• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live from Anime Expo 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
No, that's kind of looked down upon in Japanese culture If you've ever seen videos on NicoNico or on YouTube from Japanese people, you'll notice a lot of of them either avoid showing their face by not showing it or wearing a mask, and most of them usually don't talk. Compare an American review on YouTube about a tokusatsu toy to a Japanese review about a tokusatsu toy and you'll see a world of difference. To be blunt, 'attention whoring' is looked down upon in Japanese culture, and that's basically what those kinds of internet video reviews are. Maybe if it was aimed at strictly an American audience, but any Japanese person who's fluent enough in English and American culture to do that probably isn't the type of person you're talking about.

Yes, yes, Titan, we get it, Japan is SUGOI SUBURASHI BAKA DESU, do you ever get tired trying to play up Japan as the greatest country on this planet?

Read his quote again, Nancy. He's merely pointing out an observation of a culture difference. How was this playing up some sort of Japan superiority? Or are you trying to start some internet beef for no reason?

Guess I should pick up that Colony Drop fanzine. I've heard it mentioned by Zac and Justin in past podcasts, but I am curious to see how the anime "news" is covered in Japan and what critical thought (if any) gets placed. It seems amazing in this technical age people in Japan would just accept gloried PR announcements as news and not even ask for critical reviews of shows.

Last edited by Vapors on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The entire post is filled with Titan's dog whistles and his constant habit of acting like Japan is the greatest country on earth.

You don't think calling americans "attention whores" isn't trying to aggrandize Japan?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, yes, Titan, we get it, Japan is SUGOI SUBURASHI BAKA DESU, do you ever get tired trying to play up Japan as the greatest country on this planet?

In what remote recesses of your mind was anything in that statement construed as "Pro-Japan"? It's pointing out a culture difference in response to someone's proposition. I also don't see how BonusStage's comment has anything to do with Japan at all aside from mentioning two people who make videos about anime. You're starting to sound like some gossipy villager in Salem who exists for no reason than to incite witch hunts out of personal grudges or boredom.

Charred Knight wrote:
this becomes a problem when someone actually tries to used Spoonys reviews to discuss something

This happens for every video reviewer, not just him. This happened the other day to me in a thread about Digimon and someone cited a video retrospective about it, though since said videos were based on the edited dub while I was talking about the original Japanese version they had no real place in the discussion. People think they know all about a series or show because they saw someone talk about it on the internet despite no real proof, or rather, requirement that the person doing said video knows much about the subject to begin with.

Vapors wrote:
It seems amazing in this technical age people in Japan would just accept gloried PR announcements as news and not even ask for critical reviews of shows.

The point of a reviewer is to educate the consumer as to whether or not they are making a good purchasing decision before committing money to the product. This should be done by providing an objective summary of the features of the material in question, with as little commentary as possible. The way anime is distributed is by a model of trial-before-payment. There is no need for any sort of information on the part of the "blind buyer" because anime fans are not "blind buyers" in the first place when they have access to the show on television before they put down money for a purchase of merchandise and the blu-rays. Why put so much care into what someone else thinks, even if you agree with them 99% of the time, when you can just as easily check out the content in question yourself in the same amount of time you just spent reading their thoughts, and make up your own mind?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In what remote recesses of your mind was anything in that statement construed as "Pro-Japan"?

The whole damn thing? It was a thinly-veiled post of "GLORIOUS NIHON isn't a bunch of attention whores like those BAKA GAIJINTACHI"

Quote:
Why put so much care into what someone else thinks, even if you agree with them 99% of the time, when you can just as easily check out the content in question yourself in the same amount of time you just spent reading their thoughts, and make up your own mind?

Because some people care about discussing works instead of engaging in mindless hugboxes of "I like this show" "I like it too" "...."
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The way anime is distributed is by a model of trial-before-payment. There is no need for any sort of information on the part of the "blind buyer" because anime fans are not "blind buyers" in the first place when they have access to the show on television before they put down money for a purchase of merchandise and the blu-rays.

For TV anime maybe, but I was extensive writeups about every new hentai OVA.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac I just have to ask you what is with your hatred with steam-punk??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Zac I just have to ask you what is with your hatred with steam-punk??

I think he's speaking more for an attendee's perspective. It's been done to the point where now it's just unbearable. Add in Homestuck, and it's just... UGH
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I'll probably never be able to go to a con that has the ANNCast crew there. I would really like to some day. I have questions for some of the guests on the show that I would have loved to ask if I'd been there.

Overall, it was pretty entertaining, even if there was still some cringe-worthy moments. But, hey, it's not a live show within a few of those.

-----

And as for other things...

TitanXL Phrasing wrote:
No, that's kind of looked down upon in Japanese culture If you've ever seen videos on NicoNico or on YouTube from Japanese people, you'll notice a lot of of them either avoid showing their face by not showing it or wearing a mask, and most of them usually don't talk. Compare an American review on YouTube about a tokusatsu toy to a Japanese review about a tokusatsu toy and you'll see a world of difference. To be blunt, 'attention whoring' is looked down upon in Japanese culture, and that's basically what those kinds of internet video reviews are. Maybe if it was aimed at strictly an American audience, but any Japanese person who's fluent enough in English and American culture to do that probably isn't the type of person you're talking about.

