• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
they were animated with flash.

The beach episode was animated in Flash in fact. Nobody noticed~!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the show is repulsive with all the bodily fluids being thrown around. I shudder to think what people who had issues with the drool in Mysterious Girlfriend X will think when they watch this. And yes, swear words are thrown liberally around amongst random violence to try and spice up the show. Poop jokes, violence and swearing, the lowest forms of Comedy. But here's the thing; the show is actually kind of enjoyable. It irreverently roasts cliches from many genres, mixes things up and try new ideas (no matter how zany or bizarre), uses distinctive art styles, and of course indulges in incredible animation. Was it hilarious? No, but it was worth watching.

Oh, hang on, here's what I wrote in my ANN list:

I actually kind of liked this, which actually kind of shocked me.

It isn't nearly as funny as Seitokai Yakuindomo, another recent comedy which used sex jokes, despite being way more out there in terms of pushing the envelope. A lot of the content just came across as gratuitous, especially the cursing; it's amazing that I think the humour hit (slightly) more often than it missed. The funniest scene was a suicide-bomber sexbot; freaking hilarious in context. The story - as in, an overarching plot - only showed up in the last two episodes, and even then it didn't really make sense and wasn't all that interesting. We did however get a hint of something far more substantial; the final episode had one hell of a cliffhanger, a shocking one which probably exceeds the infamous one found at the end of Code Geass' first season. But with no lead-up to it - it just happens - fans were understandably outraged. The art style was quite unusual, and got even weirder in certain episodes (like the B part of episode five). The less one dwells on the various puerile types of ghosts and magical powers the better. Ugh. As for the action, the battle in episode six probably has one of the all-time best Anime fight scenes. It was, quite simply, epic (I liked the Equilibrium homage), and superbly animated. Best ten minutes of the entire show, period. Ten of the best minutes you'll see in Anime, period. Completely over the top, but it worked.

The first episode with its poop monster was certainly a good litmus test. If you can survive that, then the semen ghosts and all the rest will be tolerable. An absolute guilty pleasure, with more of an emphasis on the guilty part. Still, I can't wait for season two.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
(Also: they REALLY couldn't have found a real black guy to voice Garterbelt? I mean, REALLY??)

there aren't any black voice actors in Texas, near funimation. they all moved to California
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
That's one of the first time I've seen a story grade of complete failure but otherwise, this series was alright for me. The story part sure isn't though but I got some entertainment out of this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen much of the show, just the first two episodes and it was enjoyable enough. I like to think of myself as numb to certian things that tend to piss off other people, but I suppose this will be a test of my tolorance to gross out humor.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

I agree. I liked the unconventional art style but the animation was really uneven. Sometimes very creative but other episodes looked like they were animated with flash.

True, but to be fair, I'm hard-pressed to think of an anime TV series that doesn't have inconsistent animation quality from episode to episode.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I just found the show to be dull. The toilet humour just becomes so frequent and expected that it loses all impact in shock value. You need to do something with it to make it funny unless your target audience is the 10 year old boy demographic.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
noigeL wrote:

I agree. I liked the unconventional art style but the animation was really uneven. Sometimes very creative but other episodes looked like they were animated with flash.

True, but to be fair, I'm hard-pressed to think of an anime TV series that doesn't have inconsistent animation quality from episode to episode.

Problem is that it got an A for animation
also could someone please tell me this twist at the end of the series that people are referring to I have ZERO wish to watch the series after I saw the ok but definitely NOT my cup of tea first episode.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Once episode 5 was attained I loved the rest of this series immensely. Many sacred cows were skewered along the way as well as a few scared ones. It's the first show I've noticed that wasn't afraid to parody an Eastern religion that many entertainment or news venues don't or won't touch for fear of, oh I don't know, a jihad in their back yard or mandatory slaying of all infidels ??

The attack of the spermatozoa or sperm guys into the battlefield of whoppee isn't new either. Go check out the Woody Allen directed flick released in 1972 titled Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask. He pokes a little fun at many of our misguided beliefs and/or mores about sexuality. No doubt some of the other themes covered in this series bordering on banality have been choreographed years ago by forgotten directors of dismal films too.

In younger years I might have felt 95% the way some of you do about parodying our mores and social values more tastefully but now, in my sunsetting years, I just look at some of these assinine outlooks or outtakes, smile, then laugh my head off. As far as I'm concerned kudos to PS & G for daring to go beyond the norm of anime mediocrity labeled as entertainment. I just wish the second season would have been created so I and 1 or 2 others could see if Brief and Panty found bliss amidst the neverending storm raining chaos and betrayal.

PS: not that it matters: I tried 4 different times to finish the anime show Bodacious Space Pirates because it was lauded and praised by many ANN Reviewers. Couldn't do it. That's how it is: different strokes for different folks.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
also could someone please tell me this twist at the end of the series that people are referring to I have ZERO wish to watch the series after I saw the ok but definitely NOT my cup of tea first episode.

I'm a little baffled that you want to know the plot twist even though you have no interest in watching the show.

spoiler[If I remember correctly, the cliffhanger is that Stocking turns out to be evil and (seemingly) kills Panty.]

bemused Bohemian wrote:
PS: not that it matters: I tried 4 different times to finish the anime show Bodacious Space Pirates because it was lauded and praised by many ANN Reviewers. Couldn't do it. That's how it is: different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, but Bodacious Space Pirates isn't actually that good, so it's no surprise you couldn't finish it.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series. Will say, due to hearing of the bad twist ending after the last episode's credits, I didn't watch it. Just fast forwarded to the dvd credits. Showed the dub to cousins who don't watch anime much and while they liked it, they still said, "Wow" to it.

Quote:
(Also: they REALLY couldn't have found a real black guy to voice Garterbelt? I mean, REALLY??)

Come to think of it, outside Beau Billingslea and GK Bowes, there aren't many black vas who work on anime series. But like the other guy above me said, I also heard that thing about not many black vas in Texas.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I love the show to death, and more than anything, I love how people find this show, this anime, this cartoon to be offensive. Not being able to enjoy the absolute brilliance of the show must suck.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hate for this show is ridiculous! After all, it can't be that bad with some really funny episodes and stupid pop-culture references. Bu-u-ut... You know, haters and stuff.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
An "F"? In a medium that brings us dozens of terrible harem shows, shlock like "Harmageddon" and "Garzey's Wing", and other stuff of that caliber? This is what constitutes an "F" to you? As a fellow critic, I understand that you're paid to give your opinion, but what standards did you base this on? Other gag anime? Masterpieces like stuff by Kon? Because "F" seems exceptionally harsh, implying that it fails on every conceivable level, which almost every other person seems to disagree with. But hey, it's your opinion, and it's your right to have it.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Unlike a lot of negative reviews, this one paid full dues to the real positive aspects of the series and gave a full explanation of why the reviewer disliked it. All I can really say is that I disagree: I thought it ranged from mildly humorous to hilarious. I loved the character interactions and physical humour. There's nothing particularly clever about a city being drowned in poop, but the "vomit episode", as the review put it, was really great. Not because of the vomit, but because it had a really good story and was so interestingly unique. Through most of the show, I found maybe a 60-40 balance between funny but nothing special and really, really great. Then there was the last episode, which was absurd and managed to convey real compelling character growth through some really stupid plot developements events: an achievement in itself. And then the ending was perfect, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5