• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
I was most ready to watch this out of anything this season based on the vibe I was getting from it. I was really hoping for something like a 2014 Now and Then, Here and There as far as tone and mystery were concerned...

May I ask where you were getting this vibe from? If there's a manga, I haven't read it, just some blurbs here and there and promo images, but from none of that would I have ever imagined a NaT,HaT sort of story was in store. So I'm very curious as to what you were reading that led you to expect anything even remotely like that. Smile

But I can see why you'd be disappointed since you were expecting that. I was imagining some sort of distasteful shota-fest myself, so maybe my own pleasant surprise was one reason I liked it so much.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I bet Nike's sisters are going to regret it after they see the shota. What anime chicks don't like some shota?

not sure what shota really mean, but can you really can a person really when he is just young? can you call your little brother shota when he is 12-15? Male normally grow later than female around 16 to 21. Female is 14-18. female normally can't grow taller after 18.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like how the skinny guy was nice enough to think about us male viewers. wrong show though, and not the appropriate situation
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
May I ask where you were getting this vibe from? If there's a manga, I haven't read it, just some blurbs here and there and promo images, but from none of that would I have ever imagined a NaT,HaT sort of story was in store. So I'm very curious as to what you were reading that led you to expect anything even remotely like that. Smile

But I can see why you'd be disappointed since you were expecting that. I was imagining some sort of distasteful shota-fest myself, so maybe my own pleasant surprise was one reason I liked it so much.

The title, premise, and promo images definitely struck a serious tone with me. I don't like to research a lot before I watch something, but barebones concepts usually give me an upper and lower bound while leaving lots of room for surprise. My impression was that the best this could be was like NaT, HaT because it had the setting space for a lot of world-building with about that level of supernatural influence, a strong foreign character who discovers, interacts with and impacts the world at about the rate that Shu did, and gives you that same sense of unbridled wonder and mystery.

For what it's worth, I actually don't think I'm wrong about most of that, but the execution is just much more comedic in a way that I neither expected nor enjoyed, especially for this kind of thing. But whatever, other fish in the sea.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I went into this without knowing it was a Shoujo genre (which I thought I'd written off a long time ago). I didn't realize it until after watching and looking it up. The fact that I didn't feel any immediate repulsive flags is a good thing. The MC's personality kinda reminds me of Nanami from Kamisama Kiss, which was a charming show. I hope this one will follow in a similar fashion.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
How shojo is it exactly? Like is she gonna turn out to be a tame stay at home mom? Who support her husband from the back and whose husband is gonna show her how to be a responsible woman? Mad
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Nike. Smart, but not too smart. Tough, but not too tough. She was so cute after spoiler[brawling with the castle guards.] Pretty but not overdone. (No gigantic boobs! Yay.)

A good sport: she's willing to get married as the result of rock-paper-scissors? And she is willing to employ those losers that robbed her.

I'm sold after one episode. I have high hopes for this one.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I was all prepared to like this series, and I did like the first episode... until the very end. The moment I saw the king, I realized that this wasn't going to be what I was hoping it would be -- a sort of Morbito or Twelve Kingdoms sort of setting. I guess it's my fault for getting my hopes up, and I do like Nike, but the King completely kills any desire I have to watch more of this series.

It's interesting that you mention Moribito. I referred to that as well in the preview thread. I was sort of hoping that the king would be a Chagum type character, though more polite than Chagum perhaps. It would have made for a much more interesting dynamic I think between the two characters than what I am sort of expecting... (I'm afraid of the king being someone like either (1) a usual teen harem lead or (2) a usual rude/jerk bishie with a heart of gold, which seems to be fairly common in shoujo romances.) But anyway, I still did enjoy the first episode and I really like Nike and the setting. I will hope that the king beats my expectations.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I love Nike. Smart, but not too smart. Tough, but not too tough. She was so cute after spoiler[brawling with the castle guards.] Pretty but not overdone. (No gigantic boobs! Yay.)

