• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Uranus & Neptune Make It to LogoTV's Character Semi-Finals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Nights1stStar wrote:
What annoys me is that some of the earlier candidates in the tournament were actually NOT confirmed as gay or lesbian in their shows. If you look at the list: Velma from Scooby Doo? Buttercup from Powerpuff Girls? Gaston and Genie from the Disney movies? Daria from Daria?!

I think many, if not all, of the characters that are being listed here are considered "gay icon" characters. They are characters from animation that kids who are LGBT tend to associate with because they feel they are "just like them" and so for many of these children the characters are "gay." Still, I'm not sure how Jigglypuff fits but Pokemon isn't a strong point for shows I know something about.

And usually just the "Look, two male characters are best friends!" gag that goes all the way back to Sesame Street's Bert & Ernie. (Oh, don't even freakin' start, they're supposed to be Felix & Oscar. Not to mention, they're kids.)
As noted by Spongebob & Paul being on the list, which led to Spongebob's show being such a niche-favorite among the gay audiences...And what, no Timon & Pumbaa from Lion King, which gag was so horse-beaten to death by the niche audience, the Southern Baptists were under the complete impression Disney actually WAS putting "openly gay characters in their movies"?
By the time we have Batman's Robin on the list...let's face it, they're just TROLLING at this point. It's really the immature displays of schoolyard pettiness that fuels most of straights' reactions of, quote, "homophobia" toward the community, and "Aren't we naugh-ty? Wink " stunts like this to try and grab public credibility through shock value, really just aren't helping that much. Unless they actually believe it themselves, which is....sadder. Sad

(I'm not sure about Jigglypuff either, unless it's his pink-fluffy appearance and feeling "picked on" that nobody stays awake for his song.)

Quote:
However, I do know why Velma from ScoobyDoo is considered "gay." The four main human characters from ScoobyDoo were lifted and re-imaged from a 1950's show The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Velma and Shaggy are so clearly Zelda Gilroy & Maynard G. Krebs that even I picked up on it when I first saw the show on Nick at Night in the 1980s without knowing the full story(which has come out subsequently).

I never watched Dobie on Nick at Night, but I always spotted Shaggy for a quick plagiarism of Maynard, which's why I always Rolling Eyes'ed at later-generation gags about "Look, he's HB's first stoner!"
I wasn't aware of the whole saga of Zelda (although the gag of the frumpy bookworm-artist "Female beatnik" was a pretty standard one at the time, and 1969 kids would have recognized the trope in Velma right away), but with the Dobie cribbings, it just proves you have to do your homework. spoiler[(...WO-rk! Wink )]

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd bang Uranus. She's a hot tamale.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
However, I do know why Velma from ScoobyDoo is considered "gay." The four main human characters from ScoobyDoo were lifted and re-imaged from a 1950's show The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Velma and Shaggy are so clearly Zelda Gilroy & Maynard G. Krebs that even I picked up on it when I first saw the show on Nick at Night in the 1980s without knowing the full story(which has come out subsequently). Zelda was played by a actress who later grew up to become a gay rights advocate. I read a article where she mentioned that while she personally didn't realize she was gay until later (she was still a teen I think when she was doing the show) the shows production team and writers thought she was gay and part of the subtext for the character was that even though she was chasing the male lead from the show, Zelda was gay (part of the humor, which would be questionable these days IMO but not in the late 50s/early 60s). Also the boy chasing got this past Standards and Practices who wouldn't have allowed a gay character on TV during that time.

Anyway, the creators of ScoobyDoo have acknowledged that they lifted the leads out of the other show for theirs, with enough changes to make sure no one got into legal problems. However, it took Hanna Barbara almost a decade to get ScoobyDoo onto TV & Dobie Gillis didn't get re-aired on TV (or at least not re-aired in wide enough syndication) until the 1980s (I think it was lack of enough episodes for strip syndication and/or a legal issue that was cleared up until then that caused this). So many people, myself included, never caught on until later, while others who had parents who saw the live action show did catch on (Dobie Gillis was a huge show at the time it aired but my parents didn't seem to have ever watch it). So that's how many have come to think of Velma as gay.

Cool info, thanks. So at least this character has some reasoning for being in the tournament.

Of course, the Velma from Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. would be either straight (or bi) since she was in a relationship with Shaggy and was genuinely hurt when he spent more time hanging with Scooby and such than with her, though her friend Marcie "Hot Dog Water" seemed to possibly have a romantic interest in Velma (didn't seem like the feelings were mutual though they could have been).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I'm not sure why Betty Deville was there either

Howard being Betty's beard explains so much about his character though...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
Ah too bad they didn't include the hot new item: Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2