• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The CW to Air Live-Action Shows in Vortexx's Current Saturday Morning Slots

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think CW would've been okay had they just limited their live-action shows to just two slots, but now that they're going to replace all of their cartoons/anime shows with live-action programming, I don't see them lasting too long. Plus, some of those shows have already aired on National Geographic and channels similar to it.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how long Vortexx would last.
spoiler[According to my calculations, a month longer than Toonzai.]

I think the disappointing thing for me about this is the realization that the networks clearly have no interest in children's programming that isn't E/I.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I think CW would've been okay had they just limited their live-action shows to just two slots, but now that they're going to replace all of their cartoons/anime shows with live-action programming, I don't see them lasting too long. Plus, some of those shows have already aired on National Geographic and channels similar to it.

Tell that to ABC.

Last edited by WeirDiE_InC on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Network decay is killing TV and most likely for good, oh well, at least there's trillions of ways to watch anime and even the news and other shows online.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Joe anime said
Quote:
Kids aren't seeing Saturday morning cartoons like they use to back in the day.

Yes, and they are replacing the block with reality shows. The link says that Vortexx has been struggling with ratings compared to cable shows

If they want to get more people into anime and decide to go about using the localized 4kids-style censoring, then these upcoming shows aren't the way to go. Maybe they could have 1-2 live action shows but leave the rest as cartoons. CGI, and anime.

mdo7 said
Quote:
That or most of the cartoon coming out these day are not as good as they used to.

I miss the Fox Kids and Kids WB days (even though I am 27).

Who you tellin, I'm 20 and I miss it too
I am 30 and I miss those days
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sad until I realized that the CW used to be the WB and that was where all the awesome shows used to be on was on the WB on Saturday mornings. How sad that Saturday morning cartoons are all but dead. I don't know how kids manage with the way entertainment is now a days.
Seiru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
So this just kind of ruined my day no scratch that maybe my following weeks/months.I loved watching cartoons on this channel and I even got up at 7 am to watch them but to hear that they are replacing this for some educational crap,excuse the language,just makes me argh! Mad I am hoping for a new cartoon channel that I can watch on Saturdays but I highly doubt that.I can continue on raging on and on about this but right now I am just speechless.I am going to go and cry in the corner now. Crying or Very sad
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I wasn't sad until I realized that the CW used to be the WB and that was where all the awesome shows used to be on was on the WB on Saturday mornings.
Not quite - the CW was a "merger"(whatever the hell that actually means) between the WB and UPN.
Quote:
How sad that Saturday morning cartoons are all but dead.
The banning of advertising tie-in merchandise took away one of the main lifelines for them; the rise of cable networks just finished them.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, as if there weren't enough reality shows on tv already, now they're feeding it to kids. I feel sorry for any kids that only have access to this when they get up early Sat. morning to eat cereal to.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Don't worry, there are plenty of cartoons/anime on Cartoon Network on Saturday Mornings and that show is called Pokemon. Smile
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Don't worry, there are plenty of cartoons/anime on Cartoon Network on Saturday Mornings and that show is called Pokemon. Smile

Don't forget Ben 10 Omniverse. I heard a new Scooby-Doo and Sonic cartoon are coming soon on Cartoon Network.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Well this kind of sucks. Television these days is in an unfortunate situation. Seems like America can't really do action television shows anymore. Have you seen all the shows on CN? All pathetic attempts to cash in on Adventure Time's comedy style... and it doesn't work. Reason why stuff like Young Justice got cancelled and replaced with stuff like Teen Titans GO. Not to mention this idea that apparently showing kids that violence has consequences is bad, and the apparent allergy most TV networks have to airing shows in actual episode order and without going on year-long hiatuses discourages shows from even attempting any kind of spanning plotline.

I'm not jaded enough to think it was much better in the 'good old days' though. TV was pretty sparse back then too, but still. I think the peak was already reached and the bubble has already popped when it comes to American television animation. The advent of CG and Flash certainly didn't help the market and probably is half of what holds it back. Seems like animation is dead and live-action programming is what's going to be the focus these days.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Joe anime wrote:
Kids aren't seeing Saturday morning cartoons like they use to back in the day.

Saturday morning cartoons are obsolete. We now have channels dedicated to children like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Hub, and whatever else is out there. The days where they all got regulated to Saturday mornings are over and now cartoons air 24/7 on a variety of channels.

You forgot Boomerang.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
I heard about this on another website and I've got to tell you,it's sad. And I think it's stupid as well. I doubt that a whole lot of kids want to see stuff like this. It's like the programmers want to stuff their schedules with things that kids don't want to see on Saturday mornings. A lot of this stuff is like video broccoli to most kids. Not a lot of fun to watch.
You'll see. When this stuff crashes and burns like it inevitably will,the networks will have to think of better cartoons for kids to watch.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
If this will be the end of it i'm pissed and i'm not even in the U.S. Everything gotta make place for this verry verry funny live action crappy programming u gotta be kidding me.
Apparently idiot's who have no brains eat this up get the hell outta my face with it the world if full of idiots .... Rolling Eyes
InuKag1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I wasn't sad until I realized that the CW used to be the WB and that was where all the awesome shows used to be on was on the WB on Saturday mornings. How sad that Saturday morning cartoons are all but dead. I don't know how kids manage with the way entertainment is now a days.

So true. I miss Kids WB so much it was part of my Saturday morning ritual for so long and they ruined it. I stopped getting up to watch it a few years ago when they got rid of all the good stuff. I can remember watching it afterschool in the afternoon as a kid. (Sigh) oh well. (And Cartoon Network sucks by the way because of their reputation for cancelling good shows before they finish so they're pretty much useless)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4