• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Conquest Zvezda Plot (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first half or so of this episode, which was more focused on characters. Once it got all actiony, my interest definitely waned, but the initial development was interesting enough that I'll give it at least a second episode before deciding whether I'll stick with this one.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
And....my new favorite character of the series:

I definitely enjoy the fun atmosphere of this show still! Hope they will introduce some major antagonists soon to bring up the challenge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
That was fun. Those slippery Zvezda commanders, always eluding their enemies and perfectly-times distractions.

I tried doing that hand gesture. Kind of hurts the inner forearm after a while.

Anyway, this was basically proper introductions and we learned of Zvezda's opposition who are just as kooky and most certainly not anyone we already know in disguise.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
To say it in the shortest manner possible, the members that makes up the Zvezda organization are fun to watch in all there machinations.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Omg I was enjoying this show but I am now in love with it since he flat out told her that her cooking sucked. I can't think of any other anime where this has happened. She even wants to learn from him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I want one of those thingies that Bespectacled Bikini girl had: a bed with hands.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Omg I was enjoying this show but I am now in love with it since he flat out told her that her cooking sucked. I can't think of any other anime where this has happened. She even wants to learn from him.

I saw some people complaining about how the show's main character, Asuta, was just another weak male lead. I can see how some could see him as a weak character, but, to me at least, this scene show's that he actually does have a bit of a backbone.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[females in white get call from base to find the zvezda faction to stop them while jimon give ugh why me give day in school well say hello sword lady in person give RUN for his life.

give sword lady going watch & train jimon or he going being torch yet so hungry so bring jimon to zvezda base give meet each members in person & not in zvezda outfits yet dinner time sword lady cooking only jimon, kate, & robot ate food cause jimon had flashback eating from now to all way for a big bang ugh.

yet faint from eating her "purple" white female search zvezda til sting ray-sqiud attack appear yet jimon did hid base name yet call sword lady cooking bad so lead jimon cooking style yet taste good for them all.

& oh white female search for zvezda base is missing cause base move to other area as well. ]
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Omg I was enjoying this show but I am now in love with it since he spoiler[flat out told her that her cooking sucked. I can't think of any other anime where this has happened. She even wants to learn from him.
]

From when I re-watched it with a few friends and that scene happened:
"Woah he... wha? Wait can you even do that!? Is that even allowed!?"
"Dead. He's dead. Final episode."
"It's the anime equivalent of calling a girl a fat %^&&."

Also, something I missed initially, the stepping animation at the very start is extremely well done. You actually see her stepping normally heel-toe-heel-toe.

And I sadly have to deem Roboko's eating as inferior to Hyouka from Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, although it's still at least a little funny.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

We all know the terrible cooking joke, but hers was apparently bad enough to not only be censored, but have a world flashback (instead of just life) and cause an explosion. But he spoiler[still told her the truth], the break of that taboo feels so good.

I had a laugh at their secret base being far from inconspicuous , and the identity of the hero of justice being rather obvious, in terms of that I am reminded a little of something from Pokémon X and Y. Funny that she did not spoiler[see the sign straight away of what it was and he turned it around].

I think that I am quite liking this and that I might choose my next avatar from this series.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this one is just enough offbeat that it is a solid keeper for me this season, despite me not being crazy about the loli undertones of the leader's outfit. (Although I may come over to Bamboo's viewpoint on that if they don't do anything else creepy in that direction.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tyler.j.kirk.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
In my experience fan service is usually heaviest in the earlier episodes to attract viewers, if its going to be there at all, as a series goes on it'll either stay consistent or taper off abit like it kind of did in Vividred. I don't think I've ever seen fan service get worse as a series goes on.

The fact that were two episodes in now with essentially no pure fanservice shots (such as close ups on erogenous zones) leads to me believe that even if it might happen at some point, it'll never be a major part of the shows viewing experience.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I want one of those thingies that Bespectacled Bikini girl had: a bed with hands.

Goddammit, Blood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Goddammit, Blood.

Ah. Oh. Uh. I thought he meant something else but now that you repeat it...

I get it! And I can't get rid of it...

Right. Episode 2. Fun stuff, we meet most of the cast in their lair/home without their masks, we learn our main villain-hero has mad cooking skills and nothing else about the rest of the cast. Robot girl's Roboko, mad scientist girl's a girl {And what a girl! Really, how old is she?}, delinquent girl with the sword is a girl with a sword, the big guy's big and Yasu calls himself Odin but no one else does.

Come on, series. Kate's an insightful girl with an amazing perspective, I want to see what's in her head. The sooner the better.

Dinner conquered! Now, if Across started this small, they would have gotten further with their own World Conquest plot.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
tyler.j.kirk.1 wrote:
In my experience fan service is usually heaviest in the earlier episodes to attract viewers, if its going to be there at all, as a series goes on it'll either stay consistent or taper off abit like it kind of did in Vividred. I don't think I've ever seen fan service get worse as a series goes on.

The fact that were two episodes in now with essentially no pure fanservice shots (such as close ups on erogenous zones) leads to me believe that even if it might happen at some point, it'll never be a major part of the shows viewing experience.

I agree-- fan service shows with no other agenda beyond pandering to those who pursue such prurient flights of fancy, go out of their way to express what the show is about. 2 episodes in, and the only (arguable) fan service shots are the intro scenes of the two female leaders in the opening, and maybe Roboko waving her dual-stinger roborump, if we're being technical.

It's always fun to see how people dismiss shows like Zvezda almost automatically despite it's absence of fan service, yet praise shows like Kill La Kill or Wake Up Girls! while ignoring the fan service or lauding the shows fan service notwithstanding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11