• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones' Space Dandy Anime Debuts on January 4 With Ian Sinclair

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So the first Naruto series is on the schedule... but why start it all over at Episode 1? Why couldn't they just continue it where they left off? Makes no sense to me...

read the links Hypeathon posted
Ah, didn't see those. Thank you. ^^ Now it's starting to make sense.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ZanraiKid wrote:
[

My only complaint is no Steven Blum. Blum needs to fight more for these Shinichiro Watanabe roles, especially considering he is the face of Toonami. He can throw his weight.

being unionized makes that difficult

I doubt if it is that so much as it is finding the time and/or being financially worthwhile that would have stopped him, and I rather doubt if he ever considered the prospect to begin with. He'd have to know about it in the first place, and given that the dub is being done by a company he has never worked with, I suspect he would have been unaware of the show. Since Funimation does its dubbing in-house that would mean that actors based in LA, like Steve Blum, would have to travel to be a part of it. Some do make the trip, but it can be very difficult to schedule, especially for someone who gets as much work as Blum already does. I know they almost gave up on getting Michelle Ruff to play Fujiko in the latest Lupin because scheduling was so difficult, and Richard Epcar was in it basically by sheer luck since he was around for a different reason. Plus, if a decent chunk of your paycheck is going to get eaten by travel expenses, and I can see why there isn't a ton of crossover between LA and Texas.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
getchman wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So the first Naruto series is on the schedule... but why start it all over at Episode 1? Why couldn't they just continue it where they left off? Makes no sense to me...

read the links Hypeathon posted
Ah, didn't see those. Thank you. ^^ Now it's starting to make sense.

Given the choice, I'd go with what they decided, too. However, it is still rather disappointing to see that the budget for Toonami is so low that they can't afford to continue from where they left off considering that those episodes would all be reruns anyway. We keep seeing the same few shows that Adult Swim has been airing for years because they're cheaper than getting new shows, so it strikes me as odd that reruns of later episodes of Naruto would be considered "prohibitively" expensive.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
A lot of B-List dub talent for what should be an A-List show...

Can't say I'm entirely happy with the English cast but I'll give them a chance.

Dub production on this show must be intense (if anything like Gundam Unicorn, many are probably losing sleep) so I suppose it's possible Funimation didn't want to use all their best VAs otherwise production on other dubs would fall behind if they're too exhausted.

calling them "B-list" really give roster that Funi got yet also series doing same week showing match time with japan showing.

besides give it an experiment trying doing fresh weekly dub showing at same time format for tv showing.

wait til jan 4 to watch it & if really works well just watch it before you over jump them.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Since it seems like a comedic role I think that The Clink might work as a (presumably) gruff and seductive character. If it were serious then there's no way. I do wish that Funimation would use its ample supply of actresses who are better at those sort of roles than Clink, and if they aren't going to use them perhaps Sentai filmworks (who has a shortage of such actresses) can?

Alison Viktorin...why? How did she get recast in anything after what she did to the Index and Railgun dubs? The dub director of this was either blackmailed or is impossibly forgiving of past failures. Same goes for Solusod. Solid cast otherwise, though the director is still key.

Who directs this dub?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Echo, what the hell goes through your mind when you type out these bizarre scenarios?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Since it seems like a comedic role I think that The Clink might work as a (presumably) gruff and seductive character. If it were serious then there's no way. I do wish that Funimation would use its ample supply of actresses who are better at those sort of roles than Clink, and if they aren't going to use them perhaps Sentai filmworks (who has a shortage of such actresses) can?

Alison Viktorin...why? How did she get recast in anything after what she did to the Index and Railgun dubs? The dub director of this was either blackmailed or is impossibly forgiving of past failures. Same goes for Solusod. Solid cast otherwise, though the director is still key.

Who directs this dub?

I'll have to disagree with you on this. Colleen does quite well with comedic roles as far as I'm concerned. She did great work as Momiji in Good Luck Girl. I certainly don't think that Viktorin's work on Railgun was anything that could be considered a career ender. I can see where others might not care for it, but I'd say that refusing to cast her in anything again is much too harsh of a reaction to that performance. And I don't really know what to say about Salusod. Is it a general dislike of his performances overall, or do you have something you can point to that you're taking issue with?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Who directs this dub?

I'll have to disagree with you on this. Colleen does quite well with comedic roles as far as I'm concerned. She did great work as Momiji in Good Luck Girl. I certainly don't think that Viktorin's work on Railgun was anything that could be considered a career ender. I can see where others might not care for it, but I'd say that refusing to cast her in anything again is much too harsh of a reaction to that performance. And I don't really know what to say about Salusod. Is it a general dislike of his performances overall, or do you have something you can point to that you're taking issue with?
I think that Clink can play "gruff 'n sultry" characters well enough if they are purely comedic, an example being Cat Planet Cuties. Though it isn't a "sure thing", as Lilith from Borderlands 2 (just to name one) goes to show. However, I think that she is best either in the director's chair or playing the "softer" roles, where she excels.

Viktorin and Solusod sound forced and break immersion for me. I try not to judge him by the failure that was the Soul Eater dub (obviously-female Karbowski playing a male...), since the Japanese supposedly controlled the dub casting, but I cannot think of a single role that I thought he excelled at. I don't want to dislike him but he keeps turning up in roles that could have gone to actors like Dismuke and Joel McDonald and he keeps delivering a lesser performance than those 2 would have.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
Quote:
3:00 a.m. – Uncut Naruto (starting from episoe (sic) 1)

...Not wanting to sound like a hater or anything, but this is the biggest waste of a 30 min. timeslot of all time. Seriously, WHY?

(I would complain about IGPX as well, but THAT would be totally a hater thing)

Anyway, totally hyped for Space Dandy. And sure as heck hope it does great ratings-wise.

Exactly! Why couldn't they push it to AFTER FMA and GitS?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2