• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun DVDs 1 and 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I watched Railgun after watching Index I and II and I have to agree that it definitely is a little different but enjoyable for me even with that slice of lifish feeling. The weaker part would be the antagonists but with the current ongoing Railgun S airing, I think this can be made up if it adapts the manga faithfully.

I thought both main Railgun antagonists were excellent, from introductions to set up and foreshadowing to execution, especially how they tie in together. spoiler[Yeah, the Antiskill special officer was the granddaughter/experiment of Kiyama's previous bad boss scientist, uniting both plots and several themes for the entire season. How is that a bad villain? As for the suddenness, reflect on the word combination "granddaughter/experiment".]. For Index season one, they're usually just introduced in one episode, defeated a couple of episodes later.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

2009:

Umineko No Naku Koru Ni

I stopped reading right there. Umineko was disastrous. I should also mention that spoiler[the game was such a troll fest once Chiru started.]

Quote:
I think I'm in the minority that prefers Index to Railgun.

From a light novel/manga perspective I agree with you. From an anime perspective I continue to disagree.

Railgun goes for something completely different then index so I try not to compare them. that I said I do prefer railgun even though I have major problems with kuroko at times episode 2 made me want to gag.
though at least it had one or two really funny jokes with uiharu and sattan.

I really hate what the dub does to kuroko. first off SISSY is the worst translation for any word I have ever seen in anime and maybe period. because not only is it incorrect, out of charcter, and nails on chalk board annoying I find it to be really sexist, yes I know the secondary definition that funimation chose it off of and I think that makes it even more sexist especially in a series that is fairly girl/Lesbian power at it's core. also the dub voice for her all I hear and look around for is conan edogawa she sounds like a boy to me not a girl in the slightest.

Also Umineko chiru is one of the best pieces of mystery fiction in existence if you thought it was a troll fest it was because you missed the entire point of the series!
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
im glad Zach Bolton didn't have Alison talk exactly like Satomi did for Kuroko. I find her slightly more tolerable in English
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
im glad Zach Bolton didn't have Alison talk exactly like Satomi did for Kuroko. I find her slightly more tolerable in English

the problem is the voice and the dialogue not her delivery
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
>people not liking Arai Satomi's Kuroko

You don't deserve to hear the voice of a goddess.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

ok, and? I'm fine with that
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

"Goddess" is not the word that I'd associate with that performance.

(And yes, I'm in the "found her voice annoying even though I first watched the series subtitled" group.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

2009:

Umineko No Naku Koru Ni

I stopped reading right there. Umineko was disastrous. I should also mention that spoiler[the game was such a troll fest once Chiru started.]

Quote:
I think I'm in the minority that prefers Index to Railgun.

From a light novel/manga perspective I agree with you. From an anime perspective I continue to disagree.

Also Umineko chiru is one of the best pieces of mystery fiction in existence if you thought it was a troll fest it was because you missed the entire point of the series!

There's a difference between good mystery fiction and deus ex mystery fiction. Umineko's visual novel was good for the first 6 episodes then the last 2 just killed it. spoiler[The logic in the first 6 arcs are quite brilliant and well executed but the final two arcs are fundamentally flawed and basically went against the "basic principles" that started the whole ordeal.

Effectively it became a battle (no pun intended) of "I can deny your perfectly constructed fact with my perfectly constructed fact that you said would dethrone my previous perfectly constructed fact." In my opinion, walking down that circular path is usually a slippery slope.]
I generally found Higurashi no Naku Koro ni better, though that game is also not without flaws in terms of some of the plot consistencies.

Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate are better mystery (science) fiction as well as to some extent Kara no Shoujo. I do admit though that the Umineko cast is a very entertaining group and within the visual novel space, good mystery fiction is scarce.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

"Goddess" is not the word that I'd associate with that performance.

(And yes, I'm in the "found her voice annoying even though I first watched the series subtitled" group.)

I find her to annoying as well at times but that is because I find kuroko to be a character who should have stayed as a supporting character I think. it's just to much a times with some of her antics. for example the least episode of railgun S I liked how resourceful she was and helped misaka and was a great friend.... and then she goes and humps misakas giant stuffed bear.... I MEAN SERIOUSLY COME ON! what am I supposed to think when I see that.... (feduce hush please) because it certainly was a lot more disturbing then funny.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I find her to annoying as well at times but that is because I find kuroko to be a character who should have stayed as a supporting character I think. it's just to much a times with some of her antics. for example the least episode of railgun S I liked how resourceful she was and helped misaka and was a great friend.... and then she goes and humps misakas giant stuffed bear.... I MEAN SERIOUSLY COME ON! what am I supposed to think when I see that.... (feduce hush please) because it certainly was a lot more disturbing then funny.

I don't see how those two traits are related?

Also Kuroko is more awesome than even the author is willing to admit.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I don't see how those two traits are related?

Also Kuroko is more awesome than even the author is willing to admit.

Well damn something I'm willing to agree with on. I loved Arai Satomi's voice acting kuroko and the overall antics she does in raildex series.

This is question to those that bought the dvd's does it include that mini beach ova/special??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I dont have a problem with competent lv 4 teleporter and judgment officer Kuroko. In fact, I wish that is how she was portrayed all time. Let me dry hump my roommate's giant teddy and pretend it's her and then maybe do the same thing to the real one later on despite the fact that she has told me over and over she isn't even remotely interested Kuroko is annoying, and should take a hike
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy with this review. As long as it was considered significantly better than Index I was going to be happy.

I love Kuroko because she's night and day (black and white). She's bonkers one moment and in complete control the next. When it comes to Misaka she can appear delusional but on the battlefield she is perceptive and keeps a cool head. She can be cunning and underhand when it comes to tricking her onne-sama, but when it comes to crime she sticks to the rules no matter what the emotional consequences. These are moments that can make her seem cold and uncaring, but she is in reality unquestionably loyal.

I got that breadth of character from the series, and that's where Railgun stands tall and far above Index.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they didn't opt for a bluray. The series isn't that new, so I can't imagine it being one of their weird licensing problems. Confused

This was a pretty good review. I wasn't very interested at first, but I may check this series out now.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Well damn something I'm willing to agree with on. I loved Arai Satomi's voice acting kuroko and the overall antics she does in raildex series.

This is question to those that bought the dvd's does it include that mini beach ova/special??

No OVAs or specials. Just the 24 tv episodes, 4 commentary tracks from the eng dubbing staff, trailers, and textless OP/EDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4