• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerulean88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
yeah i do understand what you mean. It does disappoint me that there was no general build-up showing that Haji has feelings for Saya as in a lovers pov i mean, though if you think it in a chevalier kinda way, Saya is Haji's most important person.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on the series are what I said they'd be. Great build up and presentation from ep. 20 to early 40s, but the last few episodes, the crappy 4th intro, and the mediocre ending just really kill it.

Could've been one of the best out there. But if all the production efforts really did go to Le Chevalier d'Eon, then we're in for a treat.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Although I knew the show wouldn't end this way, I was praying the whole time that Saya would ignore Kai, kill the babies, then get Haji to kill her or kill Haji herself, hopefully while Kai was gasping his dying breaths as he could do nothing to stop it. Twisted Evil I really hated Kai.

Seriously... yeah, this was a terrible ending to a show that just got worse and worse as time went on for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mthegreatone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote
i guess it was silly of me to think there were people who watched anime for the simple sake of escapism. sure....the ending fights were mediocre at best, but jeez you guys/gals are looking into it waaaaaay too much.

being a relatively recent fan of anime, i'd say watching Blood+ was the best choice for a first-timer watching a vampire-themed anime.

frankly, it does seem like there's room for a sequel of sorts i suppose. i'm assuming there are plans for explaining why nathan surived, and apparently i guess i'm part of the minority who really wants to know how Diva's children turn out.

and i don't know about you guys, but i still felt the ending was a tear-jerker.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
mthegreatone wrote:
i guess it was silly of me to think there were people who watched anime for the simple sake of escapism. sure....the ending fights were mediocre at best, but jeez you guys/gals are looking into it waaaaaay too much.

being a relatively recent fan of anime, i'd say watching Blood+ was the best choice for a first-timer watching a vampire-themed anime.

frankly, it does seem like there's room for a sequel of sorts i suppose. i'm assuming there are plans for explaining why nathan surived, and apparently i guess i'm part of the minority who really wants to know how Diva's children turn out.

and i don't know about you guys, but i still felt the ending was a tear-jerker.

Yeah, I thought the ending was good, too. I think the reason so many people are disappointed in the ending was that the show didn't follow the common course of becoming more and more about action and less about character as it went along. Normally, you would expect a Hollywood thrill ride of an ending, and instead we get deeper into real character emotions and fleshed-out personalities. It seems a lot of people never realized this series was more along the lines of Sam Raimi (Spiderman) or Bryan Singer (X-Men and Superman) than John Woo (Face-Off).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
Normally, you would expect a Hollywood thrill ride of an ending, and instead we get deeper into real character emotions and fleshed-out personalities. It seems a lot of people never realized this series was more along the lines of Sam Raimi (Spiderman) or Bryan Singer (X-Men and Superman) than John Woo (Face-Off).

Fleshed-out? spoiler[Where was the development of Haji love for Saya? Don't get me wrong I don't mind that kind of ending. But there has be some attempt for the characters to be development for that to work. Kai and Saya are the only character that had enough development for this ending and their goodbye work sort of. But what's upsetting is how bad the fighting was in those final episode. It's as if IG had blow the budget and had to work with very few dollars, considering how badly those fights were. ]

Delta
Trivial

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
In terms of topic of discussion and debate I don't have much to say even, though I still have a couple of small questions about some of the events that took place between 30-50, but I just want to let loose on my overall impression of this anime.

First of all, when an anime intrigues me its hard to pull myself away, Blood+ is no exception. To differentiate from the other Blood+ thread that focuses more on individual episodes and style of animation, I want to talk about my overall impression of the story.

Not since RahXphenon have I watched an anime that still has me smiling even after a couple days since completion I can easily talk about some questionable episodes in terms of style, but after watching it all in nearly one go I loved how the story went from point A to B to C. All of the characters I found fairly interesting and enjoyed each of their own story and how they evolved over the course of the anime.

Its a great change from great, but more episodic anime as well as mediocre shounen anime.

[EDIT: Merged your thread with this older one. -TK]
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I did like Blood+ quite a bit but I was constantly annoyed at how Saya would fight for several long minutes BEFORE she bothered to put her blood on the sword. She KNOWS this is the only way to kill Diva and her Cheveliers yet she keeps waiting until the last possible minute to put it on there. Even if she'd gotten a hit it wouldn't have mattered. I mean, if you were fighting Diva wouldn't you go into battle prepared? Hell, I'd load Haji's sword up with blood too. They never really explained why Saya's blood couldn't be used by other people, incorporated into bullets and such.

spoiler[As for the Haji/Saya romance not being developed, I though it was stunningly obvious throughout the entire series. It certainly wasn't a surprise. I was already hoping for some resolution there way before the ending.]
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Uh, as someone mentioned earlier, this is not really a shounen series but a dramatic series. Personally, I like it though I do admit the fight scene dynamics are never clearly defined and the characters are sometimes a little too emo, even for my taste. Overall, I think it's a great series and definitely better than the movie. So far, the only thing that really upset me the most was when they killed off Riku.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
mydog8u2 wrote:
Why is Saya so weak? Sad

The series would be downright boring if she can easily defeat every character opposing her.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote
Diva could "teleport" around she was so fast. She could beat chevaliers while Saya couldn't even touch one. In the last fight of the anime, without Saya ever getting better and becoming weaker and weaker needing to hibernate, she beats Diva. I don't have to see Goku going to train in the time chamber again, but this was just boring.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Diva could "teleport" around she was so fast. She could beat chevaliers while Saya couldn't even touch one. In the last fight of the anime, without Saya ever getting better and becoming weaker and weaker needing to hibernate, she beats Diva. I don't have to see Goku going to train in the time chamber again, but this was just boring.

And besides the constantly cheesy melodrama after the the destruction of Red Shield, this was my main sticking point with the series; how the hell can she go from absolute weakling to going toe-to-toe with Diva?! Diva had pretty much mopped the floor with her in all previous battles, one can assume, since the big epic battle at Red Shield HQ was skipped entirely. Even after the time jump, "badass Saya" wasn't any stronger, just more snotty.

Was it "fighting spirit" or "for the lost love ones"? No, just laziness...

What I personally found boring was showing us the same utterly sappy scenes rehashed repeatedly (just in different settings), instead of character development (although I'll give Kai credit for manning up after the time jump) and exciting fights.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I agree with Maken Buster. I was annoyed with Kai but thought he was quite a cool character after the jump.

And you brought up something that pissed me off as well.

Quote:
Diva had pretty much mopped the floor with her in all previous battles, one can assume, since the big epic battle at Red Shield HQ was skipped entirely

The BIGGEST BATTLE OF THE ANIME, "oh woops, you don't get to see that." No flashbacks, no inferences, nothing. You just have to guess that, like in every other fight in the anime, no one dies and everyone parts ways tipping their hats.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Though I haven't yet seen it myself, I've heard that what happened on the ship will be revealed.
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
Nah, no luck there, rinmackie. The most boring anime rendition of all time will not oblige you. The only good thing about the whole series is the ending and even that is like "Soggy pizza is better than no pizza at all." Laughing The whole show just keeps dragging on and on about Saya and that buffoon Kai (who's almost at the brink of a total Oedipus "oh-i-guess-i-romantically-love-my-sister" complex) and how they're gonna go back to Okinawa and everything's gonna be all right, even when the walls are coming down around their ears. Come on, I mean Saya doesn't have any powers worth the name. Diva kills Riku, Miss Saya's ok with that. She just hides someplace for ONE YEAR and tries to forget everything. Isn't that nice? Forgetting your own brother, just like that. I wish I could forget my brother that easily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4