• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DearS DVD Mono

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote
The funny thing is, is if it was released with Japanese mono and English 2. this "news" wouldn't have been posted. Which just goes to show you that most people that claim to be anime fans don't really care about the anime.. just the idea of being a fan of some thing. The series is decent.. but like all anime should all ways be watching in it's original form -as close as possible. Anyone that claims to be a fan but yet doesn't care about the anme it self is a joke.

If you consider that english dubbs are better then the original Japanese then you [besides being a moron with no since about you] are not a anime fan - your just fans of being into some thing-collecting-talking about- You don't care about the anime you say you are a fan of.

The original japanese track should all ways be given precedence over all over versions.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
The funny thing is, is if it was released with Japanese mono and English 2. this "news" wouldn't have been posted.

Where do you make that assumption? ANN's job is to report stuff like this. I'm sure if it would be reversed this whole thing would be the same, except the second guy would suggest watching the dub instead.

Quote:
Which just goes to show you that most people that claim to be anime fans don't really care about the anime.. just the idea of being a fan of some thing. The series is decent.. but like all anime should all ways be watching in it's original form -as close as possible. Anyone that claims to be a fan but yet doesn't care about the anme it self is a joke.

How is having a dub preference instantly mean you disrespect anime? Not everyone is a purest. It's almost like saying you don't really love a film because you don't rebuy it every time they re-release just because it's "bursting with extras". Oh, he hasn't seen the new "making of", he must not really care about the film. Anyone who claims to be a fan yet descriminates against other fans for something so trivial is a joke. While I myself prefer subs, I don't look down on those that prefer dubs. There's even some that I really like. I do look down on those that slam all dubs/subs and their watchers though. What business is theirs which version you like? Just because I want the widescreen subtitled edition doesn't make me better of more a fan than the guy who has a preference for otherwise.

Quote:
If you consider that english dubbs are better then the original Japanese then you [besides being a moron with no since about you] are not a anime fan - your just fans of being into some thing-collecting-talking about- You don't care about the anime you say you are a fan of.

While you are a pompous ass. People like different things. Get over yourself. It's not you either, the same goes for those that claim, "Anime shouldn't be read." It's a choice and a preference. How on earth can you say that someone who may study the art
form, collect memorabilia, and watch all they can while discussing it with other is not a fan based solely on their language choice?

Quote:
The original japanese track should all ways be given precedence over all over versions.

That doesn't mean the dub should be treated like garbage. Rolling Eyes

I still don' see where you get the assumption that the reverse wouldn't be reported, nor see how any of this has to do with that "true fan" garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Should Geneon fix this error?

YES

If anyone wishes to contact Geneon about the mono mix *problem* in DearS Vol. 1, you can obtain their snail-mail and e-mail addresses here. When writing, please make sure you specifically address the situation (and be nice!).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
The funny thing is, is if it was released with Japanese mono and English 2. this "news" wouldn't have been posted.

That's not true. We would have posted it just the same.

Quote:
Which just goes to show you that most people that claim to be anime fans don't really care about the anime.. just the idea of being a fan of some thing. The series is decent.. but like all anime should all ways be watching in it's original form -as close as possible.

That's your opinion, it's also my preference, but lots of people feel differently. They are no less fans of anime than you or I. Although I have a preference for watching everythng in its original language, I must admit to finding some English dubs better than the original Japanese, quite simply because the English actors and director did a better job in those particular cases than the Japanese. The original is not always the best, it's just... the original.

Quote:
If you consider that english dubbs are better then the original Japanese then you [besides being a moron with no since about you] are not a anime fan

You're being a snob.

I wonder, which would you rather watch the Japanese dub of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, or the English dub of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust?

I'll be nice and give this awa now instead of waiting for you to answer and "springing the trap" on you then. The original version is the English version (The Japanese director oversaw the English recording, the Japanese dub wasn't created for another year or so, and was only created because the Japanese market had no intention of watching animation in its original language). By your logic, if you prefer the Japanese dub, you're not an anime fan. (and yes, it is anime, it was created by a renowned anime director and animated at madhouse. It was merely the creator's artistic vision that the characters should speak English).

:-p

-t
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
BeyonderZ wrote:
If you consider that english dubbs are better then the original Japanese then you [besides being a moron with no since about you] are not a anime fan

You're being a snob.

I wonder, which would you rather watch the Japanese dub of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, or the English dub of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust?

I'll be nice and give this awa now instead of waiting for you to answer and "springing the trap" on you then. The original version is the English version (The Japanese director oversaw the English recording, the Japanese dub wasn't created for another year or so, and was only created because the Japanese market had no intention of watching animation in its original language). By your logic, if you prefer the Japanese dub, you're not an anime fan. (and yes, it is anime, it was created by a renowned anime director and animated at madhouse. It was merely the creator's artistic vision that the characters should speak English).

