• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Story Information for New Digimon Series Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
They can't retcon season 2. If they do, they leave tons of plot points from the Wonderswam games open. And if they retcon the Wonderswan games, then they leave a ton of plot points from the first season open (or, at least, those plot points make less sense).
Julliant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Evil didn't resurface in the digital world,, maybe the new evil will originate from the real world instead? I don't recall the ending of 02 since it seemed like a decade since I watched it, but that seems like an okay way to go around without retconning.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Please let this show be a de-construction of digimon.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

You mean, like Tamers was (to a point)?
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Seth has said that he's always happy to come back to play Tai, so here's to hoping they bring him back for the dub.
vallum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
They can't retcon season 2. If they do, they leave tons of plot points from the Wonderswam games open. And if they retcon the Wonderswan games, then they leave a ton of plot points from the first season open (or, at least, those plot points make less sense).

Who cares about the Wonderswan games? Razz
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Crystal wrote:

I remember the last time this sequel was mentioned here, there was a lot of this "They should do what fans on the internet say they want!" like catering to shippers--Digimon has almost no romance. And watching the Chosen Children get into fights over who likes who would be a terrible idea as well.

The epilogue of 02 literally screws everything over.

It's kinda of like Gundam Wing Endless Waltz > Frozen Teardrop right now. You don't say at the end of a show/film "Evil never resurfaced, etc." when you plan on doing a sequel some years down the line.

Unless they do it in the Real World, retconning the last bit of 02 makes sense. Besides, I can't really see why they would do it in the Real World considering that's the majority of where Tamers and Savers take place and Adventure has normally been about the Digital World.

Or...could it be that this series will be more like a filler without any significant epic events that give you goosebumps ? Like..guys this is toei animation. Toei has the worst reputation you can have. They totally screwed one piece and toriko. Its golden days are long over. They have been doing a horrible job for many years now, Although I am aware of the fact that an animation studio is not the one doing the job rather than hiring people to do the job. But what I'm trying to say is, maybe they're just going to milk digimon and give you an alternate story that doesnt have to be cannon but could be if you really want it to.

I usually never tend to such pessimism but toei really makes me angry for so many reasons...oh god
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Two things:

• Supplementary material literally says the adventures of the kids are not over.
  • The epilogue is 25 years down the road. I guess this is really an extension of the first thing because the huge gap in time is also brought up, and it goes along the lines of "of course, the world can't go this long without problems."

Obviously there's the chance none of this incorporated, but there is precedent for it.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I would love for a simuldub of this. But like Pokemon, they probably won't do it, knowing full well they can O.o
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
I would love for a simuldub of this. But like Pokemon, they probably won't do it, knowing full well they can O.o

They can, or are you pulling this out of your ass?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
vallum wrote:

Because the anime directly references them as canon material and wouldn't make as much sense without them. =P
Though I admit that you don't need the games to care for the anime and its characters, the games are great supplementary material with tons of insight and plot twists that can change your entire perception of the anime.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Joshua Seth has said that he's always happy to come back to play Tai, so here's to hoping they bring him back for the dub.

I'd rather we get an UNCUT dub, like Sailor Moon is getting. I'm fine with whether or not he returns, but really want an uncut dub.

Digimon's dub has pretty much all the same problems Sailor Moon's dub has, but gets less flack for it. It's grating to see dubs like Attack on Titan, Madoka, Blue Exorcist, Sword Art Online get flack despite having virtually no changes but Digimon gets treated as if it were originally in English.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

Considering it says "High School Days," I assume it wiill end with a nice boat.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

I'd rather we get an UNCUT dub, like Sailor Moon is getting. I'm fine with whether or not he returns, but really want an uncut dub.

Digimon's dub has pretty much all the same problems Sailor Moon's dub has, but gets less flack for it. It's grating to see dubs like Attack on Titan, Madoka, Blue Exorcist, Sword Art Online get flack despite having virtually no changes but Digimon gets treated as if it were originally in English.

I was talking about Joshua Seth voicing the character, not whether or not they'll edit thingsin the English release.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
vallum wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Japan. That's why they're canon with the anime and Ryou was in Tamers.

Crystal wrote:

Just plain nostalgia. The mental gymnastics I see people use to justify the terrible dub is funny at times. Defending the insertion of jokes every 2 seconds, even during serious scenes, as a "coping mechanism" and makes the show more deep and cerebral because of it. It's funny Laughing

Still surprised Sailor Moon got a proper redub. That was way more popular and inter-grained into American pop culture. You'd think for sure they'd try to cash in on that with keeping the name changes and stuff.

Digimon wont be as lucky. Xros Wars dub is terrible.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3