• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD Box Set 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
even with quite poor big-scale concept, Bleach offers uniquely sharp, probably the most graceful graphics ever
Shocked I'm sorry, but to that, I have to say: Hell. NO. Not even close. Not even close to being close.

Maybe he's talking about the movies. I haven't seen anything past the first or second, so I'll hold my tongue on that one; also because I barely remember any of it.

But if it's the TV series, then no, not even close lol. Not sure what their budget is like, but on a weekly basis I doubt they'd keep a high budget even if they had the time. Regardless of the visuals, Bleach wouldn't be anymore popular, and I'm quite sure the producers know that fact damn well.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
sorry, i maybe did not put my thought into words well... i meant that mangaka's conceptual art for characters (obviously not of ichigo and rukia; many others) is indeed one of the most graceful ever... i did not mean animation, not even in movies...
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised by episode 141 as well, not just because of how well-done it was but because by that point it seemed the boy and girl characters all had asexual feelings toward each other. That's not a criticism--it's a most refreshing change in pace to have a cast of guys and girls grouped and working together without intimate feelings complicating everything. After a while, anyone would've thought something would've started happening between Ichigo and Rukia, but as of yet they are still maintaining a professional non-suggestive comraderie and that's good enough for me. So episode 141 did in fact come as a surprise, so much so that it stuck with me long after viewing it.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
I have now seen up through episode 203, and there's no question in my mind that episode 141 is the single best episode of the series' first two centuries. I fully agree that it's a shame that it requires muddling through so much substandard content to get through, but bright spots like that episode are what keep me trudging along though the series.

From how much I've seen(up to the end of The Rescue arc; ep 63), my favorite moments was when Ichigo appears and simply lays waste to that executioner Zanpakto, makes (real)short work of the lieutenants, "gently tosses" Rukia to Renji, and starts...
...my second favorite part, Ichigo vs. Byakuya. Great, if a bit simple, ideological fight, and wonderfully choreographed fighting and honorable character decisions(when I later watched Yu Yu Hakusho, the gentlemanly head-to-head point of Toguro and Yusuke brought me back here).

Where does ep 141 stand with that Key?

Yep i don't think there is a doubt in my mind that that is the single best episode of the entire series, it just shows how bad ass ichigo is.

But with that said
spoiler[The entire buildup of the aizen storyline is totally fucked over by kubo with the ending fight, and the arc after that is even more fucked.]

egoist wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
even with quite poor big-scale concept, Bleach offers uniquely sharp, probably the most graceful graphics ever
Shocked I'm sorry, but to that, I have to say: Hell. NO. Not even close. Not even close to being close.

Maybe he's talking about the movies. I haven't seen anything past the first or second, so I'll hold my tongue on that one; also because I barely remember any of it.

But if it's the TV series, then no, not even close lol. Not sure what their budget is like, but on a weekly basis I doubt they'd keep a high budget even if they had the time. Regardless of the visuals, Bleach wouldn't be anymore popular, and I'm quite sure the producers know that fact damn well.

I'm actually surprised at how well bleach is made, i don't think I've ever seen a drop in quality from them, but if you look at Naruto holy crap i mean they fudge up the biggest moments in the series and make better quality episodes for fillers.

Naruto vs sasuke in the first series
And Naruto vs pain? Biggest animated joke I've ever seen, the people who made that should never be allowed to work on anime ever again.
braves

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

I'm actually surprised at how well bleach is made, i don't think I've ever seen a drop in quality from them
Oh boy.
Tylerr wrote:

, but if you look at Naruto holy crap i mean they fudge up the biggest moments in the series and make better quality episodes for fillers.

And Naruto vs pain? Biggest animated joke I've ever seen, the people who made that should never be allowed to work on anime ever again.
Comments like this usually come people who don't know anything about animation. Same people who say ep. 4 of Gurren Lagann was crap, or take a screenshot of episode 30 of Naruto to show how "poorly drawn" it is, or think the first half of episode 7 of Samurai 7 is proof incarnate of Gonzo's incompetence. True story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The utter pointlessness of what the events of episode 141 in the larger picture of the story diminished what emotional impact it had for me. While it may be one of the high points for Bleach, that isn't really that impressive a piece of praise.

As for the praise for the atmosphere of Hueco Mundo, I've found that it's more just a conveniently simple (and dull) backdrop, since Kubo Tite has little interest in anything other than character design.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Comments like this usually come people who don't know anything about animation. Same people who say ep. 4 of Gurren Lagann was crap

But...it was crap. I mean well, it certainly wasn't very good compared to the rest of the series, and I don't know anyone who would say otherwise.

With regards to Bleach though, I also agree that with regards to animation the show is no masterpiece. I will say that certain individual episodes of Bleach are amazingly well done, and some of the episodes like that are even included in this set. But as a whole that really only happens like, 30% percent of the time. The other 70% of the episodes' animation quality ranges from pretty good to...just sad.

