• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excel Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Pedro! haha, I can't tell you how much I laughed over his whole "saga." I can even play his theme song on the guitar (though it's not hard, I'm not that good, haha). Excel saga is my favorite comedy anime. Nothing stands up against it.
gen hex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the first episode I went on to Amazon and bought the first two discs. Absolutely amazing show! I thought... Until I got to disc 4... Confused

A real let down. The whole Paedo Scientist thing made me cringe, is this funny in Japan? The fact that he steals kids from their parents (from a helicopter) makes me wonder- what the hell does he intend to do? I realise it's some parody of the whole lolicon scene in Anime. Too much like comedy from paedophilia to me.

I've watched upto episode 17 and I'm kind of hoping it returns to the Anime I loved at the start (excluding episode 26).
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well since its here. Hooray for Excel Saga! Love the anime and the manga. Watched up to episode 13 and then forget, and currently own up to volume 15 after 7 and 8 turned up. My first comedy manga, and the first none Ghibli anime i brought
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I was actually going to make a thread on this right now and I see I have my work done for me. I love this series^^ Im almost done, but the thing that disappoints me most is the spoiler[voice change] in excel. Does anyone happen to know why they did that?? Im just wondering.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Does anyone happen to know why they did that?? Im just wondering.

Yes:

ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
During the English production of Excel Saga volume 4, Jessica Calvello damaged her vocal chords. Starting at episode 14, she was replaced by Larissa Wolcott as the voice of Excel.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks PantsGoblin^^ I thought I check the encyclopedia,but then again I'm not very good at reading things over thourally, and I can't spell that word.
Dracoowl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yea the episodes of Excel Sage are definitely funny. I laughed soo hard on the part when Ilpolosso (dont know how to spell it sorry!) was playing on the game when he came to the choices of : hit excel , do nothing or kill her. But the last episode drove me crazy ( yes it did go kinda too far) Shocked . From the switching souls of Excel and Saga to the hotel room =_= ...ARGHHH THE STUPIDITY of the blue haired neighbour guy whatever his name is! He wanted sex from Saga and all he can do is bend his ass up and down ?!!?!?!? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
The entire Pedro-saga which at the end turns into a giant DBZ parody is my favorite aspect of the series (Nabe-habe-ha!).

Pedro's "NOOOOOOOOOOO"'s always make me laugh. And while I normally HATE clip/flashback episodes, the ones in EXCEL SAGA were actually very good, especially Pedro's "movie".
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This show is the ultimate epitomy of comedy/parody anime. It totally takes things and is able to mess them up in a funny and still come back with new ideas to keep your sides bursting. I couldn't understand why Nabeshin would keep coming up, but I found out towards the end why. And Pedro was one of the funnier characters in the series, spoiler[too bad he doesn't come up in the manga.]
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I've just seen one episode, but it was enough for me to think it was nuts. Poor Menchi, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
Its definatly not for everyone, the humour is definatly very........well.........um..
haha how do u describe that sorta humour anyway?!

im just gona say stupid Razz

anyway i got the entire series, i like it alot, just the fact that it dishes out insults to anime and the japanamation culture in general.
anything that can have a good laugh at it self in my books is cool! Very Happy

oh and i never noticed excels change in voice?! Confused
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished Nerima Daikon Brothers I will have to say that I found the humor in Excel way funnier, You never knew what sort of plot structure Excel would take, or even who the episode will focus on. Nerima on the other hand seemed way to repetitive, and the last two were the only episodes that I really liked. I watched both in Japanese since I heard that ADV took a few liberties (a good thing) in the translation. Being a Mitsuishi Kotono fan and able to appreciate Japanese puns I had to go with the Japanese. Wasn't there a stretch of Sailor Moon episodes where Kotono got really sick and they had to find a replacement voice actress?
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
i crack up at the random parts where theres swearing!

so funny when excel pops her head out of the snow and goes " uhh hyat?.....where the fuk are we?"

Laughing good stuff!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2