• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Flower Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It manages to be intriguing, despite largely being a very black-and-white good guys (humans) versus bad guys (the things eating humans) show, thanks in large part to this giant mystery that shrouds the Titans. Because of that, there's a secondary force that drives this series forward—sure, we all want to see the good guys prevail against the aggressors, but we also deeply want to know just what the heck is going on. Alas, we don't get any answers this season, but we do have plenty of fodder for fan speculation, which is almost good enough when it comes to shows like this where things haven't been resolved in the source material yet.

spoiler[The scene where Armin calculates Eren's location in the Titan body seemed to suggest a realization that it was also the Titans' weak spot, which in turn seemed to suggest that the Titans themselves might also be 'piloted' by humans, and can only be killed when the 'pilot' is killed (and perhaps the pilots aren't aware of what they're doing?) If that turned out to be the case, it would set up a nice contrasting revelation against Eren's vengeful personality, especially since the series revels in revelations.]

But that's just fan speculation on my part Laughing, and one thing I can definitely agree on is that the show is very compelling. I look forward to it every week, and I get a similar feeling of excitement watching the show that I got from the first time playing through "Chrono Trigger" (that's the best relatable experience I could think of anyways Very Happy).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Good to see Flowers of Evil up there as the best of season, not only because it was unique, beautiful and strange, a bold attempt to do something different in the medium, but also because it captured the spirit of teenage alienation the way no other show does.

I'd love to see it get the second season it so richly deserves, mostly as a reward to the director's vision, and partly as a huge 'UP YOURS' to the toxic otaku hivemind.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
I just reached the first summer camp episode of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, so it's a bummer to hear it's downhill after this. So far, the show has seemed just slightly better than it needed to be, but it's definitely no Toradora!.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
I stand corrected. I didn't see it on Crunchyroll so assumed that no-one was streaming it.

It is also running on Hulu but yeah legal streaming exists. Razz

Funimation usually streams their simulcasts on Hulu (and uses Hulu imbeds for free-view videos on their own site), but thus far that isn't the case with this season's new simulcasts. At the moment all that exist there for them are promotional clips.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
The Karneval manga is waaaaaaaaaaay better. That's all I have to say at this moment. May comment again later when I have time.

This is what I've saying for some time as well. They cut out a lot from the manga.

And unfortunately it's some of those parts that makes it easier for the series to be understood. ^^;

Moar Hirato please. At the event on Sunday, the "goodbye" message after the event finished was by Hirato and the last thing he said was "bye bye perona." XDDD HILARIOUS.

I'm hoping for a second season after the manga gets a bit further ahead. If there's a second season, I'm hoping they develop each character more as the development in the anime is quite lacking. I'd also like to see some lemon-headed chibi Nai. He's absolutely adorable in the manga.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Did you really dislike the new Hunter x Hunter arc so much that you didn't even write about it despite writing for Space Brothers?

Disappointing.

She dropped Hunter x Hunter a long, long time ago. Space Brothers she is just "spacing out" her writing about it instead of covering it in every Stream column.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
^
She's still watching Hunter x Hunter, just not writing about it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, last I heard is that she didn't want to keep saying the same things every column, which is understandable. But she hasn't said a peep about it ever since the middle of Yorkshin if I recall correctly. And a lot has happened in that time. I'd be understanding if she did in fact drop it. Chimera Ant may have been far too brutal and sinister. But at the very least I'd like a paragraph about it like she has had for every other show that she has dropped.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Exactly, last I heard is that she didn't want to keep saying the same things every column, which is understandable. But she hasn't said a peep about it ever since the middle of Yorkshin if I recall correctly. And a lot has happened in that time. I'd be understanding if she did in fact drop it. Chimera Ant may have been far too brutal and sinister. But at the very least I'd like a paragraph about it like she has had for every other show that she has dropped.

Agreed, HxH has had plenty going on worth writing about, for better or for worse (mostly for better). The tone shifts are definitely noteworthy.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil ep 1 told me to £"*( off and I obliged. Everything else was fairly spot on ranking wise.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Agreed, HxH has had plenty going on worth writing about, for better or for worse (mostly for better). The tone shifts are definitely noteworthy.

Okay, next time.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't let another Stream go by without commenting on Space Brothers. The core characters and story are good, but there are elements that often make the show difficult to watch:

Side characters - A bunch of them are unbearable. Apo, with the googly eyes and jerky movements, is creepy. Space Director Nasuda is supposed to be either smart or funny, but is annoying. Jennifer's shtick wears on you fast. Mom, rejected candidates, Pico... lots of misses IMO.
Music - Same starting background music EVERY time (ba-bum-BAAA, ba-bum-ba-bum-ba-BAAAAA) over and over and over. The opening and ending songs are usually poor, nothing like the openings/closings of Gintama or Sket Dance.
Pacing - Most arcs take waayy too long. Things got suspenseful around episode 39, but the moon rescue arc took abut 5 episodes to play out? You knew what was going to happen, get on with it please!

I'm sticking with it but no way it's top 3.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Bamboo and I clearly have different taste in anime.
And I don't understand how people love Chihayafuru unless you understand the game. It is a tournament anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
^
Still butthurt over Chihayafuru being good, huh.

And you don't need to know much about karuta to actually enjoy the show. Like most Sports shows, it isn't actually about the sport, it's about the people who play the sport.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Bamboo and I clearly have different taste in anime.
And I don't understand how people love Chihayafuru unless you understand the game. It is a tournament anime.

the game isn't really that hard to understand
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3