Content-wise, I more or less only watch Bleach for the fights now. It's just a nice show to grab some popcorn for, sit back, and watch the gore (or lack thereof because of the editing). I admit that episode 141 was great for what it did. But that instance is certainly not the norm for this show, and because of that I find myself less interested in the characters themselves. And therefore because of that I probably wasn't as drawn into episode 141's story as I would have been otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
braves wrote:
Comments like this usually come people who don't know anything about animation. Same people who say ep. 4 of Gurren Lagann was crap

But...it was crap. I mean well, it certainly wasn't very good compared to the rest of the series, and I don't know anyone who would say otherwise.
Then I guess you don't know anybody who... Oh, whatever. Not going to get very far by doing launching insults. There's a legitimate conversation to be had on the disconnect on what more ambitious animators want to do and what the audience who's generally ignorant about animation (or they just don't care to learn about it) is expecting. Given that this has been happening for a very long time (the Akiyuki Shinbo/Atsushi Wakabayashi Yu Yu Hakusho episodes, anyone?), the disconnect isn't going to be bridged anytime. But those who actually care about animation beyond the usual "stay on-model, stay fluid" mentality will continue to enjoy and criticize these more ambitious endeavors appropriately. More appropriately than the usual fan (and professional!) response that these works get. I guess I snuck in one more before I was done?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

I'm actually surprised at how well bleach is made, i don't think I've ever seen a drop in quality from them
Oh boy.

Oh boy x2. I don't know much about animation but I'd never say Bleach is well made. Maybe the movies and a few exceptional episodes yes.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
braves wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Oh boy.

Oh boy x2. I don't know much about animation but I'd never say Bleach is well made. Maybe the movies and a few exceptional episodes yes.
I third that Oh boy. On average, the series is far from well made.

braves wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Comments like this come people who don't know anything about animation.
Couldn't agree more. Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
As far as Bleach Ep 141 goes, I'm going to have to come clean and say that I don't like Orihime. Most of the time I find her personality annoying rather than endearing. Though I will admit that she's somewhat more useful to have around than Chad (whose overall role in the series is frankly a mystery to me).

But with all that said, I admit that the episode was very well done. Even if I don't particularly like her, I could still sympathize with her plight. Even so, I thought Ichigo's rescue of Rukia at the execution stand was better, nor would the episode appear anywhere in my Top 20 individual episodes of all time. But to each their own, eh?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, since everyone seems to be talking about episode 141, I'll jump in myself. Bleach is something of a guilty pleasure of mine, because I enjoy the series way more than I should given its very erratic quality. Aside from a handful of really bad filler episodes, there hasn't been any Bleach episodes that I haven't enjoyed at least a little.

But even despite that, I'm not sure I'd rank episode 141 as one of my top 20 anime episodes. I think the reason why is that in my mind, I have a hard time completely separating an episode from those that come before and after it.

Consider this hypothetically example. Take an anime episode that is emotional, any episode from any series, and then change the episodes both before and after it drastically. Depending on how those surrounding episodes are altered, the buildup and and follow-through of the emotional scene will be different. Even though the actual emotional episode itself will not change at all, the impact it has will vary greatly.

And that's the issue for me with episode 141. Maybe the episode really is that good, but if so, it's impact is dulled by the series it is in. That said, I still love it, and Bleach as a whole.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what happens afterwards, what makes episode 141 unforgettable for me is when Orihime says spoiler["I'd still fall in love with the same person".] With one single line, she turned me into a shipper. Damn.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Then I guess you don't know anybody who... Oh, whatever. Not going to get very far by doing launching insults. There's a legitimate conversation to be had on the disconnect on what more ambitious animators want to do and what the audience who's generally ignorant about animation (or they just don't care to learn about it) is expecting. Given that this has been happening for a very long time (the Akiyuki Shinbo/Atsushi Wakabayashi Yu Yu Hakusho episodes, anyone?), the disconnect isn't going to be bridged anytime. But those who actually care about animation beyond the usual "stay on-model, stay fluid" mentality will continue to enjoy and criticize these more ambitious endeavors appropriately. More appropriately than the usual fan (and professional!) response that these works get. I guess I snuck in one more before I was done?

Well yes, I am afraid that I'd much prefer consistency in my anime, but I guess I do understand what you are trying to say now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately you have to navigate a disc's worth of tedious filler to get at it.

Well not quite. Sure the early fillers aren't good and that ep with Kon i can agree with,but it had it moments especially with that bakery eps where Hanatro who was a main role in the Soul Society Invasion Arc ( ep 26 - ep 42 ) who's now a filler here uses his own sword and kinda usefull too unlike the powers for Ruchiro's bodyguards for the Amagi arc.

Also the Hueco Mundo Coup Arc was also interesting as well. And these fillers are actually nothing compared to the over 100 filler from Naruto.

Quote:
And then Aizen makes his move. Or more accurately, his move is revealed. It unfortunately cuts the fights short, leaving them inconclusive and unsatisfying (though still more satisfying than the throwaway filler fights and excuses for emo agonizing of the past few sets), but it definitely has its compensations. For the sake of those who haven't seen these episodes already (both...no, all three of you), I won't say what it is.

Kinda doubt that. I'm absolutely sure everyone have watched it on Adult Swim by now UNLESS they are those english dubs haters and those that bhave been brainwashed by the fansubs.

Speaking of Which, i have to say thanks to ep 141 and the short coup arc it have not been this solid since the Beginning of the series. My grade is an A- at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3