• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX PS3 Game Coming in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, how about fixing the original problems the series has (that has never been addressed) than giving us more HD remakes of the same games. The games are not that old, they didn't have to have HD remakes of them to play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really care for KH2, but I'm excited to play BBS
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Ugh, how about fixing the original problems the series has (that has never been addressed) than giving us more HD remakes of the same games. The games are not that old, they didn't have to have HD remakes of them to play.

You didn't address what those problems were, and HD remakes are a fine idea for those who want to catch up on the series on their current consoles or for those who missed them the first time around.
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
no shock there we all knew it was coming
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Don't see the point in adding Re:Coded since it was only worth for the gameplay. The story was really weird and pointless
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Would be great if it includes dual audio, which i see no reason for not including in the game like the previous 1.5 one ?

1. Does it really matter? 2. Why would a Disney game have dual audio? Who from North America would actually wanna listen to their beloved Disney characters in Japanese? Even if DA did matter, it would be something along the lines of Japanese for Square characters and English for Disney characters.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Don't see the point in adding Re:Coded since it was only worth for the gameplay. The story was really weird and pointless

Then that makes the game worth playing. Why wouldn't a gameplay(hint, it's rather obvious) be the focus? Because it's a "role playing" game or something? Well, the "role playing" part is a reference to the CHARACTERS you control, not if the game should be story driven or not. Examples being Fairy, Mage. Magician, Elf, Dwarf, Human, etc, etc. If you're not playing a game for gameplay/the game, you shouldn't be playing games at all. We have movies, animation and books for stuff like "stories." Keep your shit out of this medium.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I really care about the HD remasters themselves (however, at least, unlike Nintendo they don't call them remakes and charge $50 for one), but considering that KH HD 1.5 ReMIX had a fully redone OST, I'm hyped for that happening here as well, because KHII and BBS have my favorite soundtracks from the series so far.
se37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
se37 wrote:

You didn't address what those problems were, and HD remakes are a fine idea for those who want to catch up on the series on their current consoles or for those who missed them the first time around.

Yeah, I had a couple of paragraphs going on to the problems before my computer froze so I'll just quickly list them.

- The battle system is button mashing in which magic has no real use other than Cure. This includes the Dream Drop Distance when you had the grinding rails trick. Mash buttons, heal, time button, heal, repeat.

- The game has gotten away from its roots. Disney. The original game was cool in which you had Disney villains in different Disney worlds causing problems with a few original character to mix it up. The original Final Fantasy characters in the game were more/less cameos to move the plot along. However, that has been reversed. Disney takes a back seat to the original characters. The only thing is we visit Disney Worlds. I use to run a Kingdom Hearts website when Kingdom Hearts II came out but I got away from Final Fantasy and focused more on the Disney movies and how they related to Kingdom Hearts. The number one message I kept getting was "Get rid of Disney movies and tell us about Final Fantasy games."

- Plus the worlds, good god would it kill them to put some additional NPC characters to make the worlds feel a bit more alive? Cinderella ball had 6 people in it, man the Kingdom must really suck for only 4 people to show up to a ball. This is something that I've had a real fit with ever since Kingdom Hearts II. The worlds are bigger yet much more empty. Couple of worlds make sense for them to be empty (and it is even talked about in the first game as to the reason the world is empty).

With HD remakes. While I understand about wanting to get new fans into the game series, it seems all we get now a days is HD remakes of older games. God of War, The Wind Waker, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy X, etc. I don't recall this many remakes after so little time passed between each game with the exception of Square.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I was fine with 2 being more focused on the KH cast since the story in 1 was kinda lackluster IMHO. If anything, I thought the development of a lot of Organization XIII in KH2 came a bit late in the game and too much time in the game prior was spent on the Disney antagonists (didn't mind as much for ones that weren't in KH1, and Maleficent is kinda a "universe villain" in KH so she always play a role, but re-using one like the Nightmare before Christmas antagonist did kinda irk me). Most Disney villains work great for the movie they're in but don't work as an antagonist for the scope of the KH games. I mean, imagine the writers trying to make Gaston or Cruella de Vil one of the main threats of a KH game, it would just come off as laughable.

Also in a world where backwards compatibility is dying unless you're Nintendo I fully welcome HD remakes. Since I've procrastinated in getting a backup PS2 I worry how long mine will last (I did get this one in 2009 though, hopefully it wouldn't die anytime soon). Having some of my favorite games for a more recent console gives me an ease of mind that I'll be able to play them for that much longer.

Also HD remakes are hardly the only ones we get of these series. The 3DS Zelda is coming out this year and the Wii U one is in production. Metal Gear Rising came out this year and 5 is on the way. Final Fantasy XV is coming soon (and XIII-3 for those who care). There are new installments of these series coming along with the HD versions of past titles.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
I knew it!!

Take my money, Nomura, TAKE IT ALL!!!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
I couldn't care less about the KH story, but BBS is a fun game. Maybe the best playing of the Playstation KH games. Will be picking it up just for that. KH2 is fun for flashy stupidity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
That being said, I haven't watched the trailer yet, but is it a) confirmed that it's re:coded and not coded? Reports I've seen from twitter friends watching the event live say coded, and b) confirmed that it's just cutscenes? Again, friends were left with that as questions.

Yes, and yes. The trailer shows "re:coded" and "cutscenes" in the title of that part of the game.

Quote:
Then that makes the game worth playing. Why wouldn't a gameplay(hint, it's rather obvious) be the focus? Because it's a "role playing" game or something? Well, the "role playing" part is a reference to the CHARACTERS you control, not if the game should be story driven or not. Examples being Fairy, Mage. Magician, Elf, Dwarf, Human, etc, etc. If you're not playing a game for gameplay/the game, you shouldn't be playing games at all. We have movies, animation and books for stuff like "stories." Keep your shit out of this medium.

But that's why he was criticizing the decision. re:coded is known mostly for having great gameplay, but this collection is only including the cutscenes. Not that I really mind, as it's still a part of the series and they DID reference it in DDD, even if it wasn't that important overall.

@se37: I don't know about anyone else, but I've been able to utilize the magic in every game pretty well. Sure, you don't need to most of the time, but as someone who focused heavily on the magic over physical attacks, I rarely ever ran out of MP and I still did well. Later games balanced this really well, too (especially Birth By Sleep, with its command system).
Disney was part of KH's roots, and it still is, though I at least understand why you're upset that they've moved away from it. But then, I've heard plenty of people complain that it focused too much on Disney at first. It's just where you sit on the scale, I suppose.
And the KH HD collections are more than just HD collections. They give the worldwide fans versions of the games they always wanted, but never had, on a system that is nearly two generations old. Not to mention, some of the newer ones were on handheld systems, and the demand from people who never bought a handheld was high. All in preparation for KHIII, since the whole franchise is heavily story-based and has a linear story that depends on previous knowledge to take off. Makes sense to me.

As for myself... I'll be looking forward to playing KHII:Final Mix~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2