japanese language? Do you want to become them?' note that argument got out of hand naturally, but anyways. I had the come back 'i want to become myself'

so in the end, i take in what i like and get rid of what i don't like (sheesh i sound like naraku on his period!) I don't admit to loving everything about everything heck my other handle on other boards is itanshi ^^ nyuck nyuck (translate it if you wish to)

i need more practice *shrugs*

i want to read this! hehe anyone think it'll get liscensed?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12