• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Azazel-san, Yakitate! Japan, Suteki Tantei Labyrinth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Meh. The only one I've heard of is Yakitake Japan and that was a SUPER campy shounen series. I'll make a point of at least watching a couple episodes of the other 3 when rightstuf puts them up on youtube, if only because rightstuf has a history of licensing hidden gems that I hadn't heard of, but in all honesty I probably won't be buying any of these.

For the fun of it I looked through the official Nozomi/Lucky Penny licensing request threads for the past two years to see how many times these titles showed up.

Fantasy Detective Labyrinth: 1

Azazel: 2 (but by the same poster)

Yakitake Japan: 0

Space Pirate Mito: 0

(I'm honestly a little worried about Mito being able to sell double digits)

Yakitate Japan is more culinary comedy than shounen.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey Mito. Wasn't MB's release of that censored?

yappers4 wrote:

Yeah, it's done in the style of a shounen fighting competition, but it's mainly about the characters, their personalities, and the antics. The main joke comes from how seriously take this bread baking business, but now that we actually have wars over cupcakes and other specific food items, the joke might not be as strong as it once was.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, there was a sequel series to Space Pirate Mito called Aoi & Mutsuki: A Pair of Queens; since it wasn't mentioned I guess Nozomi didn't get that one. I have the MB releases of both in my unwatched pile.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well that bread anime of the gods has finally been picked up. I'm kind of surprised that Right Stuf rescued 'Mito'. I already own both series when they were released years ago. I'm curious to know what has been going on with MB these days.

As for that series Azazel-san, I've never heard of it. Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
As for that series Azazel-san, I've never heard of it. Confused

That's definitely on you as Japan rather likes Azazel-san. 2 TV series and a number of various OVA/OAD episodes and the manga consistently selling over 100k copies each volume are pretty significant numbers.

Azazel is black comedy gold. From the director of Dokuro-chan/Punie-chan with an outstanding seiyuu cast featuring the likes of Daisuke Namikawa, Masaya Onosaka, Kamiya Hiroshi, and Rina Satou. If you like any sort of black comedy or even physical comedy then I highly recommend it. I'll certainly be buying it. And I might pick up the first set or two of Yakitate depending on packaging/price.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
And I just bought the Mito 2 pack which seemed to have disappeared as soon as it was produced - so I could have had the opportunity to buy it in a possibly worse set {just the first season?} at a higher price?

Wait, forget I said anything.

Of all the things to revive, recent MB properties shouldn't be any of them. I can't say anything about the new stuff as it's just not interesting; Mito isn't even a very good show but it has some intriguing aspects to it.
Thallium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, i will probably buy Yakitate and Azazel. The former is a show i rewatch every few years and the latter i definitely had to laugh out loud at multiple times. Good stuff!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool Azazel-san was really funny
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Of all the things to revive, recent MB properties shouldn't be any of them.

Haha. This Laughing

Still, if I'm mistaken and there is a market for this, I'm happy for those people that wanted it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:

It's Shonen parody mixed with awful Japanese puns. The final arc of the series ends up essentially lampshading itself Anime catgrin
BlueThunder06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
The only one of these titles that I have heard of is Yakitate! Japan. That being said, Yakitate! looks somewhat interesting. I may have to see if I can find the series elsewhere or see if comes out streaming beforehand (or read the manga, which I think has been released in English, but not 100 % sure). I also haven't really seen an anime focused at least to some extent on "cooking" before. Might be worth checking out.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh my sweet Jesus! Yakitate Japan coming to the US. I understand its not a show for everyone, but its an amazing show nonetheless and I had long since given up hope on it coming here, and even considered an official Malaysian Government approved edition just to have it in English. Well now Malaysia won't get my money but Rightstuf will.

Also although exaggerated, most of the technique in Yakitate Japan are real life baking techniques. The show is most similar to Shougakuen no Soma, or whatever its called that just got an anime announcement.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Man, I was really hoping for some older titles, more things like Rose of Versailles or Space Adventure Cobra!

When it comes time to release Azazel, based on comments, I'll at least check it out on youtube first, but I've no interest in the others really.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I loved Yakitate!! Japan, I'll probably be getting that.

Ditto. I don't care if it's 7 years old. Razz Better late than never and it's so freakin' hi-larious! Laughing I know I'm idiotically partial to Takehito Koyasu (because he roxx Anime catgrin ), but, seriously, he was damn awesome as Kuro-yan. "Meloooooooon!" Anime hyper
Whoever's thinking about it: buy it, watch it, prepare for the funny. I've seen 1000's of anime titles. Not many made me LOL. This one did. A lot.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
For what it's worth, there was a sequel series to Space Pirate Mito called Aoi & Mutsuki: A Pair of Queens; since it wasn't mentioned I guess Nozomi didn't get that one. I have the MB releases of both in my unwatched pile.

Crunchyroll's news article notes it will be 26 episodes and include both series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3