• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
Yeah, this getting a dub and something like Waiting in the Summer doesnt even get a blu-ray seriously is beyond me.

This ^ IN SPADES!
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Okay, there is absolutely no way to say this without embarrassing myself, but...

...I liked this damn show. No, it's not very good. But I liked it.

Mebbers I have a bread fetish?

perhaps it's the Tony Taka character designs?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
Yeah, this getting a dub and something like Waiting in the Summer doesnt even get a blu-ray seriously is beyond me.

Some have tried to make a connection between what gets licensed for dub/BD and if it's going to solicited in other foreign markets, but there's no hard correlation. Their licensing is still arbitrarily decided, as far as we can tell. There's no way this series did better stream numbers than Ano Natsu. MAL completion numbers are 6,100 to 31,000, respectively.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow im surprised they announced this show, i watched it, it was good, not great, but good, knowing is that is getting blu-ray and a Dub makes me Happy ^^, I will buy it
Aldora07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I am VERY excited about this. I have been wanting to watch this for some time now Very Happy I might even pre-order this which is not something I do very often. The series didn't sell well, but neither did the first Shining anime yet this one got made. The games are very popular and have produced lots of merchandise, so maybe it helped produce sales of all of that.
Aldora07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
One of the worst selling shows of the last few years, which nobody liked on either side of the pacific, gets a dub? Really?

The PSP games and merchandise are VERY popular in Japan, so it may have helped boost sales of all of those. After all it is the second anime from the Shining series and the first one to my knowledge did not sell all that well either yet that did not stop this one from being made. Video sales aren't everything.
DaCain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
haven't seen this show but damn sentai sure has been licensing and dubbing a lot as of late
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Is this series as bad as the ANN ratings indicate? If so, does it have anything redeemable that might have compelled Sentai to license it and even give it the BD/Dub treatment?

No its not as bad, but then again opinions diverge and ultimately the answers to whether the show is good/bad are subjective. ANN reviews are NOT the ultimate reviews on the web, there are plenty of other sites that review anime and do it in a better way. Me telling you what I think wont change anyone's opinion, so go check out other sites or actually watch the show (maybe partially) to answer your question
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Nocturne123 wrote:

Some have tried to make a connection between what gets licensed for dub/BD and if it's going to solicited in other foreign markets, but there's no hard correlation. Their licensing is still arbitrarily decided, as far as we can tell. There's no way this series did better stream numbers than Ano Natsu. MAL completion numbers are 6,100 to 31,000, respectively.

There really is no such thing as a "hard correlation". Correlations don't equal causality, they just make it easier to predict behavior based on observations.

Our observations of Sentai's dubs are that there is not a single series that Sentai has dubbed that hasn't been released in other markets with that dub as well. They've said themselves that they don't release sub-only blurays.

So far only two releases have been released sub-only by both Sentai and the companies that released them in the UK and Australia, Waiting in the Summer and Mayo Chiki. Sentai has also gone back and dubbed series after they were picked up. So the correlation is that Sentai is far more likely to dub a series if it is picked up in other markets, and it's far more likely to release on bluray. In fact, unless they change their business practices, and/or the bluray market grows more, if a show is not dubbed, it will not received a bluray. So yes, there is a correlation, and a pretty strong one at that.

Sentai has also stated themselves, on a few occasions that they've produced dubs because there were also markets for them in other territories. Now, they're even going as far as to coauthor blurays with Region B companies like Hannabee.

Just because Sentai decides to dub a release a show on bluray doesn't mean that it will be released in other territories, but there does seem to be an increase in the likelihood of that happening. Just because Sentai acquires a show that is being released in the UK and Australia doesn't mean it will be getting dubbed, but having additional markets increases the chances of Sentai dubbing something. What we've been seeing with them is pretty much a textbook definition of a correlation.

As far as their licensing, you can say its "arbitrarily" decided, but most business choices are. The show hasn't been legally streamed outside Japan, so they really don't have those numbers to go on. However, we also don't know how much they paid to license it, so it's possible the show was cheap enough that dubbing it is relatively low risk. If UK or Australian companies have also acquired this title and haven't announced it, then their risk is even lower. Only time will tell if other companies acquire Shining Hearts, but given precedent, it's quite likely.

Once again, I need to point out that the perceived overall quality of a show like this one or Waiting in the Summer is not really indicative of their sales potential. Sentai's best selling title to date has been High School of the Dead and people love to debate the quality level of that show, or lack there of (in their opinion.)
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I guess Sentai is rolling in the dough if they licensed this *rimshot*

I guess it was a real pain to wait for it *rimshot*

I guess they were really baked when they saw it *another incredibly lame pun*

OK, I could leaven up some more bread puns but I'll stop.

As a bread pun fanatic, I salute you for your efforts, good sir. You truly are a Yeastmaster.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh god. Sentai is becoming ADV again.

Pardon me for asking but at one point did ADV become crap?
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Is this series as bad as the ANN ratings indicate?

Yes. It was executed decently but was interminably dull throughout and alternately cloyingly saccharine and totally underwhelming. The character designs were nice, though. I especially liked Xiao-mei the spunky catgirl. I could see how the show could be considered enjoyable but not good.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Is this series as bad as the ANN ratings indicate?

Yes. It was executed decently but was interminably dull throughout and alternately cloyingly saccharine and totally underwhelming. The character designs were nice, though. I especially liked Xiao-mei the spunky catgirl. I could see how the show could be considered enjoyable but not good.

This is a very helpful description. I suspected that it had nice character designs based on the Japanese box art.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
did sentai get the rights for this for $100 or something?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
I much rather would have preferred a license of Yakitate Japan.

As someone who played the video game that the anime was based on, it was awful. Completely awful. The very first big task in the game (after collecting enough of the different color hearts) is to fix the dang boat, and he never does it in the show. Hell, the game's (arguably) most popular character, Mistral, doesn't even appear. The game wasn't very good, but the anime is 10x worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3