• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Robot Carnival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Well, there a ton of sites on the net that deals with OOP stuff. One that I like is this site for DVD's.

http://www.rareoopdvds.com/

They do have some listings for Anime like Barefoot gen and the Perfect Sessions Cowboy Bebop (Value of nearly $200 for the set). But when I first got to the site, I saw this:

http://www.rareoopdvds.com/detail.php?movie=443&dvd=25&display=market

Quote:
Sealed Price: $ 566.67
Updated on: 2006-01-31

Used Price: $ 354.81
Updated on: 2006-10-07

Yep, around $350 for a DVD.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Tsunami... *ponders* I'm fairly certain it was a fluke, which is why I bought it in the first place -- I was just so ecstatic to see anything anime related, it didn't really matter what kind of merchandise it was, or for what series, because anime goodies were so rare and wonderful. Ahhhhh, the good old days, when vhs trading was king...*giggles* Wink
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ooh, this is great! I was actually thinking just the other day that I needed to watch more anime than just what's come out recently. ^^ Great to see another new column to look forward to!

This anime sounds really interesting to me...I'm normally not too big on "Robot" anime, but if Hisaishi scored it it's probably worth a look for the music alone. Plus, some of the segments sound really interesting to me. I'm not really sure if I'm up to hunting it down, but...at least I know if it's existance now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Care to explain the full range of Obscure-O-Meter? Does a bigger number shows a higher degree of rarity or the other way around?

Ref: The Soviet Military Award Page

I was planning on a scale of one to five (and making a nifty little meter icon at some point). I like this scale though -- I might just incorporate that into future columns!

I'm so glad to hear people are enjoying the column. I haven't written anything in so long that I get downright twitchy in anticipating feedback. I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to share with this community.

I have a list of titles of various levels of rarity that I'm planning for future columns. Some of them are really going to be ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to find. Others are going to be currently in print. Heck, some are even live-action (but with some anime tie-in). I might even cover a manga title on occasion.

In the case of the REALLY rare ones, I'm hoping somebody will fansub them and/or post a torrent somewhere. Fansubs aren't usually something we actively condone on ANN, but in some cases they really are the only way to see certain shows again. We'll stick to our guidelines of not telling people where to get them, but if fansubs are your only hope, we're gonna be honest.

I would love to hear suggestions on future titles for the column. If something was ever released on R1 DVD I probably already know about it, but if there's something REALLY obscure and cool that you'd like to see covered, I'd love to take a look. Either here or by PM is fine.

Please look forward to future columns! I'm having a lot of fun with these, and I hope you do too.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
That was an interesting column, I'm sure that there will be more good series that will come out of this column. I especially liked the setting for Presence, would love to see that one.
godakame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
I just checked ebay, and apparently robot carnival trading cards are easier to obtain than the actual film. Interesting. Though I did see one copy of the vhs floating around. Too bad my vhs player kicked the bucket years ago. This column also reminded me why I was staying up so late: to bid for the blue submarine #6 ova, which I completly forgot about, and now it's too late Mad ...I'm going to sleep now.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
I know this is a rather silly suggestion, but since I'm feeling ever so nostalgic, I'm going to say it anyway: The Fantastic Adventures of Unico. Very Happy

I know it's not that rare, and not even that good (oh hush, it's a classic from my childhood!), but it's sweet and sometimes quite disturbing (I still have the occasional nightmare about Kuruku the evil puppet on the Island of Magic) and newer fans probably have never heard of it. And besides, it's based on a Tezuka Osamu manga. You can't deny the Tezuka love, right? Wink

Maybe there could be one column set aside for these types of nostlagic shows, like some of the World Masterpiece Theatre stories, or even beloved classics like The Rose of Versailles. (Yes! BeruBara!)

But seriously, I love Unico. And so should you. *grins playfully*
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I was planning on a scale of one to five (and making a nifty little meter icon at some point).

There's one at Anime Web Guide. Not suggesting you to steal it, but you might be interested and could use it as a reference.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mhoram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
Wow, I'm gonna love this column!

I saw Robot Carnival way back when SciFi channel used to have an anime week once a year. I have no idea what year that was(the 90's have all seemed to blur together).

The only thing I really remember was the part where the massive treaded Robot Carnival was rolling into that village & a very ironic explosion at the end. I would love to see it again.

