• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sugar High

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Madness I say:D Not that I don't like Mr. Vengeance; I think it's an exellent film, but not without flaws...

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you simply have no taste, sir. That's all there is to it. Wink

Seriously though, I know where you're coming from and I agree Mr. Vengeance has its share flaws, but I felt it packed more of a punch on an emotional level without any of the over-the-top sensationalism of Oldboy (one guy beating up 20 other guys with guns? Yeah, not even suspension of disbelief could keep me from rolling my eyes in that scene). Sure, craft was better, but what does it matter if I don't feel like I'm watching real people? It's like comparing Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs to Kill Bill; the latter was obviously better directed and more refined, but it lost that raw, realistic quality in Dogs. But I own both Park films, and watch them equally as often (I'm a sucker for Oldboy's ending).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lyrai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
I bought Q-Ko-chan based soley on the fact that Ueda had done it. Story seems sort of like....well, like Ueda was thinking about one line of thought, but then thought "OH! And this happens to" and then jumped to that little thread...it's like a severe case of not completing a thought. That's how I got it, anyway.

Also, looking at Tokyopop, the second thing that caught my eye after the horrid design was Star Trek: The manga

<Tokyopop> are we at the bottom of the barrel yet?
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
That OE manga at the end looks pretty interesting.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
<Tokyopop> are we at the bottom of the barrel yet?

<AntarcticPress> Not as long as *we* continue to publish the works of one Eirik Blackwolf.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'll probably eventually buy the Cossette manga, but something tells me that the type of story it is simply works better with movement and sound. Even if the manga artist can capture the feel and mood of the story, I can't imagine the nightmarish worlds Cossette throws Eiri into having nearly the same impact without all of the flowing blood and haunting Kajiura music. (Can you tell I'm a big fan of the OAV?)

And the story itself, at least as far as the OAV goes, is actually quite straightforward, though maybe not as clear as it could be for first time viewers. It doesn't spoonfeed you and one or two minor points might be missed if you're not paying attention, but by the end of your first viewing, you should be pretty clear on most of what happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
I bought Q-Ko-chan based soley on the fact that Ueda had done it. Story seems sort of like....well, like Ueda was thinking about one line of thought, but then thought "OH! And this happens to" and then jumped to that little thread...it's like a severe case of not completing a thought. That's how I got it, anyway.

That's exactly how I took this manga also. It's so jumpy to me.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, craft was better, but what does it matter if I don't feel like I'm watching real people? It's like comparing Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs to Kill Bill; the latter was obviously better directed and more refined, but it lost that raw, realistic quality in Dogs. But I own both Park films, and watch them equally as often (I'm a sucker for Oldboy's ending).

Daesu came across as an equally developed character as anyone in Sympathy, and I felt just as much emotional attachment to him and Midoh; the sensationalism did nothing to dampen that, and the infamous fight scenes was not only suprisingly realistic, but also conveyed his rage well. Overall Oldboy just had more substance to it to match the style.
I would hesitate to use a Tarentino comparison though. Park still has yet to escape the shadow of being labled as the "Asian Tarentino" by some misguided critics because of a few stylish scenes in Oldboy and some black humor here and there, despite having little else in common. Reservoir Dogs has plenty of grit, but it had it's own problems and never really escaped the fantasy, tough-guy setting Tarentino obsessed with in that phase of his career, not to mention the storytelling didn't work as well as it did in Pulp Fiction. RD really had no emotional impact on me, unlike Sympathy and Kill Bill (the second part). My rather unpopular take on the movie could come from making an unconsious comparison with City of Fire though.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
My rather unpopular take on the movie could come from making an unconsious comparison with City of Fire though.

You know, this isn't the first time I've heard that. I really have to see City on Fire now to see for myself all these comparisons people are making. Thank you for reminding me about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
My rather unpopular take on the movie could come from making an unconsious comparison with City of Fire though.

