• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop Artists Comment on Rights to Their Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Well I liked Ikkitousen

Ikkitousen is just a rip-off of Tenjou Tenge.

Ikkitousen traced panels from Tenjou.
http://mangatranslation.com/cgi-bin/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=2000

Supposedly ripped off. Since the links are dead I can't see them for myself. Even if it is a rip off I still enjoyed the series and hope that someone does pick it up and release it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Chuck Austen gets Boys of Summer back, so that he can publish the last two volumes in a dead tree edition—but I won't hold my breath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_of_Summer_(comics)

As for the costs of localizing manga, see here and here for production costs of manga localization in North America (in 2002), and (NSFW) this post from Simon Jones and this one about Icarus Publishing's costs. Note that Japanese-English translation costs have apparently plummeted as fans have gotten into the business (since they charge much less per page (or whatever the unit is) than a professional translator).

An aside: ComiPress' article "On the Cost of Producing Manga" [in Japan]; (NSFW) Simon Jones' comments on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2