Zing!! Haha, excellent argument point, tempest. Now to what BeyonderZ wrote... you have got a lot of nerve to tell people that they are inferior anime fans for not preferring the subtitled versions (or from your view, what YOU like). Like I said earlier in this thread, I like anime for many reasons and it just so happens that I enjoy the visual art and the story more than the voice acting. Is that okay with you? I don't care about HOW the dialogue is said, so much as about WHAT is said. And for your information I like some subs and some dubs, so what does that make me in your eyes? A middle-class anime fan? Don't be ridiculous!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I would give you this "zing" if it wasn't for the point that he used "original" in reference to the Japanese audio being used instead of English in his argument. If he lacked the "original" denotation, I would give it to you straight up, but I will give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

As per the Mono problem. Mono and Stereo differences are not that high when you are watching something on a television unit because the audio positioning is not that great. However, when you are looking into processing the audio through a receiver unit, which has a much greater sound field, the difference is monumental. Channel seperation is what defines a good sound field, which is why anime companies have been re-recording English dubs in 5.1 for several years now.

Personaly, I never watch the dubs, so this is just water off my back. But as a consumer, I am fleased, even if I don't use it, if the content is not working as advertised.
Serge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm from the UK, it's probably gonna cost me a lot/waste more time if I get it exchanged.

And Also, I'm a Purist, so it don't matter to me of course, SUB over "Lame American" DUB...Please.

If the Japanese Track was in Mono, I would exchange it over, and I wouldn't mind waiting a few weeks for a proper copy.
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
[offtopic]
tempest wrote:
Would you rather watch the Japanese dub of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, or the English dub of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust?

Eh. I've seen both, and frankly the English dub, which I saw years before the Japanese one, grated on my nerves so much I couldn't even finish it at first. Not because it was in English, not even because of the voice actors - they were actualy pretty good. But the dialogues, my dear god, the dialogues! They were horrible. Cheesy, unimaginative, and there were some times when the voice actors had unnecessarily long lines, and they had to talk too fast to be able to say everything within the given time. I don't know who wrote the script for that movie, but I hope s/he was never allowed near a script for the rest of his/her life.
[/offtopic]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
If I remember some past posts in the eternal sub vs. dub debate (was that the original topic here?), I think they said that more people in general like dubs--the point was made that the average anime fan/consumer preferred to watch in English, so for these companies, it's in their best interest to pay more attention to the dub in order to keep the consumers satisfied. Granted, I like subs better and wish some more care/creativity went into them, but I've never found a reason to hate on dubs in general. Of course, there are exceptions, like DiC Sailor Moon, or CardCaptors, but for the most part, I don't think dub producers seek to radically alter or defile the original. Now, Ghost Stories is another story Smile
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Animeondvd is reporting that Geneon is aware of the mono problems and is setting up an exchange/replacement system.

Good for them.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote
[Inoue Kikuko: "arra arra! (oh my oh my!). Hehe]

Another appearance of the classic d. vs s. debate. Shhh...!

--back on topic--
I'm glad I haven't started to collect DearS yet. Phew. This is major, I haven't Pioneer/Geneon much messing up their DVDs. Although I did order Tenchi Universe from RightStuf and found that 2 of the discs were defective! Ouch! Crying or Very sad

But I was thinking, the mononaural sound may not be noticeable by many people who use a mono speaker TV, e.g. those 14" TVs.

I actually wouldn't think it is needed to release anime in 5.1 surround sound, since not that many people have a large house and space to arrange their speakers.
I have a stereo TV and I use that to watch my DVDs.
I'm very happy with standard stereo.

Do you think that the majority of the viewers use their PCs to watch their DVDs? If so then that would mean there would be more people who have speaker surround arrangements when watching their DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
Another appearance of the classic d. vs s. debate. Shhh...!

Yeah, these seem to pop up everywhere, don't they. Can't we all just get along!!

Kusanagi-Kei wrote:

But I was thinking, the mononaural sound may not be noticeable by many people who use a mono speaker TV, e.g. those 14" TVs.

I have a decent size tv and I did watch it before I hooked up my 5.1 and I can say that I didn't really notice anything incredibly dreadful with the audio. The sound may have drowned out at some points, but never for a long enough period to be annoying or ruin the quality of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sabakyuu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I hate dub vs. sub debates. Like many people said it's a matter of preference. I can honestly say I watch dubs more often than subs, but I would never put one on a higher level than the other. I try to appreciate my own language and respect that the companies do their best to satisfy the fans and yet still man people chose to assume subs are always better than dubs Anime hyper.
Berselius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
Allow me to stick up for myself, for i am none other then the friend the pantsgoblin spoke of (yes i know shocking idnt it?). I dont always prefer dub, but most of the time i enjoy both dub and sub tracks for anime. In some cases i enjoy dub better than sub, other cases its the opposite. Im a fairly lenient guy, but one thing i am not lenient towards are people who say only japanese sountracks for anime are good (or restrictly dub, but no one makes that argument). Anyone who bashes great dubbing jobs such as Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, .Hack//Sign and declares them as horrible dubs loses an instant bajillion respect points! That hurt ya didn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2