Minor Clean Up That Makes Everything Sound Way Less Biased wrote:
No, that's kind of looked down upon in Japanese culture If you've ever seen videos on NicoNico or on YouTube from Japanese people, you'll notice a lot of of them either avoid showing their face by not showing it or wearing a mask, and most of them usually don't talk. Compare an American review on YouTube about a tokusatsu toy to a Japanese review about a tokusatsu toy and you'll see a world of difference. Maybe if it was aimed at strictly an American audience, but any Japanese person who's fluent enough in English and American culture to do that probably isn't the type of person you're talking about.

Alternative Phrasing That Gives Credence/Criticism to Both Sides wrote:
No, that's kind of looked down upon in Japanese culture If you've ever seen videos on NicoNico or on YouTube from Japanese people, you'll notice a lot of of them either avoid showing their face by not showing it or wearing a mask, and most of them usually don't talk. Compare an American review on YouTube about a tokusatsu toy to a Japanese review about a tokusatsu toy and you'll see a world of difference.

American reviews tend to be more informal and casual with many people using humor to draw in the audience. Japanese reviews, on the other hand, tend to be more formal and get right down to business. The two approaches have their pros and cons.

A more casual style comes off as more friendly and personable, keeping the review from being a dry delivery. Giving off a welcoming impression is an effective way to draw eyes and get people's attention. Showing off one's face further helps with engaging the audience by allowing the audience to see the nonverbal cues, and gives off the impression that the reviewer is being open and honest about their opinions and is inviting the audience to share their own. The humor, if done well, helps maintain a relaxed atmosphere and entertain the audience, keeping their attention on the reviewer. On the other hand, casual reviews are often perceived as less professional, and the reviewers who haven't scripted what to say and don't have experience with public speaking can have reviews littered with lots of filler words, awkward pauses, and rambling. Additionally, humor, while very effective if delivered well, can ruin a review if poorly delivered or awkward. Humor is also risky because it is very subjective and can easily alienate a part of the audience that doesn't find the humor funny. While being a good way to drawing in and engaging an audience, entertainment value can also be a reviewer's pitfall if he/she uses it as a crutch.

More formal reviews tend to appear more professional, which makes what's being said or shown likely to be taken more seriously. To those who want to get straight to business, these kinds of reviews are preferable. Reviews without voice-overs or speaking can be beneficial for certain types of reviews, such as for toys or figures, where speaking can be a distraction and showing rather than telling helps demonstrate/sell the product better. Additional, reviews without speaking helps extend beyond language barriers. On the other hand, while such reviews can garner more respect, they can also come across as dry, stiff, boring, or constrained, which may fail to engage the audience and/or gain their attention on what's being said or shown. Additionally, to those who may not understand the cultural aspects, wearing masks may be seen as a gimmick and throw the audience off making them unable to take the reviewer seriously. Wearing masks gives off the impression of keeping one's distance and keeping things impersonal, which runs the risk of turning away the audience or not keeping their attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I really wish I could have gone to this year's AX. =/
Correl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else find it a little funny that after mentioning how much the Japanese anime media is a slave to their corporate masters two shows in a row, the preview guide (actual honest opinion reviews) has been knocked off the front page by anime spotlights(paid hype by the anime companies)?

I'm not saying this to be an ass or claim that ANN is biased, I just think the timing and situation is hilarious.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Correl wrote:
Anyone else find it a little funny that after mentioning how much the Japanese anime media is a slave to their corporate masters two shows in a row, the preview guide (actual honest opinion reviews) has been knocked off the front page by anime spotlights(paid hype by the anime companies)?

Anime Spotlights are not paid, and the marquee is meant to highlight all of our "big" content.
Correl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Anime Spotlights are not paid, and the marquee is meant to highlight all of our "big" content.

How do the series that get spotlighted get decided?

Also, I see it on the main page now. Maybe I'm going crazy.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Correl wrote:

I was gone for AX, didn't realize so many spotlights would be going up over that period and reposted it when I got back.

That's pretty much it.

Also if I'm not mistaken Spotlights are "whoever we ask that can give us materials for it in time".
Correl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Correl wrote:

I was gone for AX, didn't realize so many spotlights would be going up over that period and reposted it when I got back.

That's pretty much it.

Also if I'm not mistaken Spotlights are "whoever we ask that can give us materials for it in time".

Cool. Like I said, I wasn't being mean or anything, just thought it was funny.
Chibi Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Great show! Smile It sounds like you guys had a fun time. I wish I could have been there, but it was early... I wasn't even at the con yet. Sad Anyway, this was a great way to wind down after AX. It's always an enjoyable show when Mike Toole and Hope Chapman stop by.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3