You know, this isn't the first time I've heard that. I really have to see City on Fire now to see for myself all these comparisons people are making. Thank you for reminding me about it.

It's a very solid film, though probobly not one of CYF's best. I heard that Tarentino denied it for a while (I've heard conflicting reports on the subject), but there's no doubt that he got most of the plot and characters from CoF and just rearranged the order of the film.
Where's the avatar from BTW? Looks like 4℃ to me, and knowing you...
JackBassV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The TP sites not that bad, though nothing on the uk site is set up yet, just blank pages.

Just try looking at the Tanoshimi site (www.tanoshimi.tv), the Uk distributer of Del Ray manga, then tell me that the TP one is bad<_<

Q-ko is interesting... I'm getting Vol 2, just to see if it's worth continuing with. FLCL was good, this - not so sure.

The other manga reviewed held no interest for me.

JBV^_^
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
Just try looking at the Tanoshimi site (www.tanoshimi.tv), the Uk distributer of Del Ray manga, then tell me that the TP one is bad<_<

o_o; Uh.. the TP site is bad. I checked out that tanoshimi site and, other than those mascot characters being kind of lame and ugly, the site is pretty clean and easy to navigate. I found their catalogue and previews really easily. Whereas, the TP site is an absolute mess of clutter and words.. I just revisited it and realized that none of the top or side links that say "manga" will lead you to their actual catalogue of manga, it brings you all this weird fan-submitted crap and articles. Where the hell IS the regular stuff..? Oh I just found it. Gah.. bad site...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
JackBassV wrote:

o_o; Uh.. the TP site is bad. I checked out that tanoshimi site and, other than those mascot characters being kind of lame and ugly, the site is pretty clean and easy to navigate. I found their catalogue and previews really easily. Whereas, the TP site is an absolute mess of clutter and words.. I just revisited it and realized that none of the top or side links that say "manga" will lead you to their actual catalogue of manga, it brings you all this weird fan-submitted crap and articles. Where the hell IS the regular stuff..? Oh I just found it. Gah.. bad site...

Yes ... the TP site is bad.

I have this overwhelming sense of fear that one day I'm going to click on one of their mystical, nonsensically-labeled navigation buttons and a giant boulder will suddenly start rolling down the corridor after me.

(oh yeah, JEHOVAH is spelled with an "I" in Latin)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I just revisited it and realized that none of the top or side links that say "manga" will lead you to their actual catalogue of manga.

Yeah, Tokyopop's trying to create a portal site. Basicly they want to be the Yahoo! of anime.

Try visiting this page: http://www.tokyopop.com/manga/

You'd expect that to be their manga section, but... Anime smallmouth;

Anyways, I think their new project is fine and all, but they've I don't think hiding their own products from view is all that good an idea. In fact, I think it's downright bad business sense.

-t
candeh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Yeah, their manga section is pretty disappointing since it's full of terrible user-submitted manga. Good thing all of this great work is up, or I would have never experienced the work of art that is FoxBoy. Rolling Eyes Way to lead the manga revolution, guys!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Jadress wrote:
I just revisited it and realized that none of the top or side links that say "manga" will lead you to their actual catalogue of manga.

Yeah, Tokyopop's trying to create a portal site. Basicly they want to be the Yahoo! of anime.

Try visiting this page: http://www.tokyopop.com/manga/

Anyways, I think their new project is fine and all, but they've I don't think hiding their own products from view is all that good an idea. In fact, I think it's downright bad business sense.

-t

I don't like their new site. I think it is stupid an confusing. But it's not that hard to find the actual manga list. It's right under the member login on the right. There is a small box labeled "Buy/Read Manga" with only two items and "Manga" is one of them. That's what you are looking for.

Here is the link: http://www.tokyopop.com/manga.php

But I'm still waiting for the final volume (15) of Vampire Game. Volume 14 came out in March and they don't even have a date set for the final volume
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3