• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike the Blood

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved the show from start to finish, and even though I'm also a big Index fan that show just seems to go on and on to the point I don't know if I can stick with it, since it has tons on light novels still to be covered.

STB was a nice change of pace and the fact that if that was it, still had a ending and a decent one at that.

Loved the first opening theme same group that did the Highschool of the Dead opening but they haven't released much of anything since then way back in July 2010.

Doubt we will see a another season anytime soon. These 24 episodes covered the first 6 volume of 9 and the last arc was loosely based on a side story novel. In which we learn that the Asagi look a like in the future is also one of Koujo's daugthers and that they all call him by his first name instead of Father. So it seems he has more than one lover and child to each one of them.

Wonder how that goes around the dinner table having more than one wife and a bunch of half siblings?

Still waiting for someone to license it I would buy it in a heartbeat on Blu-Ray.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I like both STB and Index, and DxD. I think STB is closer to Index than DxD. I mean DxD at is core is a lot more comedy and ecchi focused, while STB ultimately focus more on the action and sci fi/fantasy elements. Although I think Mahouka is closer to Index than STB, in terms of how it handles the harem aspects in a sci fi setting.

Hope we do get another season soon, or maybe they can make a season 2 with one cour, which would be enough to cover 3 ln volumes, and then wait for more to come.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Kojo Akatsuki seems like just an ordinarily laconic high school student, once who has a middle school-aged little sister and a pair of longtime male and female friends.

In anime, a laconic high school student is anything but ordinary. Any high schooler who doesn't babble on about at least his "existential angst" is a "one in a million" freak in anime.

This might sound like a stupid question, but what does "laconic" mean?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
electricpatriot wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Kojo Akatsuki seems like just an ordinarily laconic high school student, once who has a middle school-aged little sister and a pair of longtime male and female friends.

In anime, a laconic high school student is anything but ordinary. Any high schooler who doesn't babble on about at least his "existential angst" is a "one in a million" freak in anime.

This might sound like a stupid question, but what does "laconic" mean?
Someone who doesn't speak very often, and when he does it is short and to the point; a "man of few words".

Quote:
That said, for a fanservice show, I appreciate the fact that the main character actually got physical with his harem.

...I thought that it was carved in stone somewhere that this could never happen, that a "look, don't touch" rule existed in anime. I was surprised that DxD was so successful as it came mighty close to breaking that rule (and broke a whole lot of rules, which is why it was good).
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This series bored me. It was decent enough that I watched it through the first half, but there were too many good shows last season so it fell out of my rotation. It was too generic. I love the Index series and all, but if I want to watch Index, I'll watch Index.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
I kind of liked the story to be honest. Not the most ambitious plot for sure, but it had a nice flow to it and with good character interactions.

I would love to see a second season eventually. Silver Link does great work nowadays.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
I still cannot believe Strike the Blood is written by the same author (Mikumo Gakuto) who did Dantalian no Shoka, I still can't. I am not implying one is better than the other, but anyone who have read both novels will know the respective writing styles are so different they become almost unrecognizable to each other. Not sure whether that's good or bad though.

Fairly speaking, STB (both as anime and novels) are quite entertaining to read/watch, despite its various shortcomings. So I definitely agree with the review for the most part (about the grade of animation like others pointing out, although I don't agree either but I can see why the reviewer give such grade though)

One thing I worry before the anime airs is the anime series composition was handled by Hiroyuki Yoshino, one with so many misses rather than hits. But the result wasn't too bad, sure the novel was horribly squeezed, and some explanations (including Koujo's power, some important world buildings, etc) were being cut. But considering they are adapting six volumes and a short extra chapter (the last two episodes, so they actually add some original contents) into 24 episodes, I guess this may be the best they can do about it.

About the negatives though...

First, in both novel and anime, STB repeatedly telling us Koujo is the strongest vampire in the world,and almost in every single arc (except volume 7-8, which was not adapted) Koujo was driven into a corner, and most likely, on the verge of being exterminated. I am aware as a vampire he is still quite inexperienced and his power is certainly not at his fullest (7 out of 12 familiars were released until volume 10, the newest installment); but when so many enemies even treating him lightly to begin with and have no problems finding ways to overwhelm him until the end, the title of being "strongest" actually sounds like an irony than a factual statement. Prime example that showing is better than telling.

Also, like most action-oriented Light Novels, STB's plot in each volume/arc can be a bit formulaic: Koujo's daily lives with his harem--Introducing enemies--Introducing new female casts / potential harem additions--battle with the enemies--Koujo on the verge of death--Koujo sucks blood from someone--summons new familar--defeat the enemies--happy end. That being said, personally I don't feel the entertainment values was much hindered.

Yukina is one of the series's strengths, and yet sometimes can also be the problem. Her never-ending jealousy is understandable, but when she keep saying things like "I am just his observer" yet acting like his girlfriend, it was tolerable a first few times, but becoming slightly annoying later.

Also maybe it's just me, the obligatory line in every single arc: "From now on, this is my War/No, Senpai, this is OUR War!" this line can sometimes feel embarrassing to hear. Repeatedly shoving a signature one-liner into viewer's face probably isn't the smartest thing to do.

All in all, a solid harem series (with an actual harem end too!), I won't mind a second season. (given the decent sales number, not entirely impossible though)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kujo technically IS the strongest vampire, but cannot use all his powers yet. The people who claimed that he was the strongest do not know about that, and assume he can use all 12 powers. So far, only Vatler figured it out.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
this show steals too many idea from other LNs like Campione, Index... , but couldn't make it work.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
this show steals too many idea from other LNs like Campione, Index... , but couldn't make it work.

Once you make an argument that something steals generic ideas from recently made works who themselves lift ideas and concepts that are decades old, this is when your argument is nonsense.

Also I completely forgot this was from the guy who Dantalion which I love, I have to agree it couldn't be more different from STB.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Once you make an argument that something steals generic ideas from recently made works who themselves lift ideas and concepts that are decades old, this is when your argument is nonsense.

Also I completely forgot this was from the guy who Dantalion which I love, I have to agree it couldn't be more different from STB.

hmm this is not a argument. It's just like campione! with vampire. This show doesn't work, it's not popular, not many people were watching it based on CR's ranking. Not sure about the bluray sale.

I never said you can't steal idea. everybody steals idea, but you have to make it work.

Some has stupid idea, but it works. Daisuki uploaded Sword Art online to youtube like 1 yea after it broadcasted in Japan and CR. It averages over 500k Viewers per ep. Madoka averages like 70k viewers per eps.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
This show was competent.
Faint praise, but these days for me that puts it into the top 90%.

The arcs and harem building seemed logical, and I know want to know how it all ends up.

This was the purpose of the anime?

Mission accomplished.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
I didn't really watch the original Index series, so i missed the connection similarity to it with Strike the Blood.

I thought the show was very enjoyable to watch, despite some problems as need more females to tempt Kojo.

It sort of reminded me of Campone! from few years ago. However, this was better done. I guess I'm sucker for supernatural, with touch of god like powers thrown in. It was balance with action and light comedy and not over done Fan Service.

Nothing wrong with that. The series's ending least gave us a ending which could help patch things up if follow-on series doesn't materialize in a few year. It be interesting if they did a series just in the future setting itself.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
generally failing to make sense (see Asura Cryin')

Asura Cryin' made plenty of sense. Dunno what you're talkin' aboot.

Other than that, good review.

Yeah, I was confused on that too. Regardless of whether you like it or not, Asura Cryin did a really good job explaining everything (eventually).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2