• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Questions and Altruism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Bill Watterson's feelings aside, Hayao Miyazaki can never direct Calvin and Hobbes because there's no way he can get around not having a female lead.
Shame you never researched "The Little Norse Prince" then. Wink
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't want to see Calvin and Hobbes animated. Maybe it could be done well, but more likely it would be butchered. I'm glad some things are just left alone as they were.
andivar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the person that blasted Madoka obviously hasn't watched it. The closest I can come to a description from my own view is Cthullu meets Sailor Moon.

At any rate I was a little surprised that some shows weren't mentioned from back in the good old days. I would love to see a modern revision of Thundarr the Barbarian, the world setting was interesting and all they'd have to do is get someone that could write a cohesive plot. Another would be Pirates of Dark Water, which had a good storyline and a unique world setting. Finally I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of Reboot. Liked it back in the day but would love to see what they'd be able to do with today's computing power.

I liked the idea of some of the other series that were mentioned as well and would be into seeing a modern take on MASK, Gargoyles (which was pretty good to begin with), or Silver Hawks. If the new Thundercats show is successful this fall then I'd have to say that at least the Silverhawks revamp has a chance of seeing the light of day.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
andivar wrote:
Yeah, the person that blasted Madoka obviously hasn't watched it. The closest I can come to a description from my own view is Cthullu meets Sailor Moon.

I would descripe it as Urobuchi + magical girls + spoiler[Faust]. BTW Saya no Uta is Urobuchi + magical girlfriend + Lovecraft.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Oh wow. I just clicked that link for Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Is this a sign I'm getting old? I just kinda reviled back in horror. Is this how parents who grew up on Tom and Jerry reacted when they saw their kids watching Evangelion? All these bishojo moe bait shows are starting to blur to me. It feels like I've already seen half these shows done a million times already. Is that what the anime industry has come down to? Or am I just getting that old?

PMMM is one of those things that honestly ISN'T what it looks like: it's greater than the sum of its parts.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There aren't many cartoon shows these days that are willing to deal with tough issues. Captain Planet for example, dealt with pollution problems and offered solutions on how to combat them.
Didn't they already make a Captain Planet anime, though?

RE: Female VAs playing young male roles -- Often it's just a matter of practicality. As I'm sure people know, it's hard for adult males to convincingly sound pre-pubescent. And due to child labor laws, school schedules, and the like, it's hard to get actual teenage or preteen males into the booth enough to meet production schedules and deadlines. Also, in this era of tightening budgets, studios have to go with experienced actors who can get all the reads and lip flaps right without requiring a bunch of time-wasting retakes. So that often means getting a female VA for the part. And given the choice between an adult woman who can sound young-boyish, or a guy who obviously sounds 45, I'd much rather hear the former from a young male animated character.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
The only one I can think of was Al in the first FullMetal Alchemist, where the actor was young and male. Sadly, he grew up too much for the role and can no do it for the second series. So while its possible, its easier for a woman VA to do like Zalis116 said.

Although it is funny in the case of the Arthur show for the character D.W. She is always voiced by a young male VA despite the fact they can always hire a woman VA to do her. Its like a tradition of sorts that fights the norm. Laughing
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna toss out a wild theory here Razz

SHAFT. They don't stream the shows they produce. They seem to be a bit paranoid about reverse importation as well when it comes to physical releases.

--and what was the deal with the 4Kids dub of One Piece? What voice acting demands were made by the Japanese studio? I think I missed that one...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hong Kong Phooey as an anime, now that would rock out hard. I'd have suggested Dinosaucers and Denver the Last Dinosaur as my choices. Dinosaucers and its whole sci-fi feel would be epic if remade with modern techniques. Denver would probably trump the cuteness of most magical girl shows if he was made in anime style Very Happy
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm gonna toss out a wild theory here Razz

SHAFT. They don't stream the shows they produce. They seem to be a bit paranoid about reverse importation as well when it comes to physical releases.

Shaft has a lot of physical releases in the US. Pani Poni Dash, Moonphase, Maria Holic, Vampire Bund, Mahoromatic (part Gainax), Hidamari Sketch, Negima, and a couple others.

As for the streaming bit, I don't know how much control they have over that. I think it's the bigger companies like Kadokawa, Aniplex, etc and the TV Stations that holds those rights. Not completely sure on that, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Bill Watterson's feelings aside, Hayao Miyazaki can never direct Calvin and Hobbes because there's no way he can get around not having a female lead.

doctordoom85 wrote:

enurtsol: He didn't seem to have that problem when he made his Lupin the III movie or Princess Mononoke.

The Little Norse Prince and Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro were "before his time" (i.e. before Miyazaki established himself as he is now and Studio Ghibli). Princess Mononoke's lead is San, with Ashitaka as supporting actor, co-lead at most (like Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight even though he got as much screentime as Batman).

Which female in Calvin and Hobbes would he give a lot of screentime to? Calvin's mom? Susie Derkins?! Laughing

andivar wrote:
Finally I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of Reboot. Liked it back in the day but would love to see what they'd be able to do with today's computing power.

Japanese don't do 3D well, no matter the computing power.

Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
There aren't many cartoon shows these days that are willing to deal with tough issues. Captain Planet for example, dealt with pollution problems and offered solutions on how to combat them.
Didn't they already make a Captain Planet anime, though?

How about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Oh wait, there already is! Laughing

Haterater wrote:
The only one I can think of was Al in the first FullMetal Alchemist, where the actor was young and male. Sadly, he grew up too much for the role and can no do it for the second series. So while its possible, its easier for a woman VA to do like Zalis116 said.

Although it is funny in the case of the Arthur show for the character D.W. She is always voiced by a young male VA despite the fact they can always hire a woman VA to do her. Its like a tradition of sorts that fights the norm. Laughing

IIRC, all 3 kid leads in ADV's dub of Nadia: Secret of Blue Water were voiced by actual kids.

belvadeer wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey as an anime, now that would rock out hard. I'd have suggested Dinosaucers and Denver the Last Dinosaur as my choices. Dinosaucers and its whole sci-fi feel would be epic if remade with modern techniques. Denver would probably trump the cuteness of most magical girl shows if he was made in anime style Very Happy

Dino-Riders! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

doctordoom85 wrote:

enurtsol: He didn't seem to have that problem when he made his Lupin the III movie or Princess Mononoke.

The Little Norse Prince and Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro were "before his time" (i.e. before Miyazaki established himself as he is now and Studio Ghibli). Princess Mononoke's lead is San, with Ashitaka as supporting actor, co-lead at most (like Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight even though he got as much screentime as Batman).
The Joker was an arch villain. The arch villain in Mononoke was Lady Eboshi and I have to disagre with you that Ashitaka was "supporting actor" and San was "the lead". To me it was the other way round. To not take into consideration Miyazaki's work from the start of his career before Studio Ghibli is being a bit too nitpicky and doing him a great injustice as it was those early works that got him to where he is today.
Blindheart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Pirates of Dark water needs a remake, forget all those other silly shows they talked about. 20 years later I'm still waiting to see how it ends. Would be the most epic remake EVER since the finale has yet to be written.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Just wanna say: I love Cardfight!! Vanguard.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw in my own comparision:

Madoka Magica = Sailor Moon + Buffy the Vampire Slayer - romance
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4