I'm glad someone brought this up. My first introduction to Anime was the sci-fi channel's playing of Robot Carnival, Lensman and others about once a year over five days. (Also Robotech on weekday mornings.)

That being said, Robot Carnival was a HUGE reason I fell in love with Anime. Unfortunately at the time (early 90's I think) the availability of anime was really bad in my area. Somehow though, between the time of Sci-Fi channel and the repopularization through Cartoon Network, I remembered Robot Carnival and how important it was and found a DVD copy. I don't remember when I got it or where I got it from, but it's a sub. Chinese and HORRIBLE english sub, but a sub none the less. I'm really glad to have it, though hopefully some day we'll see a real release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Here is a film that is, more or less, pure unmarketable art.

I wouldn't say that, at least not compared to Neo Tokyo.
Hell, I'd say Memories was more unmarketable than Robot Carnival, and it actually beat GITS in Japan.

Quote:
When I was a teenager, I must admit, I fast-forwarded through "Cloud," unable to appreciate its mood and quiet, cheerful outlook on life.

It was a nice seg-way for me.

Quote:
Other pop culture influences, some obvious and some mentioned in interviews,

Speaking of pop culture references, if you notice, Lucas must be a fan, because he modeled one of the robots in Sith after the one in "Nightmare".

Quote:
the 1984 film Streets of Fire (a HUGE hit in Japan)

For some reason...

Quote:
Producer A.P.P.P.'s seemingly stillborn US division, SuperTechnoArts, announced an inclination to re-release the film many years ago, but their current status is questionable.

They're alive; they just moved. I'm guessing the Jojo movie prequel's next for them.

Quote:
US RELEASE: Streamline Pictures' dubbed/edited VHS version has been out of print for years, but you may still be able to find it used on eBay or Amazon Marketplace.

I'm sure there are still copies at Blockbuster, assuming they didn't take down their anime vhs section...

Quote:
I would love to hear suggestions on future titles for the column.

Macross: DYRL, and that special they only released with Plus in Japan would be nice.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Ooohh rare Macross!

I'm looking forward to reading all the suggestions from fans on this thread as well. Smile
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
mhoram wrote:
Somehow though, between the time of Sci-Fi channel and the repopularization through Cartoon Network, I remembered Robot Carnival and how important it was and found a DVD copy. I don't remember when I got it or where I got it from, but it's a sub. Chinese and HORRIBLE english sub, but a sub none the less. I'm really glad to have it, though hopefully some day we'll see a real release.

Egads, a bootleg. I'm afraid this is also an option at this point, although I'm loathe to point people in this direction. I'd rather you download it, honestly. (FWIW, there has never been a proper English sub of Robot Carnival to my knowledge, so what you have is actually pretty good.) The bootleg is all over the place, and seems to be ripped from the remastered R2 DVD, although it seems to be missing the Streamline dub and its dubtitles.

For those looking for the Streamline VHS, there are 7 available on Amazon at prices ranging from $54 to $125.

When I was researching for the column, I felt very old to discover how truly rare this has become.

Great suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by jsevakis on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:17 am; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: Oh yeah, might I also suggest the Silent Mobius movies? Macek knew good sh*t when he saw it.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I know this is a rather silly suggestion, but since I'm feeling ever so nostalgic, I'm going to say it anyway: The Fantastic Adventures of Unico. Very Happy

I'll second the love of Unico. A friend of mine had taped it and has practically worn out the tape. How I'd love to see those get a DVD release (though I think Japan did get a DVD release a few years ago...)

This looks to be an interesting column. (though, as if I didn't have enough anime on my "to see" list with just new releases Anime hyper now I'm going to be adding anime that may be impossible to find)

Hmm..*tries to think of rare anime that may crop up* I've seen some rarer titles, though not all of them are "gems"...Cyber City OEDO 808 comes to mind....but I was awfully fond of Psycho Diver for some reason...
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I would love to hear suggestions on future titles for the column. If something was ever released on R1 DVD I probably already know about it, but if there's something REALLY obscure and cool that you'd like to see covered, I'd love to take a look. Either here or by PM is fine.

From my website above:

Lupin the Third (IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT / STREAMLINE PICTURES)

Battle Angel (ADV FILMS)

BArefoot Gen (IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT / STREAMLINE PICTURES)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8