A good sport: she's willing to get married as the result of rock-paper-scissors? And she is willing to employ those losers that robbed her.

I'm sold after one episode. I have high hopes for this one.

Yeah, Nike really made the episode. She's much stronger than I was expecting, which is a plus. What I was expecting was a recipe of:
1. Apothecarius Argentum for setting and political maneuvering of small middle ages-ish European-ish kingdoms at risk of being conquered;
2. Story of Saiunkoku for arranged marriage plot aspects (though with less independent smart heroine, I assumed) and
3. Dash of Fushigi Yugi for overall shojo romance, fantastical superpowers and maybe MC's personality;

But after seeing the episode what I got was better--Nike is definitely a stronger character than Miaka (Fushigi Yugi), maybe not as smart as Shurei (Saiunkoku), but who is? I was more on the mark with Princess Primula (Argentum), for the shaky politics and independent streak that inspires a princess to disguise herself and hang out with citizens.

I wasn't enthused with her spoiler[forgiving the thieves, as it was a *really* bad judgment call], hope that's just a first episode fluke. But the humor was okay. It had way more humor than I was expecting.

Another plus: the bishie butler guy was nice to look at. Wink

The animation wasn't very good, but that's not why I'm watching. I want a solid shojo with a strong heroine and a smart plot.

Can we talk about that ending theme, though? I can do without nearly seeing naked prepubescent king butt. It really grossed me out.

Oh, and Nike's dress is so..plain and kind of ugly. That's not a deal breaker, though! Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Oh, and Nike's dress is so..plain and kind of ugly. That's not a deal breaker, though! Wink

So she needs clothes more in line with her strong image? Start the transformation sequence.

*music starts playing* "Don't lose your way, your mind...."
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Heh, that would be fun. But I was just thinking that her dress should look more regal, like what her sisters were wearing (after that weird fantasy bikini flashback that made no sense at all. Who was even supposed to be imaging that?) Instead, Nike looks like she got her dress from a very brightly colored section of UNIQLO. She's wearing that dress in the promo art too, so I fear it will be like a Kagome situation in that she'll never change, no matter how impractical a short skirt may be.

Edit: um, where is that transformation song you quoted from? I assume it's Sailor Moon, but I'm not sure *embarrassed blush*...wait, is that Frozen? Of course!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Edit: um, where is that transformation song you quoted from? I assume it's Sailor Moon, but I'm not sure *embarrassed blush*...wait, is that Frozen? Of course!

Well it was not always used as the transformation song, but best done when it was.

^That is what was playing in DuskyPredator's head, think of me as you will.
(it was Kill la Kill.)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Can we talk about that ending theme, though? I can do without nearly seeing naked prepubescent king butt. It really grossed me out.

Not into shota are you?

That's OK now you know what the girls have to put up with all the time.

Anyway, the fun of it is not to look at it in your orientation but instead try to look at it as Nike would. The poor kid was prepared to abase and submit herself to a grizzled gargantuan blood soaked bone crunching ogre and instead got the smooth young boy younger than her. I guess this world doesn't have Facebook.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Not into shota are you?

That's OK now you know what the girls have to put up with all the time.

Anyway, the fun of it is not to look at it in your orientation but instead try to look at it as Nike would. The poor kid was prepared to abase and submit herself to a grizzled gargantuan blood soaked bone crunching ogre and instead got the smooth young boy younger than her. I guess this world doesn't have Facebook.

I didn't get the impression he was a shota from his appearance. He looks more like high school age to be honest (hence my commentary above and in the preview talkback.)

Edit - Yea, the Wikipedia page claims he is 15. High school age. I don't know if I would call that a shota, but I don't really know if there is an accepted definition for the term.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading the spring preview guide and every single reviewer at ANN had the same reaction I did and award 4 or 4.5 out of 5 based on the first episode. So unless they screw it up real bad this one will probably be a keeper.

It is pretty remarkable in this jaded bunch when a character shows up that evokes such a positive reaction from everyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 34